Return to the Home Disasters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Minor Water Damage?

Posted by whistlerboy (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 25, 09 at 2:51

Well I overflowed a sink in the basement bathroom for about 15 minutes. The bathroom has a subfloor probably for easier plumbing. The water got into adjacent walls and into 1 bedroom under part of the laminate which I pulled up right away. The question I have is what is the best way to dry out the water in the walls? I'm thinking drilling holes at the bottom which the baseboards will cover and get a commercial fan and dehumidifier to ensure I dry it properly. One concern is the water which probably got below the subfloor in the bathroom. Hopefully the fan and dehumidifier will dry it all out. Any help would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Minor Water Damage?

You are on the right path for removing base, drilling holes, air movement and dehumidifiers. You want to get air movement under that subfloor too.

As long as there is no vapor barrier, the wet air will migrate to the dry air and the dehu's will do their job.

How long ago did this happen? After 72 hours, the problems of mold will be an issue if other factors are present.

Warm temperature, lack of sunlight, lack of air movement and moisture is a prime environment for mold growth.

o

Can you open up the cieling below the bathroom? I would be very concerned with getting it dry. Mold, once started, can grow pretty rapidly and health issues come into play. For more info on mold try the helpful site below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mold Removal Site

o

unless teh water is trapped in there, you don't HAVE to open things up much. just get a fan on it and run a dehumidifier. this was potable water for a BRIEF period, so the chances of mold are less than if it were a flood.

yes, you want to dry it as soon as you can, but no need to rip open everything.

o

"Can you open up the cieling below the bathroom?"

This is a basement bathroom, I seriously doubt that there is another room under that.

o

whistlerboy, YOU overflowed a basement bathroom sink for 15 minutes? LOL Sorry, reminds of dumb things my husband does.

It is clean water, just blow household fans and you will be fine. The laminate floors however, you know they are not recommended for basement floors right?

o

I always prefer a professional service for water damage restoration, but in the case of minor water damage you can use some best practices as well. One of the DIY practice is to clean your carpet with hydrogen peroxide. I use this in the past and then make it checked by professional and you can't believe that the guy said its 90% effective.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cleaning Flood Damage

o

hmmmm

Here is a link that might be useful: Fancy Dress Costumes

o

You really should get a pro to look at any water damage, because of the possibility of mold

Here is a link that might be useful: Mold Removal

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here