Return to the Home Disasters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wasp and termites

Posted by hnewman (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 19, 08 at 6:44

We are moving into a house that has wood siding and there are wasp everywhere! With 3 young kids this is a big problem. Is there anything I can do to get rid of them? I am also afraid of getting termites. I would like to mulch my flower beds along the house, but afraid of inviting them in. Is there anything I can use to keep them away?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wasp and termites

I don't know where you live, but it is suddenly very warm here in the Philadelphia area (80-90) and there are wasps everywhere in my yard right now. And more bees of every type than I remember seeing before. I am wondering if it is just this early warm weather. I haven't seen any yellow jackets yet, thankfully.

o

Unless yo see nests I don't think is much you can do to keep them away.

o

Keep the mulch away from the foundation of the house to avoid attracting termites with an appetizer before they start on your home.

As for the wasps, sit outside about 20 feet away facing the house and watch to see where they are coming from. If you don't see any obvious nests hanging under the eaves, they have probably discovered a hole and are nesting in the attic of inside the walls. Once you figure out where, wait until dark and solidly plug the hole. Spray foam works for bigger gaps, a shimwhittled out of wood will usually handle a small hole. You can also use silicone and a piece cut from an alminum can to cover a hole if it's in an area where it can't be seen.

o

find the nests and spray them AFTER DARK. the wasps won't fly after it gets dark, so you can get right up on them and kill them.

it would probably be in your best interest to hire and exterminator to come regularly spray for pests and to perform a termite treatment onthe house. around here the treatment runs on avg about 1200 for the first treatment then maybe 200 yearly. other pest treatments run about 50.00 a quarter, well worth it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here