Return to the Home Disasters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Insects?

Posted by MonaBlair (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 23, 03 at 17:52

We moved in last November and just recently we have begun seeing white "things" that look like pumpkin seeds, but they're not. They are soft, but hold their shape and are hollow as well. They are not quite as smooth as seeds but look somewhat bumpy or slightly grainy. What kind of insect could this be coming from? Is it an egg or a cocoon? But we've seen no insects or bugs in the house at all. Any and all ideas are welcome. I'm calling a pest control man tomorrow.
Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Insects?

Could be spider egg sacks.

o

You're right! I checked on google and that's what they are. Thanks.

o

Not spiders. It's the sac for a plaster bag moth. I've never heard of them and can't figure how we got so lucky to have them

o

I am not familiar with all the different types of moths, but we had some gain access to our home on some dried flowers I had purchased from a craft store. Took me a while to find the cause, but once I eliminated the flowers the moths went too. I went back to the store and sure enough I saw the moths flying around in their dried flower section. I told the store employees who basically gave me a blank stare in return. Never went back there.

Just to be safe I dry cleaned and washed everything in my closet and vacuumed up the larvae (shudder). I washed my bedding and sprayed the spots in the house where there was the most evidence of the critters. Probably overdid it a bit, but those things were disgusting.

A warning for those who purchase dried flowers, check them carefully before you bring them home.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here