Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ipswichclam

Skunk problem!

ipswichclam
12 years ago

We have a small cottage in Maine. The cottage is built on piers/posts, and it does not have a basement, just a crawlspace.

We were there last week for winter vacation, and we were awakened during the night be the most intense skunk odor we have ever experienced. We did not see the skunk, but we did notice some footprints in the snow leading under the house.

The odor was so bad that we cut our vacation short, and returned home. All of our clothes, suitcases, and other belongings smelled of skunk and needed serious cleaning.

We have hired a licensed expert to trap are relocate the skunks. Once that is done, we will need to figure out how to get rid of the odor in the cottage and on our belongings there, and how to keep skunks from returning.

I have done a lot of reading on the internet, and in this forum in particular. It seems that for every solution that one person touts as a godsend, another says it doesn't work and/or it is dangerous.

So I am posting here to here everyone's thoughts on some specific approaches.

DEODORIZING

I may need to call a professional. Are companies like Servicemaster and Servpro good at this kind of thing? Do they stand behind their work?

What questions should I ask before hiring someone?

Ozone Machines--do they work for skunk? Did you rent one or hire a service that used one? I am aware of their potential safety hazards, but we can have any work done when the cottage is completely vacant.

If I need to have the underside of my house powerwashed or cleaned, how is that best done?

KEEPING THE SKUNKS AWAY:

Given the construction of the house--on piers with lattice--it will be nearly impossible to exclude the skunks physically. So we are looking at some kind of repellent system.

I know about mothballs and their health hazards. I read that they may not work very well anyway.

What about commercial products like Critter Ridder and Bonide Repels All?

I've read about urine (fox, coyote, etc) but they need periodic refreshing and we are not there for months at a time. I also hear that these things sometimes attact animals instead of repelling them.

What about strobe lights? They make them for this purpose

http://raccoon-x.com/strobes.htm

Woudl it be an fire hazard to have these strobe lights running under my crawlspace when we are not there? If it's not UL listed, am I taking too much risk doing this?

Will they drive other animnals like mice up from the crawlspace into my house?

Thank you all for your thoughts.

Comments (2)