Return to the Home Disasters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Neighbor cut down trees on property line

Posted by john4740 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 12, 11 at 21:46

I have lived in my home for 36 years. There were trees between our property and the lot next door. That house was purchased a few years ago, maybe 3 years. The trees were fir trees that grew straight up with little overhang, but one was different, grew very tall and wide and the roots were damaging the driveways. The neighbor and I talked and I agreed to split the cost of cutting down that one tree. He cut down ALL the trees and those other trees provided significant shade to my house, which is now much hotter in the summer. He claims the trees were on his property, not on the property line, but they are gone so there is no way to tell. Do I have any recourse? If they are "his" can I sue him for the damage to my drivewy?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Neighbor cut down trees on property line

"Do I have any recourse? If they are "his" can I sue him for the damage to my drivewy?"

Generally no, you should have trimmed back the portions on your property causing damage.

You may need to talk with a local attorney though, there are some places with different rules.

o

Unless he removed the stumps, you can determine where the trees were in relation to the property line if you have an accurate survey. However, it may just start a fight with no positive outcome at this point. If you determine they were your trees, you are willing to sue him to replace them, and you are willing to put up with an aggravated neighbor for as long as he lives next to you, then you've got a choice to make.

o

The stumps were removed, and at this point I think it's not worth the additional aggravation. We are already not talking, but I don't want to start a war.

o

My neighbor took out a my great hedge when he built his new home. I just chalked it up to a person that is rude and let it go. I would get a survey to find out exactly where the property line is for future reference.

o

Your money is probably better spent on new trees than an attorney. In theory you might be able to recover some damages if you can prove the trees were on the property line or your property. But unless they're super-valuable trees you're not going to get a ton of money, and the fees for attorneys are going to run you a lot.

Rather than pay an attorney $10000 why not spend $5000 on a few nice, somewhat mature trees and put them inside your property line.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here