Return to the Home Disasters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
freezer frost mini-disaster

Posted by jcs7 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 6, 06 at 17:36

Recently bought Kenmore Elite french door cabinet depth 'fridge - this week we had to move it to mudroom since kitchen floor was being refinished.
Sitting out in unheated porch (ie. mudroom), plugged in, temps have been anywhere from 40 to 30 outside, probably around 45 in that room. Holding milk and lots of frozen foods.

Went to look in freezer and there's "snow" everywhere ... even frosty snow hanging from interior light. Looks like my Mom's old fridge in the 70's.

WHAT DID I DO? Did I leave the freezer drawer ajar? Was it too cold out there?
WHAT DO I DO NOW? Brush it all off? Do I unplug it and keep wiping it out until it's dry? Does one "defrost" a 21st century freezer?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: freezer frost mini-disaster

For lack of better wording I think you shocked it. I'm guessing you moved it into the cooler temps and imediately turned it on or rather plugged it in. Not good, should have brought it to that room temp before plugging it in. Could have waited several hours. It would have held it's temp inside. Now that you have snow. I'd move contents to coolers, unplug unit, and start wiping it out. Once you get it dry then plug it back in and try again. The cold and or heat should not affect the refridgerator once it gets used to the room temp. Same as when you move it back to the kitchen, wait several hours before plugging it back in or you will have the same thing again.

o

Good thinking, good advice. Will do just that. Thanks for your response.

o

Nope....you obviously left a door ajar....you wouldn't have frost if there were not a source of moisture.
How do you get rid of it? Take everything out of it, and un plug it and wipe it out.....then replace...
As for "shocking it"...nonsense...What happened is the cooler temps caused the condenser to run less frequently and the moisture which entered from the partially open door wasn't removed during the defrost cycle and turned to frost.
Actually I think you could do nothing and the regular circulation of the air will remove the excess frost.....at least it does with my 20 year old Amana if the door doesn't get closed properly.
Linda C

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here