Return to the Home Disasters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tornado damage - leaning tree

Posted by jittery_kricket (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 24, 06 at 8:44

2 weeks ago my neighborhood was hit by an F1 tornado. It damaged 8 homes on my side of the street and took down about 200 trees. My house is not inhabitable at this time but I have had all the fallen trees removed off of my house and yard. I still have about 10 trees left standing in my backyard. We had more thunderstorms and rain a few days ago. I was at the house yesterday and noticed that a large Poplar tree in my backyard is leaning. It is leaning at about a 65 degree angle. The ground around the tree has pulled up and you can see under the roots. I guess the roots go down pretty deep and that is what is holding it in the ground. But we are supposed to have more rain on Wednedsay and Thursday and I know that the rain is going to loosen the ground enough that this tree will fall. It is a huge tree and it is going to land smack dab in the middle of my next door neighbor's house. They had some tornado/tree damage as well and although I think the house is still inhabitable, they are staying elsewhere and no one knows where.

My question - if I have this tree cut down before it falls, can I add the cost of removal to my growing list of tornado damage and will my homeowners insurance pay for it? If the tree falls before I can get it cut down, can I be charged with negligence and be forced to pay for their home repairs even though this tree was fine before the tornado?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tornado damage - leaning tree

it will likely be a second claim, with a new deductible. the tree was not judged to be damaged bad enough to come down initially, and is now leaning due to a second storm. so it is a second claim.

now tha tyou know the tree is a liability, you may be responsible for damage. but your neighbor would have to take you to court to do it. cheaper to remove it now, even if you have to pay out of pocket.

o

I sold insurance in Michigan for a while...policies here said that tree removal was only covered if it landed on covered property. Meaning it had to land on a fence, house or shed.
Not sure what you have in Florida..
Karen L
But, it will surely be a new claim if its covered at all.

o

Are there any other tree near it? Is it something you want to try to save or just have removed? Is there a way you could put a rope on it and put pressure on it away from neighbors house. Chain it to another tree temporarily?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here