Return to the Home Disasters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hole in Living room wall

Posted by Jens4real (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 9, 13 at 20:30

Help!!! I'm buying a house that has a large cutout in the living room wall Apparently the previous homeowners filled in the bedroom closet on the other side and made a cutout on the living room side to put in an "entertainment center." I know I'm going to rip out the ugly shelves. Should I sheetrock over it, or make it a nook and add built-in shelves? Any opinions would be appreciated since this is my first home and I'm really trying to fix it up.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hole in Living room wall

Hi Jen,
I would need to see the layout of the room to offer an opinion on whether or not to focus the living room in this direction.
What I think is best is for you to post this question with a diagram or more photos over on the Home Decorating Forum. Curiosity made me look at this forum, but clearly it gets little traffic.
Repost on Home Decorating and I'm certain that you'll get some response.
Good luck!!

o

" Apparently the previous homeowners filled in the bedroom closet ..."

It often no longer counts as a bedroom without a closet.

o

according to most building codes, a bedroom must have a closet...now, losing a bedroom isn't an issue if this is going to be your forever home, but if you're hoping to move in 10 years, putting the closet back the way it was is an option.

that being said? I love built-ins, most homes need more useful spaces, and that's not a bad spot for one, whether it comes to hold books and art, or electronica.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here