Return to the Home Disasters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mushrooms erupting through paved driveway!

Posted by bop28 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 21, 02 at 14:48

My cousin in Northern NJ, has very strong mushrooms that break through the surface of his driveway! He has tried fungicides, but they don't seem to work. Has anyone else ever heard of such a thing? I really didn't know that mushrooms could be so powerful and destructive. If he didn't send me the picture, I wouldn't have believed it. Help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mushrooms erupting through paved driveway!

If they are morels (sponge) he could sell them and get enough money to repair any damage. LOL.

o

Mushrooms will continue to produce where there is decomposing organic material like scraps of wood from the construction site, tree limbs or roots, or other debris. The mushrooms will continue to produce until the material is completely decomposed. The mushrooms are part of the decompensation process as Mother Nature planned.

o

If they are coming through a paved driveway, then he needs to look at the thickness of it. If it is then, time to redo.

o

It is not unusual to see mushrooms erupt through 2-4 inches of asphalt.

o

Try salt, straight from the table. Another option is boiling water.

o

There is a scientific explaination of how the mushroom can do this at the link below

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.newscientist.com/lastword/answers/186plants.jsp?tp=plants2

o

Did anything work to get rid of the mushrooms? We have them growing in the wood trim on our garage window (in NY). Have tried bleach but it just keeps growing and eating away at the wood.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here