Return to the Home Disasters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

 o
Water damage from leak

Posted by gaila53 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 15, 09 at 21:54

As a result of frozen pipes bursting, we experienced severe water damage at my job. Professionals came in and did the clean up, which included opening walls to check for moisture, etc. Now weeks later, there is a strong mold and/or mildew smell from a small area in which much water came down. Since walls were opened and inspected and now everything is painted and repaired, what would next step be in finding out what is causing the odor? Also, could paper that had been wet, cause such odors?


Follow-Up Postings:

 o
RE: Water damage from leak

if boxes of paper got wet, then yes they can and will mold. it could also be MDF furniture.

we had a flood in Sept and had several reams of copy paper and several pieces of furniture tha thad to be tossed due to molding up before they could dry out.


 o
RE: Water damage from leak

Thanks for the info....I am going to follow up and explain to my boss why all the paper products should be thrown out.


 o
RE: Water damage from leak

You should also have a mold assessment done by someone who is IMPARTIAL. That means the assessor does the inspection and reports his findings and recommendations, but does not do the recommended remediation because that would be a conflict of interest.

Mold remediation can be costly and disruptive. But in your case, since the problem apparently originated recently, with the water leak, it should be possible to correct without too much fuss.

The assessment consists of visual inspections ( and sniffing) and also taking air samples and having them tested in a lab. The remediation consists of wiping all surfaces suspected of harboring mold and having airscrubbers run for a few hours or a couple of days, depending on the extent of the problem. The airscrubbers are essentially very large vacuum cleaners with HEPA filters that blow the vacuumed air out to the outdoors.

You should also make sure that none of the leaked water got into the AC ducts, because that would definitely harbor mold, and then you would also need to have the ducts cleaned out.

I had the misfortune of having this kind of problem in our home last year. It was costly to fix and very inconvenient. Not fun.


 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!


Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.


Learn more about in-text links on this page here