Return to the Home Disasters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
House with no heat this winter

Posted by lsimms (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 5, 14 at 23:56

My husband inherited a house in upstate NY and cut all utilities off over the winter.

House has well water so all toilets were dry when he left.

What should I expect? Is everything gonna be covered with mold? I'm kinda flipping out coz I'm going to move there to clean and get it ready for sale.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: House with no heat this winter

Considering the temperatures this winter, as long as the roof didn't leak, it's probably been preserved pretty well in the deep freeze. Mold should be the least of your worries in upstate NY in winter.

o

If the toilets and other water traps in the house are dry, then sewer or septic gases have been pouring into the house and it's going to reek!
Usually, you'd pour anti-freeze into the traps if you're turning the heat off.

o

You should be able to air that out by opening windows though, and as soon as you get there run water into every drain to block them off from sewer gas again.

o

• Posted by mdln IL (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 13, 14 at 23:58

my surprise - in a house without heat all winter - basement floor heaved

o

My main concern would be that the house temperature would get lower than freezing and that the pipes would burst. Even if the utilities are shut off, the water pipes could contain enough water to cause damage, even if the taps were all opened. You may not have water spilling out if the water is shut off, but when it is turned back on you will find out if you are going to have flooding.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here