Return to the Home Disasters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Generator noise

Posted by joulesR4me (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 23, 05 at 15:16

Pardon me folks ... but I hoping some of you might have some advice for me and another neighbor ... I'm not even certain that this is the right forum ...

An adjacent neighbor just installed a HUGE permanent home generator. I'm thinking that this is due to the awful power outages that we suffered from last years' hurricane season (central FL) and they're getting ready. They own the local car dealership - well, practaically all of them in our town. He pretty much gets what he wants in our town - has the police & city departments under his thumb - if you get my drift (we've witnessed so many *less-than-ethical issues already). His home is about 7000sqft and the generator is about 1000 sq ft (well, maybe I'm exaggerating a wee bit) and every time that thing kicks on, the whole neighborhood hears it! With all our power outages from the frequent rain storms, it's fired up many times already this year. It starts within about 10 seconds of a power glitch. So, any idea if there's anything we (the neighbors) can do???? City hall already said that it's probably w/i noise restrictions - but then again - they love this guy! I sort of recall that, during last years hurricane season, there was some news about not running generators between 11pm & 7 am ......
Thanks for any advice you might have!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Generator noise

Don't necessarily go by what "City Hall" says. If they're online,read the noise statutes for your jurisdiction, or go to city hall and read them if need be. Also you say "we" as in plural neighbors. Are you sure y'all are pretty unified on this issue? Just curious...
Hey we have a guy just like that where I live...well, 2 or 3 of 'em, actually. Sheesh...good luck

o

We have a generator and it tests itself once a week for about 5 minutes. Luckily we currently live on 9 acres so the noise doesn't bother the neighbors. (That I no of.)

Maybe it's time to get REAL friendly with the neighbor, so that they'll offer you a comfortable place when the electricity goes out again.

I have been hearing predictions Florida is going to have another hurricane heavy summer. Have you thought about putting one in too? That rumbling is music to my ears when the electricity goes out.

Jerri

o

joules... if his house is about 7,000 square feet, and since he has so much money, I'd assume he didn't build in the midst of 1100 sq. ft. concrete shacks like where I live, so you must be pretty close. Is your beef that you don't have the whole house generator?

Generators are necessary.. most in my dinky neighborhood have the noisy ones too, but it keeps our refrigerators running.

If you just can't afford a 'whole house', go get a good big one and buy the kit that lets you tie in with the whole house... under $500 at Sears, generator excluded.

o

I'm surprised there wasn't a noise barrier of some kind installed with the generator.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here