Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yborgal

Insects?

yborgal
21 years ago

We moved in last November and just recently we have begun seeing white "things" that look like pumpkin seeds, but they're not. They are soft, but hold their shape and are hollow as well. They are not quite as smooth as seeds but look somewhat bumpy or slightly grainy. What kind of insect could this be coming from? Is it an egg or a cocoon? But we've seen no insects or bugs in the house at all. Any and all ideas are welcome. I'm calling a pest control man tomorrow.

Thanks.

Comments (4)

• twelvepole
    21 years ago

Could be spider egg sacks.

• yborgal
    Original Author
    21 years ago

You're right! I checked on google and that's what they are. Thanks.

• yborgal
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Not spiders. It's the sac for a plaster bag moth. I've never heard of them and can't figure how we got so lucky to have them

• Blueridgeroses
    21 years ago

I am not familiar with all the different types of moths, but we had some gain access to our home on some dried flowers I had purchased from a craft store. Took me a while to find the cause, but once I eliminated the flowers the moths went too. I went back to the store and sure enough I saw the moths flying around in their dried flower section. I told the store employees who basically gave me a blank stare in return. Never went back there.

Just to be safe I dry cleaned and washed everything in my closet and vacuumed up the larvae (shudder). I washed my bedding and sprayed the spots in the house where there was the most evidence of the critters. Probably overdid it a bit, but those things were disgusting.

A warning for those who purchase dried flowers, check them carefully before you bring them home.