Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
splitrock_gw

dropped by insurance company

splitrock
12 years ago

We had two claims on our homeowner's insrance policy, (the second one a very large claim), within 3 years. State Farm dropped us, then Farm Bureau dropped us after only a few weeks, because they recieved a report from State Farm. We had told the Farm Bureau agent everything, but for some reason they said they would insure us, then cancelled three weeks later.

Does anyone know of a company that is mot too picky about whom they insure? The house has been completely repaired and is in very good condition.

Comments (8)

• texasredhead
    12 years ago

You say nothing about the nature of the claims and how soon after you insured your home with State Farm that these claims were filed. Also, I have never heard of one insurance company bad mouthing a client to another company unless it involved your credit report. By the way, all of our cars and homes have been insured by State Farm since 1965.

• splitrock
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We also were loyal, multiple policy holders, and State Farm clients for 25 years. There was no credit report issue. The claim was for over $50,000 and was caused by a compression pipe that opened while we were away from home.
    State Farm did a good job paying for the claim, but then dropped us. The actual report passed to the other companies is called something like an A plus report, but was generated by State Farm.

• texasredhead
    12 years ago

Sorry, don't know what a compression pipe is unless you mean a compression fitting such as might be found on an ice maker water line.

• don_1_2006
    12 years ago

You might want to google a plus insurance report to get a better idea how this works. It says it protects both the insurer and the consumer but that in my opinion is bogus.

• texasredhead
    12 years ago

Insurance companies have an A-Plus database that tells insurance underwriters the number of claims on any given property. All insurance companies subscribe to this database. My suspicion is that you will have to pay an increased premium with exclusions due to having at least one very large claim which State Farm probably considerates it to be neglagence.

• sacto_diane
    12 years ago

You may want to get a copy of your CLUE (Comprehensive Loss Underwriters Exchange) report and see if there is any info on your house that the insurance companies are using to deny you a policy

http://www.privacyrights.org/fs/fs26-CLUE.htm

You should be able to ask for information on getting a copy of the report from the insurance company that turned you down. You can also access a free copy on line (see above link)

Diane

Here is a link that might be useful: CLUE Info

• azzalea
    12 years ago

Have you tried calling your state's insurance commissioner? They should be able to point you in the direction of what companies are willing to insure those perceived as higher risks, or more difficult to insure.

The other thing I'd recommend, in any case, is to go through an independent insurance agent. The kind of agent who represents many different companies--they can search out the best option for you and often find you the best price. We've always used an independent. And we pay far less for car insurance than anyone I know--because our agent looked around and got us a great deal. I've checked over the years, and no one (not even those companies that advertise that their prices are SO low) can even come close to meeting what we pay. I should think, in your situation, an independent would be a great asset, saving you a lot of time and legwork.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"Have you tried calling your state's insurance commissioner?"

Many states have assigned risk pools.

The rates are often high, but they assign applicants to insurance companies that do business in the state, with the state setting the rates that may be charged.

The assignments are often made by what portion of the insurance business in the whole state each company does.

It allows insurance to be obtained, while spreading the risk around to all the companies that do business in the state.