Return to the Home Disasters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crown Moulding separating from ceiling...What to do?

Posted by alexism (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 17, 11 at 22:36

My husband and I recently purchased a home near Houston, TX. The house is seven years old. Last week we went to Colorado to visit friends. We returned home and noticed that all of the crown moulding upstairs had cracks where they meet up as well as across the top near theceiling. Also the door frames downstairs are now cracked in the corners. It was an abnormally cold week in Houston last week so I'm wondering if this could be a foundation issue or if it will go back once the weather warms up. Thank you for your help and advice in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crown Moulding separating from ceiling...What to do?

Did you keep the house heated in your absence? You may be dealing with foundation issues that need to be addressed. You might check with neighbors to see if they have had similar issues.

o

The humidity is lower in the winter during heating season and wood shrinks.

o

We kept the house around 70 while we were gone. I haven't checked with the neighbors yet.

o

There is nothing wrong with the foundation.

Abnormally cold = abnormally dry.

Check what were the dew points while you were away? Houston rarely sees dew points below 40 F for an extended time.

The central heat continually dries out the air, and without mixing in fresh air, it just gets drier and drier inside the house. When you keep the house completelty closed up and run the heater for several days, this will make the inside dew point even lower than outside. When you are home, each time you open a door or window, it allows the fresh outside air to mix in.

In the desert, people have the opposite problem during the summer monsoon. Everything swells up and doors don't close properly. The use of evaporative coolers amplifies the problem.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here