Return to the Home Disasters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Box Elder bugs inside house

Posted by fernhillhall (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 21, 06 at 18:45

Last summer we had a swarm of Box Elders on the west side of the house. I read that it's pointless to try to eradicate them with sprays because more will come along from the same tree site anyway. The best remedy was to seal any cracks around that general area so they can't get into the walls to spend the winter. Well they did anyway, and now that the weather is warming about two dozen a day have made their way into my family room for the last two weeks. It's getting worse every day. I've looked for their source of entry without success. Can I assume that they will eventually all come in to be caught or fly away outside? Or will they breed in my walls? Oh my. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Box Elder bugs inside house

I hate those things. I have them to. They seem to be attracted to white. They like to hank out on my front door because it is white and gets a lot of sun. They also like my other white doors but my front door is the worst. They love to sneak in when I open the door. I spoted them 2 weeks ago when it was almost 60 degrees. I have in the past sprayed them with some Raid when there was a lot of them. I wish I had a permanent solution to the problem. Dont they come from some Box elder tree ot somthing like that? All I have is Maple trees.

o

I just did a google to find out what are "box elders" I think I am thinking of the same bug but google confirmed it. In my search, I also found out a few links, here's one. I suggest you try a google, cause you can come across prevention and cures.. Seems like prevention is the best way to deal with these pests.

http://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/boxelder.htm

Jay

o

Box elder bugs die like flies (????) when you spray them with soapy water. The best preventive I have found is to spray the house and door where they congregate in the fall with a soap water solution.
Linda C

o

Yes, box elder bugs come from box elder trees, and you can kill them by spraying with soapy water. We had them years ago and the remedy was to convince the neighbor to cut down the box elder tree. That will get rid of them. Steve

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here