Return to the Home Disasters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

 o
whats in my walls its scary

Posted by jadefarraefb (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 30, 09 at 15:44

they wake us up and they are scratching


Follow-Up Postings:

 o
RE: whats in my walls its scary

Well, gee, be careful not to provide any elaborate information - we might actually be able to help!


 o
RE: whats in my walls its scary

most likely rodents. you need to get rid of them with glue traps/cages/srping traps/whatever means necessary. in extreme infestations you may even have to open the walls, but that is rare.

i would tell you to use poison, but be careful cause if they die in there the stink will be bad for a few days to weeks.

once they are gone, plug all holes in teh exterior wall, under the crawlspace, and in the attic. if the hole is large enough for your pinky to fit in it, then a mouse can squeeze thru.


 o
RE: whats in my walls its scary

In theory poisons are supposed to dry out the corpses so they don't smell, also the critters are supposed to seek water so they leave the building.

Poisons are arguably cruel and can be dangerous, especially if you have pets that might potentially eat the poisoned corpses.

Glue traps are regarded as incredibly cruel, critters have been known to pull limbs off to get out. The good old fashioned spring trap is best, but if you are not seeing the critters in the house, then you need to work out how they are getting into the walls, and put traps nearby.

One of the best baits for traps I've found is salami, tied on with thread so they can't lift it off. It doesn't spoil, has a strong smell which will attract them and keeps working for ages.


 o
RE: whats in my walls its scary

In theory poisons are supposed to dry out the corpses so they don't smell, also the critters are supposed to seek water so they leave the building.

yeah, my FIL put out some poison before coming to our house for 2 weeks. when i took him home last Saturday the house STUNK. sure enough, there were 2 dead mice in his bedroom, just a foot from teh poison and near the toilet. no they were not dried out at all. decomp takes the same course no matter if it is poison, trap, or natural death.


 o
RE: whats in my walls its scary

I used glue traps when we had mice. It was AWFUL. The poor things get their feet & tails stuck to the trap, and then DH had to take them out and hit them with a shovel to kill them - put them out of their misery. One poor guy had his NOSE stuck in the glue. We got 2 cats & that took care of the mice problem - haven't seen once since.


 o
RE: whats in my walls its scary

I think glue traps are indeed cruel. They have yet to invent anything significantly better than a good ol' mousetrap, they are pretty quick as far as I can tell. If at all possible, try them first.

Salami as bait I've found is best, tie it on with thread. The smell of it helps cover up the human smell on the trap.


 o
RE: whats in my walls its scary

The glue traps really are awful - but it can be quite difficult to figure out something to use if there are small children in the house. We eventually used the glue traps, but only in the garage - figuring that if one of the kids got ahold of that, the damage would be less than a potentially broken finger from a normal mousetrap.

Thankfully, after we caught about three that way, it seems they've all gone. Not sure what we'd use in the future if they came back!


 o
RE: whats in my walls its scary

Best thing to do with the glue traps when they get mice on them is drop them into a bucket of water. No bashing required, it's quick and fairly painless. I don't like the glue traps though, we use spring traps on the rare occasions that we have a mouse.

Ours used to get into the attic through a joint in the garage ceiling that was sloppily put together. Once we got that sealed up and put some traps in the garage, it's rare to hear the night time scratching.


 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!


Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.


Learn more about in-text links on this page here