Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
morgan88_gw

flooded basement

morgan88
18 years ago

it has been raining a lot here in ohio for the last week or so. this morning i went down to the basement to refill the water softener when i noticed that the bottom step was gone. yes, i now have about two feet of water in my basement. i know this is a common problem. i was just curious about the experiences of others. about how much will this cost me? how long will this take? any other concerns? i'm feeling pretty dejected right now. any advice would be appreciated.

Comments (5)

• louisville_card
    18 years ago

Kind of hard to tell you cost or time since we don't know finishes, size, affected applainces or furnace, or how quickly you got the water out.

I've had this happen twice in our last house. First time I got the water out almost immediately, cut out the carpet and pad, and hauled it upstairs myself. Water remediation firm sent in by insurance company set up dehumidifiers and blowers that ran for about 3-4 days. They tested behind drywall and found no moisture so we just put down carpert again.

Second happened while we were out of town. Returned on New Years day to find less than a foot of water. Called insurance company and they sent remediation company out and they did all the cut out of carpet, pad, and about 1 foot of drywall that appeared to be soaked. We were fortunate that our newly installed furnace was on blocks because the water was lapping at the top of the block, but stayed out of the cabinet. This was a more expensive claim and took about 3-4 weeks of drying and repair work because of depth of the water and how long it was in contact with the walls.

Had a complete water-proofing sytem put in with our current basement remodel. Barriers on all finished walls that ties into a perimeter drain system that feeds to a sump pit. Installed a double sump pump system with a battery backup so we have hopefully protected this basement from flooding again.

Good luck, I know what you're going through.

• maxthedog
    18 years ago

yeah, I hear ya too. Happens to me every rainy season.

There are various fixes offered by different people each with their pros and cons.

Each problem may be unique too, so a particular fix may not work for your particular situation.

But essentially there are 3 or 4 things that can be done, ranging from cheap to mondo expensive.

Cheap is redirecting the downspouts out and away from the house at least 6 feet. (what I did and worked all but 90%)

Next is to use waterproofing cementitious mix slapped on the INTERIOR of your concrete foundation wall and also using hydraulic cement at the foundation/slab joints. Still pretty cheap.

Next is to have your perimeter storm sewers flushed and cleaned. Not too expensive, but if you add a sewer cam to the end of the snake then it could be a bit more.

Next is to dig a hole in the basement and install a sump pump to pump out the water as the hole fills up with water. Getting to get to more $$$ here.

Next is getting quite expensive, and probably the only "true" way to fix the problem as many "purists" would recommend. That would be to excavate around your foundation right down to the footings, re-coat the EXTERIOR of the foundation with a waterproofing agent and waterproofing screen, and at the same time inspect and maybe replace the drainage pipe and add better drainage rock. This excavation would also extend all the way out to the city's sewer connection.

So far I have only redirected the downspouts, but am not 100% satisfied, but I think if I go to using a waterproofing cementitious coating on the foundation wall on the INTERIOR and a hydraulic cement on the foundation/slab joint, I should get better results. If that doesn't work, I'll move up the cost ladder and get the sewer flushed. But that is as far as I want to go with my problem.

Hopefully there are some options here for you to consider. Not all will work, and some may,depending on your particular problem.

• jannie
    18 years ago

My basement used to flood, when we got heavy rain. It seemed to seep up from below, came up in the cracks between vinyl floor tiles. We traced the problem to standing water behind our garage. Added about six inches of top soil and lots of grass seed, the problem vanished. We have since carpeted downstairs, no more problems with water, except for the two times my clothes washer overflowed. My own fault, the hose got directed behind the washer instead of into the stationary tub. Clean-up was hard, luckily I have a wet-dry vacuum. Something every home needs, IMO.

• rustyj14
    18 years ago

Our local Volunteer fire co. would go out and pump out any standing water in folks' basements! Still do, in fact!
    One place, the hillside behind the house had wet weather springs inside of it. The basement drain was not in the center of the floor, but in one corner, a piece of the old red sewer tile leading out to the ditch beside the road! When it rained hard, the water would come in thru the walls and floor, but the drain was big enough to handle it.
    Both times they called us, they had 3 feet of standing water in the basement! We couldn't figure out how this happened at the time, but when we got it pumped out---there---stuffing up the drain, was a 4 inch round, red, rubber kids ball! both times!
    The water squirting up thru the floor was tricky! If we stood on one spout, 3 more would start up! And, the wall was like a sieve! It had 1 inch spouts of water flowing out 3 feet from the wall! I don't know if the folks ever got it fixed, but we haven't been called back there for a long time!

• chesdin2
    18 years ago

We had the interior perimeter drains installed with a sump pump with very good results.

Another problem we had was raw sewage backing up through the floor drains during heavy rain (disgusting!), so we had to install an anti-backflow valve. Not a cheapie, but something like the FloodGate valve by Jay R. Smith mfg.

$9000 later, we had a bullt-proof dry basement. Remodeled, and stayed dry after that.