Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iamwondering

hedge on property line

iamwondering
13 years ago

Our houses are fairly close together and between our side yards, there is a hedge on the property line. Although we both trim and keep it looking nice, my neighbor keeps cutting the top of the hedge down to about 3' high. When she does this, it allows a direct view from her living room window into our bedroom. I have asked her to please trim only the side and allow the top to grow up to about 6', matching the fence height at the back and giving more privacy to both of us. She doesn't listen.

I would like to be able to open our bedroom window with a little privacy. Right now, we can lay in bed and watch her tv. I hate having the room totally closed off. How can I stop her from cutting the hedge down so far?

Comments (8)

• larke
    13 years ago

Can you find out who actually planted the hedge? If it was your ex-owner, then the hedge is yours and you can force her to leave it alone except for trimming on her side, but if not, then maybe consider a fence, or another hedge, never mind miniblinds.

• windslam
    13 years ago

Put a trellis next to the hedge that will be in line of sight with her living room window and plant a rambling rose, clematis or even gourds on it. You'll still have a nice looking hedge with great looking flowers on your side.

• andrelaplume2
    13 years ago

You could plant something in front and let it grow.

Maybe she is older (?) and fears if it gets too high she will be unable to care for it...I know thats the case with my father in law. Perhaps you could offer to maintain it it at the 6 foot height?

My final alternative involves a shirtless 400 pound man, a G string and some very loud dance music...lets hope it does not come to that!

• stolenidentity
    13 years ago

Put something incredibly ugly and obnoxious up that she will detest and when she asks you to remove it, rediscuss the hedge issue. Even better, plant something ON YOUR own property and maintain it to your desire.

• brickeyee
    13 years ago

" If it was your ex-owner, then the hedge is yours and you can force her to leave it alone except for trimming on her side..."

She could trim it back to the property line.

Hedges are the same as trees.
    The part intruding over the line can be trimmed by the owner at their whim.

• ken_mce
    13 years ago

You can't reasonably force her to stop trimming the hedge. You can ask her nicely, and perhaps try to explore why she needs that part short.

You can however take any one of the suggestions here and add a sight blocker of some kind on your property. Problem solved.

• kevin45
    13 years ago

If it is her hedge, then she can trim it any way she wants. If it is your hedge, then you can tell her to stop trimming it. Plain and simple. It it is hers and you want privacy, then some type of screening on your property will be required as in a privacy fence or keep the blinds pulled to the bedroom.

• moonshadow
    13 years ago

I would like to be able to open our bedroom window with a little privacy.

Are you talking about opening it up (for air) or opening curtains? If it's opening curtains, have you looked into window film? Home Depot carries it, not sure of the brand. Lowe's carries Gila. My local Ace carries ArtScapes. They make a tinted one that's for blocking out heat. It's a little reflective on the outer side. (Not like a mirror, more like silvery color.) You can see out (like looking through sunglasses), but no one can see in. They also make some for privacy. Go here to Gila and click on the styles at the right for a bedroom, you can see out it looks on their model.