Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bop28

Mushrooms erupting through paved driveway!

bop28
22 years ago

My cousin in Northern NJ, has very strong mushrooms that break through the surface of his driveway! He has tried fungicides, but they don't seem to work. Has anyone else ever heard of such a thing? I really didn't know that mushrooms could be so powerful and destructive. If he didn't send me the picture, I wouldn't have believed it. Help!

Comments (15)

• twelvepole
    22 years ago

Mushrooms will continue to produce where there is decomposing organic material like scraps of wood from the construction site, tree limbs or roots, or other debris. The mushrooms will continue to produce until the material is completely decomposed. The mushrooms are part of the decompensation process as Mother Nature planned.

• ChrisAK
    21 years ago

If they are coming through a paved driveway, then he needs to look at the thickness of it. If it is then, time to redo.

• twelvepole
    21 years ago

It is not unusual to see mushrooms erupt through 2-4 inches of asphalt.

• TwoAcres
    21 years ago

Try salt, straight from the table. Another option is boiling water.

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    21 years ago

There is a scientific explaination of how the mushroom can do this at the link below

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.newscientist.com/lastword/answers/186plants.jsp?tp=plants2

• chiptmc
    21 years ago

Did anything work to get rid of the mushrooms? We have them growing in the wood trim on our garage window (in NY). Have tried bleach but it just keeps growing and eating away at the wood.

• foodonastump
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Figured I'd bump this and see if anyone's come up with something easier than ripping up the driveway and removing soil, in the past 14 years. One mushroom poked through my driveway last year, and now I've got several.

• toxcrusadr
    7 years ago

Did you have a tree die, shrubs removed, etc. in the area?

The problem is that the mushroom itself is just the 'fruit' and killing IT does not kill the fungus itself which is down in the soil, any more than picking an apple kills the tree.

If you can find the source of what it's feeding on, then you might be able to do something.

I'm afraid pouring or injecting fungicide will not do it, but I'm just guessing.

What was posted above about mushrooms fading away when the food is decomposed, is true. Hence the question about dead roots.

• lindac92
    7 years ago

I would dust with sulfur.....may or may not fix it....but it will be cheap and minimally harmful.

• foodonastump
    7 years ago

Thanks tox - I really can't imagine what "food" is there that hasn't been there for many years. Some of them are in a section of the driveway that was added at the time, but last year's, and the ones pictured, are under what was alsways driveway

Hi Linda - I'll look into sulfer. I figure it can't hurt to dump something in there before patching it up.

• jemdandy
    7 years ago

In my area, asphalt driveway installers spray weed killer on the underlayment before adding the asphalt. Otherwise, weeds have been known to poke through 2 to 3 inches of paving. In your area, it appears that both a fungicide and weedkiler are needed under the paving. Unfortunately, there is not a good was to put these chemicals under the paving once it has been laid. You might be able to do spot treatment by putting a hole through the paving and adding chemicals via a hypodermic syringe and then plunging the hole. The hole should fit tight around the syringe.

• cleangeek
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Linda is spot on:

Fungi hate Sulfur so I would use Epsom Salt, Epsom Salt is 13% sulfate. Mix 1 tsp per gallon of water. Epsom Salt doesn't harm plants though, plants love magnesium and sulfate.

Bacteria and fungi are mortal enemies, bacteria produce sulfates as they eat fertilizer and decaying organic material. Fungi produce toxins as they eat decaying organic material.

• jemdandy
    7 years ago

In my area, pavers as part of asphalt driveway installation, treat the base underlayment with weedkiller and fungicide before laying the paving.

• toxcrusadr
    7 years ago

Bacteria produce sulfates? Fungi produce toxins? That's a distorted (or at best, very incomplete) description of what happens in the subsurface.

Fungi are quite beneficial. Certain classes of them decompose wood fibers, which allows bacteria to finish the job of decomposing the wood into humus. Without fungi we'd be a mile deep in dead wood. Also, many fungi are known to interact with plants and perform essential roles soil fertility. They are hardly mortal enemies of bacteria, although they sometimes prefer different growing conditions and substrates.

Fungi have a bad reputation, but if you pay attention to soil and plant scientists, they're finding out just how essential and valuable they are.

It's too bad the ones in this case are poking holes in the driveway, but it's not because they are a menace or a disease that doesn't belong. Obviously they like it there! I still think there may be a dead tree root nearby.