Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wolfe15136

Gas Company Disaster

wolfe15136
16 years ago

The gas company was just here this morning. They said that they were doing a survey of the lines outside that they do every 3 years. They said the line to my house was leaking out by the street, and they had to come in to check. They checked the inside lines too. They said the inside lines were leaking too, and shut off the gas to my house. There has never been any smell of gas anywhere.

They won't turn it back on until I replace all of the inside and outside lines and move the meter outside. So now, I have no heat, no hot water, and no way to cook.

I live in Pennsylvania, in a 100 year old house. I've been paying about $240 a month for gas this winter. A little more sometimes. The appliances I'm using date to the 70s and 80s.

So, my question is: do I pay to replace all of the gas lines (estimate from plumber who was just here $4500) or do I go all electric and replace the appliances?

If I replace all of the gas appliances, what do you recommend for heating? The current furnace is forced air, and the cooling is connected to it.

Also, what do you think of those tankless water heaters?

Comments (2)

• lucy
    16 years ago

This is your third posting on the forums (unless I've missed some) - get yourself a space heater for now and take the advice you got on the other forum.

• annzgw
    16 years ago

Well, I couldn't find the other post or the advice so I'll add mine quickly.

Going with all electric may not be an option if your service panel isn't large enough to handle all the new circuits. It can be done, but you'd have to pay for the upgrade to a larger service panel.
    If your budget allows it you can put in a new panel, run new circuits and buy all new electrical appliances, but it'll be costly.
    IMO, the most economical route is to repair the gas lines.

Be happy that the gas company checked your home. One of our friends lost his home last year due to a gas leak. Luckily no one was injured.