Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bjen_gw

Rats live under the deck!

bjen
16 years ago

I believe I have rats live under my deck. I see holes on the dirt. Any suggestions? How about the Shake Away Rodent product? Is it very effective?

Thanks in advance for answers.

Comments (9)

• socks
    16 years ago

What kind of holes, shallow, deep? Are the holes like burrows where an animal lives? Or are they shallow depressions? I don't think rats or mice dig holes in the dirt.

• annzgw
    16 years ago

I agree with socks. I have small holes in my lawn from field mice, but the original holes were from moles.

Do you have chipmunks or ground squirrels? They'll dig holes.

If you use bait, be sure no other animals have access to the area.

• emmhip
    16 years ago

We had rats under our shed for awhile. My hubby poured antifreeze down the holes and filled them up. We haven't seen one since.

*He didn't tell me he was doing this, or I probably would've objected. We had tried a bunch of other stuff before this, and my dog even accidentally ate some rat poison at one point (she's fine, by the way, went to the vet etc.) We tried the stuff that smells like fox pee, everything. I only saw one rat the entire time (6 month duration) and always just saw the holes. We have no ground squirrels (north east) and no moles or chipmunks. We found out that our neighbors behind us, had been throwing a bunch of trash into the swamp area there, and that is what attracted them.

• alohamillion123
    15 years ago

we had rats burrow and live under the cement pad in our driveway. I could never figure out if it was caving/ backfilling or an animal making the holes until I drove in our driveway one night and my headlights caught a big fat nasty rat hightailing it into the hole. GROSSSSSSSSSSS!

I kept them fed a steady and unlimited supply of rat poison and never seen them again.

• bmrbabe
    15 years ago

It is really bad for the environment (think ground water) to pour antifreeze down a rat hole.

• clg7067
    15 years ago

"It is really bad for the environment (think ground water) to pour antifreeze down a rat hole."

What was he thinking? I watch "Verminator" on the Discovery channel sometimes. They use the T-Rex for rats.

Here is a link that might be useful: T-Rex

• Happyladi
    15 years ago

D-Con works very well, much better then traps. Good luck!

• samridley1985_hotmail_co_uk
    13 years ago

Help.....

We have seen some droppings pest control have been and checked under decking. My partner has seen one but there is another nose under there (sounds like piegions) its a weird noise panting what could it be ?