Return to the Home Disasters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Overlodaded Drawer Bottom Broken---Minor Disaster

Posted by rosewest (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 28, 07 at 12:41

I've been overloading a double wide filing chest by storing hobby equipment instead of using it as a file cabinet. The bottom of the drawer is very, very thin particle board that wasn't intended to hold anything at all and now the bottom of the drawer has broken out. I'm not a carpenter but need to figure out how to put a sturdier bottom on this drawer---the mess I took out of this drawer has made the room a disaster area. How can I make this conversion relatively inexpensively? I have no carpentry skills and don't own more than a hammer and a few nails. What should I use for the bottom of the drawer and who can I get to help me do it other than an expensive finish carpenter? Thanks in advance!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Overlodaded Drawer Bottom Broken---Minor Disaster

You might want to ask over in the Woodworking Forum. Tell them what kind of materials the filing cabinet is made from, how the drawer sides are made (flat wood, metal, etc.) and other relevant information.

It should be fairly easy to put in a new bottom made of thin plywood - but you need to provide more information to the right group of people.

Here is a link that might be useful: Woodworking Forum

o
RE: Overlodaded Drawer Bottom Broken---Minor Disaster

Thank you---I've posted over there and have gotten some helpful advice...I appreciate your response here.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here