Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
imk505

Mold due to leaky roof

imk505
13 years ago

We put every dime we could to get into our house and soon after moving in discovered we had a leaky roof that was not covered by the limited warranty or insurance. Anyway, long story short we lived with buckets to collect rain water that would leak into the house for a year or longer before we finally had enough money to fix the roof. Buckets and buckets of water came into the home.

In the garage you can actually see mold on the ceiling and there are some rooms with bad drywall damage. We know we have mold under the drywall. We are planning on getting a mold inspector out here but I thought I'd get as much info here first so that I'm at least somewhat prepared for what the inspector has to tell me.

Can we remedy the problem ourselves? Can we just tear down drywall, treat the mold or do we need a professional?

None of us are having any health issues that we know of. I have not tried to repair or remove any drywall or mold.

We have a flat roof (live in the southwest) and our roof was repaired but I don't think it was done properly. No roof panels were removed. They laid out tar and roof paper. The roof still pools in some areas when it rains and you can feel weak spots when you walk on the roof.

Also, the ceiling drywall is starting to come apart at the seams in some rooms. During cold nights you can hear loud cracks coming from the ceiling.

Thanks ahead of time for any advice!

-Melissa

Comment (1)