Return to the Home Disasters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
water leaking,first floor window

Posted by tfix (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 8, 09 at 11:29

Hi home owners,
Water has been dripping for a week now from a bathroom window. I suspect roof ice or condensation because the gutters are solid ice and we've had very little melting this year. I raked the snow off most of the roof last week. There is another bath over this one but it is dry. The window has a crack about a sixteenth inch wide that the water drips from. The attic has condensation but most of the loose insulation is dry. I'm interested in hearing any tales relating to this condition.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: water leaking,first floor window

Two issues come to mind. You have ice damming causing water to back up under the roof shingles and running down inside the outside wall. Even though there's a floor above doesn't mean that one would also leak. It depends on the path of the water.
Is there ice on the roof? Is water getting in behind the frozen gutters?
The second issue could be that the second floor bath is causing the leak. If the flow is intermittant, it could be the drain pipes. If it's constant, it could be a pin hole in the supply pipe.
A little detective work will determine which is the culprit.
Ron

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here