Return to the Home Disasters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sill Damage from Termites - Repair?

Posted by majorxlr8n (My Page) on
Wed, May 31, 06 at 3:02

I recently received an estimate of $3600 to replace roughly 30 feet of sill at the foundation, and four feet of drywall above the sill due to termite damage.

My insurance company will not cover this, so I will have to foot the bill, which I do not mind (but would rather not have to pay).

We previously had some settling (prior to the termite damage) which caused some very minor drywall corner separation. There is one new 12" crack in the drywall in one room only.

The company that provided the estimate did not remove all the base mouldings, so we really don't know how much of the sill and vertical studs are actually damaged.

Here's the problem. The adjuster said that jacking up the house (to replace the sill) can cause more problems: additional drywall damage, skewed doors & windows, damaged ceilings, and plumbing issues.

I want to tend to my home properly but don't want to make this into a major, expensive deal if its unnecessary. Any thoughts?

Much Thanks!
Marty

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sill Damage from Termites - Repair?

You'll need to be able to get at the sill from both the inside and the outside. If the inside is drywall it will be fairly easy to open up. Not sure what the outside material is. Usually the outside material is more difficult to open up. I'd start with the inside and use a zawsall to cut nails and pull out the sill plate. You can then prepare an new sill plate (suggest pressure treated material) and drive it into place. Be careful about using too much force when driving it it place. you will crack stucco and other areas if you're not careful.

o
RE: Sill Damage from Termites - Repair?

Gardenguy's idea are good, I guess he means a reciprocating saw? I don't know if this is a good DIY job though, it's major and structural, and must be done properly.

Pressure treated's a good idea, and you should take action to kill any remaining colonies, get in the experts.

No simple answer and you won't know the full extent of the damage til the walls come off.....but don't delay, and don't skimp.

if the house is jacked up properly, problems should be minimal, and it's better to suffer a little now, than have major sags or collapse later.

Don't take the lowest bid unless the person really knows their stuff - repair/renovation is 10 times harder than building new.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here