Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aerosmith_gw

Water Main Break! Ahhhh!

aerosmith
17 years ago

Jan. 24th my husband found thousands of gallons of water pouring out of the ground. Our sump was pumping in the crawlspace every minute. It was flowing down our driveway and into the crack between the garage floor and apron. It also got over the sidewalk and was dumping at the corner of our house. The city couldn't repair it for hours until the gas line was located etc. They did nothing to divert the water to a huge drain located at the corner of our property. The snow acted as a dam and channeled the water directly toward the front of our house. Yes, it was freezing temps. I took digital photos of the mess. We now have cracked and heaving in the concrete garage apron. We also had the brick on the corner of the house develop a crack over and inch wide. There are several other smaller cracks in another wall of brick. The adjustor hasn't been here yet to assess the damage. I am thinking a structural engineer should check below grade for foundation damage. We know there is a crack along the mortar line in the block. We have pictures from June that show no crack. We just had our crawlspace conditioned and the sump moved this summer. Good thing we did that work. The mayor showed up at my house the day of the break because I left him a message about how unhappy I was with their response. We are a small city but doesn't anyone have common sense? Anyone else ever have to deal with city insurance etc?

Comments (3)