Return to the Home Disasters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Council tree fell and damaged my property

Posted by dylanc123 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 23, 14 at 17:05

We have this Ash tree that split and a large branch fell onto my property in October when we had those severe winds and smashed the fence and decking, narrowly missing the house. It was evident that the branch had rot which can be seen in the photo. We are trying to get the council to pay for the damages. However they are saying this is an act of God.

Our claim is the tree was rotten and would have come down eventually. The winds just made it happen quicker.

We feel strongly about this and have enquired about getting an official tree inspection and report but have found this could cost as much as GBP600 to get done.

Really need some good advice on how to proceed.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Council tree fell and damaged my property

By "council" I assume you mean this tree was on public property, and therefore you would like the local government to pay for the damage. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I am not an attorney and certainly not familiar with UK laws in this regard. In my amateur opinion, the city could only be negligent if there was evidence the tree was dangerous and they neglected to do anything about it. If you noticed it was rotten and about to fall and contacted them, and they did not follow through, you might have a case. However it appears from your photo - without the benefit of seeing the tree before - that the rot was inside the branch and not visible. In the US you would have a hard time holding someone responsible for negligence. As a result, one's homeowner's insurance would cover it as an 'act of God' or basically, an accident.

Do you have homeowner's insurance? What was their assessment of the case?

o
RE: Council tree fell and damaged my property

I agree. These things happen every day. Since nobody (including you) knew the tree was rotten beforehand, your homeowners insurance should cover it.

This would be classified under "stuff happens".

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here