Return to the Home Disasters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
White enamel over black enamel..HELP

Posted by gardenlady76 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 15, 09 at 8:59

Hello, I need help please. I have a wicker bench (the back and the arms are wicker, the frame and legs are wood, the seat is upholstered) it has been painted with black enamel, I want to change it to WHITE enamel, besides roughing up the current paint, should I prime it before applying the white enamel? Strip the whole thing (almost impossible)?

Help, I really like this bench, so any suggestions will be appreciated.....Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: White enamel over black enamel..HELP

If the black is chippy or cracked, can you get your hands on a pressure washer? (Very difficult to sand wicker.) You have to be very careful with PW. Best done in hot weather, so depends on where you live. I had a wicker table with chippy paint. Pressure washer (gently used) got nearly all of it off. Get too close and you will have split fibers. I let it dry in the sun well for several days. Primed with rustoleum spray primer, then sprayed with rustoleum finish coat. Has held up pretty well for nearly 4 years now, no chipping/flaking yet. (It's outside on my deck, covered for winter, and covered in summer when storms or rain is imminent.

If the black enamel is intact, no chips, then wipe it down with Dirtex or another good pre-paint cleaning solution. (If in doubt, ask in the paint forum here.) Use a good oil-based primer. (I like Zinsser products, or Kilz might be a good option to hide that black). Then pain with your white enamel.

o

A decent primer/undercoat. There may be one specifically available for coverage. I would also suggest using an airless sprayer, trying to brush wicker would be entering a world of pain.

If you think you'd have the use for it, you can get something like a Wagner paint crew for <$200 or you can rent them. There's a fair amount of cleaning involved and you need to be careful about overspray but the actual painting time is very short and the results will be excellent.

Kilz does seem to be a good product.

o

ditto the priming - on the wicker, a coat of gray automotive primer would make a good barrier coat, on the wood, I'd go with two coats of Killz or other brush-on primer.

thinning the paint slightly, and using a 'loose' brush that you're not going to miss when it dies, lets you 'scrub' the paint into the weave of the wicker easier - spraying is 'easier' but I'm not one of the lucky people who has ever gotten an airless sprayer to work properly, so it's been a moot point for me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here