Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
parsonse1

'Neighbors' are throwing trash onto my property!

Beth Parsons
16 years ago

I live on 6 acres in what was a once pretty rural area. Over the past few years, farmland has given way to crowded subdivisions and we have lots of new transplants to the area. Fortunately, the houses are very nice and upscale, although the people living in them certainly are not!

I was walking along our back fence today on a nature hike with my 2 young children. We have 4 homes that back up to our property and at every parcel, the owners have tossed trash (soda bottles, plant tags, grocery bags) and yard waste (limbs, leaves, rocks and even bricks) over the fence onto our property. Of course I can't prove they actually committed the acts and there is no identifying information, but I have pictures of this fence line from when the houses were being and the brush and trash was not there then!

If you were in my shoes, how would you confront the homeowners? My husband is ready to go over and take off some heads and threaten legal action, but I prefer a more subtle approach with hints of establishing a pig farm in our back field with an old dilapidated trailer as their sty if they do not cease littering on our property!

WTH is wrong with people today, anyway?!?

Comments (70)

• dwilcox2012
    13 years ago

Try Liquid Ass. That is a surefire way to show who is boss.

• Carla Hudson
    8 years ago

Put up a sign,saying property is under surveillance for illegal dumping

• millworkman
    8 years ago

Carla, you saw this post is 5 years right?

• Beth Parsons
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    OP here - can't believe this started 5 years ago. In that time, we politely confronted all the homeowners that border our property & thought the issue was resolved.

Unfortunately with spring cleanup of yards in full swing, 2 of these very same people started throwing yard waste over the fence once again just a couple weeks ago Seriously?

This past fall I had to run off a pack of preteen boys that were out in the back field - all were carrying BB guns & looking to shoot wildlife. They got a nice lecture about climbing fences that don't belong to them & told that the police would be called the next time since they climbed right past the No Trespassing sign we erected. They haven't come back that I've seen but my sign has since disappeared...

It really sucks that people can't/won't respect the property rights of others. It shouldn't matter that I have land & they don't. It's MY property & I pay taxes on every square inch. It's been so fun living near these jerks.
  • toxcrusadr
    8 years ago

I think you did the right thing here. Are you sure the two houses still have the same occupants you talked to before?

If you haven't, you might put up Private Property - No Dumping Please signs on posts in full view of the places they're dumping. Photograph and document the piles and your signs. This will help if/when you have to elevate it - whether to the local govt., court etc.

At least that stuff will turn into some nice compost eventually. :-]

• Beth Parsons
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Oh yeah, same people. I think they just think it's been long enough so we'd just look the other way. WRONG! Already confronted one 'neighbor' (no time to go into detail but I threw every single leaf over the fence at her feet when she copped an attitude) & the other (the person I threatened the chicken coop on) once again won't return a phone call & walks away if I call out to him when he's in the yard. Chicken $hit.

My (friendly & country) neighbors 2 houses down keep horses. I think we're going to start a manure compost pile along the back fence. Horse flies are annoying! Plus, my newest next door neighbor are 'pioneer types' & we're discussing going in together to raise hogs for profit. The back acre is the PERFECT place for our swine!
  • Beth Parsons
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Oh, and every time I put up signage they get torn down. Been thru so many I just keep a stack in the garage. They have to be posted every 50' I believe so got that covered. Have wildlife cameras that are being set up, also. :)
  • redtartan
    8 years ago

Love your suggestion of the compost pile. LOL I'm sure it would just aggravate the situation but some people just don't care no matter what you say or do. I can really relate to your situation. My neighbor does not respect our property either. I already told her she couldn't ride her horses in our woods, but we know she does it anyway. I hope I can catch her one day and not just see the hoof prints. This same woman sued the previous owners because after her then teenage son put a rock through previous owners truck and he wouldn't let them use the property anymore. She lost, still tells you the type of people they are. We've also had people hunt on our property without permission, putting massive nails in cedar trees. I say the same to thing to my husband all the time that you said, "we pay the taxes for this land, they don't." Post again how the wildlife cameras work out. I've considered that myself, especially with the destruction of the trees.

• Beth Parsons
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Yeah, I'm well beyond caring if I aggravate them or not - this is more of a game at this point. Childish, I admit, but these people apparently have the IQ of a potato so I guess it's perfectly appropriate. :)

It takes about 3 hours to mow on the ZTR each week - lately I've been spending that time thinking up more annoying stuff for the back field. :p
  • rob333 (zone 7b)
    8 years ago

Add motion sensing sprinklers?

• toxcrusadr
    8 years ago

A motion sensing propane cannon would be great, but wildlife would probably set it off, and/or they would steal it when they figured out where it was. It's a nice thought though. :-]

• Christopher_H
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

The people who do these things all have one thing in common. They have no respect for other people's property. These are the type of people who probably don't even know the names of their next door neighbors. They become lowlife when they toss their trash, be it garbage or yard debris over a fence onto someone else's property. Around here that's called "illegal dumping" and carries a fine up to $1,000.

In the next town over some people from NYC moved into a home and decided the property behind them was perfect for dumping all their yard trash. They even put some tree stumps over there. The neighbor was an elderly man who confronted them. When he asked why they were dumping on his land they replied "Where else am I gonna put it?" So he hired a company to clean it up and sent the Noo Yawkas the bill, which of course they ignored. He took them to small claims court and won. But now HE's the bad neighbor for having the nerve to confront them.

• Vith
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

There are those that make the mess, and those that clean it up. It is a choice and an attitude to be either one or the other.

Most of my neighbors are normal, but one of my neighbors is a lazy slob. I just pick up anything that gets in my yard. He parked in my yard multiple times a few years ago, I put an end to that, he knows not to park past the post I put between our property. But yea I call the cops on him probably 2 times a year for random things, other than that he is normally not a problem, just his lot is an eyesore. Not even worth attempting to talk to him, he doesnt answer the door, wouldnt give a care anyhow. His junk fence with maybe one good post finally fell over with the recent windstorm onto my yard, I went out there and flipped that sucker onto his yard. Pretty sure he wont touch it till next year when a relative comes out and asks him about it lol. Some year Ill get around to put up a extra tall privacy fence, been busy with other projects.

• jewelisfabulous
    8 years ago

Beth -- since your neighbors are throwing their stuff over your fence, maybe wrap the top of it with concertina wire: http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Concertina-cross-razor-barbed-wire-for_1630580502.html?spm=a2700.7724857.35.1.PT6Yj7&s=p

• Julie Musante
    8 years ago

I have a neighbor like this. A few years ago he was having some tree work done, and had his tree guys drag the trees way into my property onto the wooded part between our houses. when I told them to stop immediately, the tree guy copped a big attitude with me. The other property owner came to my house and wanted to know what the problem was. There were several, I told him: 1) he had them put the trees on my property so he couldn't see them (and I could) without my permission and 2) they were working on my property where my dogs roam and I didn't want his workers hurting my dogs or claiming a dog bite from one of them while trespassing. In addition, they had provided no proof that I was covered as an additional insured by their contractor in case of damage or injury. Since that time, he has tried to sneak an addition to his house that would bring the house to less than the required 15 feet from the property line, cut down some of my trees, put his shed and swing set on the property line, and dumped a pile of dirt from the construction of a non-permitted patio on the property line. If he wanted a bigger yard, why did he buy a small one? I am thinking hard about sending the code enforcement officer over there-and planning to construct an ugly chainlink fence right next to his house-where he will be able to see it, and I will not.

• amuphoebe520
    7 years ago

Hey guys ! So currently I'm stuck in a situation where there would be huge loads of trash outside my house, that includes unwanted sofa, bed mattresses, car compartments, car tires and many more. They usually would appear in front of my house in the morning and we have no idea who did it. It would be scattered all over the area and it's just frustrating to see that ONLY MY property is being trashed. I see saw a few comments and people recommended to put up signs, but aside from that is there anything else I can do in regards to notify my neighbors not to trash my property and to have someone come clean the trash?

• toxcrusadr
    7 years ago

amu, since you posted this in a separate thread already, I will leave my answer there.

• Russ Barnard
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

If it were me, I would go talk to the local Sheriff etc and ask how to proceed where you would have legal grounds to prosecute.

I am sure it will involve signs that say they will be prosecuted, and may also involve the sheriff coming out there and seeing you post them. May also help, when he/she comes out, to go have a chat with each of the neighbors and explain they will also be watching and they have a plan to catch whomever violates the law from this point further.

Get help. Don't get mad, get smarter and get meaner. (not saying you are not smart.. lol.. meant get better tactics.. heh)

R

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    7 years ago

Cameras. Cameras, amuphoebe520

• ur2becometheword
    7 years ago

I believe the video and cameras are the way to go really, they will stand up in court. The photo will show the idiots, throwing trash, they can't deny it.

• ur2becometheword
    7 years ago

When they catch them the city or county should make them do community service for 2-3 years picking up trash in that neighborhoods yard, yeah good idea. Every week for 2-3 hours each day, court said so! :)

• ur2becometheword
    7 years ago

I'm thinking about going by my kind neighbors house that have same problems since the trash throwers moved in or drive by, get together and do a community let's buy some cameras and put them up and around the areas, we will catch some I'm sure if not all. :)

• Bob Jones
    7 years ago

I had this issue once with my neighbour, he kept throwing stuff over our fence and animals were there all the time. I tried being nice about it at first but it seems like he didn't care in the slightest.. in the end I had to call the police but they didn't know how to handle this. I'm lucky because at some point he simply stopped on his own, but I dont know what I would've done if he kept going..

• Elaine Campbell
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

We have neighbours like that too and damaged the whole fence, cut down our berry bushes, damaged our roof, downpipes, garage door, broke lock to house, over $800,000.00 damage and the police do not believe you, they believe the criminals. We are now forced to move out of our own house after living here 51 years and these druggies come in and don't even own the property and don't work and cause all kinds of trouble just because there is no man here any more. He also threw glass when I was working in my backyard at my head, these druggies caused my Mom to fall last year and break her hip and ended up in the hospital for over 3 months and nobody helps you at all. This is what we are paying taxes for, this is a big joke here in Toronto!!!!! We are both very upset, angry that all this damage was done plus we had to have our roof shingles done 3 times over due to this druggy climbing up the aerial early hours of the morning and making holes in the roof. The neighbour behind us is telling him what to do and he jumps and causes all the trouble. This is the way seniors are treated here in Toronto!!!! Dug holes in the breezeway with his tools, sprayed white paint all over the concrete walls in breezeway, broke sensor lights and nobody helps at all, they just pass the buck down the line and says it is not our job!!!!

Very upset and angry with our Politicians, Councillors, Police and Mayor!!!!!

• juliemoose
    6 years ago
    Elaine-That is terrible! How can the authorities get away with doing nothing?
  • Elaine Campbell
    6 years ago

Because they are good liars, getting paid off by the victims and not having to claim any of this bribe money they get on Income Tax either.

• toxcrusadr
    6 years ago

I don't understand why a neighbor would climb up onto your roof and make holes in it, or why another neighbor would tell them to do it, or why the police won't do anything about it. Very strange.

• Elaine Campbell
    6 years ago

They want us to move out of here so they can sell and steal without being caught at all hours of the night and morning and will go to any length to cause damage for the seniors and if you do not buy stolen goods from them, you are their enemy.

• SaltiDawg
    6 years ago

What was your intent in dusting off a months old thread and posting here?

You paint Toronto with a broad brush as an uncaring and criminal city with a corrupt government.

Not sure I understand your agenda. Seems others don't either.

• dcluvsyou11
    6 years ago

I too have property but it is vacant at the moment. This was an Inheritance. There's not much I can do as I live out of state. I hired a contractor to mow trim and clean up every other month. I have had this property for 4 years now without a problem until now. Someone dumped several very large tree limbs onto my property but on the outside of the fence next to the street. City code compliance told me the city doesn't pick up from vacant lots even though it is outside my fence. I don't know who did it. Any suggestions on how to resolve this?

• Julie Musante
    6 years ago
    Well, you'd think a fence would identify it as private property, but maybe a few "Private Property" and "No Trespassing" signs would help. People really are unbelievable; why don't they take care of their own stuff, and not make it someone else's problem?
  • millworkman
    6 years ago

"Any suggestions on how to resolve this?"

Pay your contractor to remove it?

• SaltiDawg
    6 years ago

I have a large corner lot in an affluent neighborhood in the MD suburbs of DC. The rear portion of my lot is wooded and fronts on the side yard's street.

Everyone leaves their dog poo in my lawn, neighbors routinely go into the woods and pick wild flowers, etc, Kids leave empty cases of beer at the corner stop sign most every weekend. The lawn service guys all seem to like to toss their fast food packing out their windows. Also, on a few occasions large loads of branches and lawn clippings have been dumped in my woods.

On a couple of occasions I got to vent my ire having seen some of this happen, but by and large nothing you can do.

• Julie Musante
    6 years ago
    I've had the opportunity on 3 occasions to tell my neighbor's tree/lawn guys that they can, under no circumstances, use my property as a dump for him. I guess they didn't take me seriously the first two times, but when I said I would call the police (and sent my 130 lb dog out there), they stopped
  • dcluvsyou11
    6 years ago

It's easy to say to pay the contractor. What if they continue to dump on my lot because there was no repercussion? I know it would be a temporary fix but it won't stop there since they'll find it easy to do again. I'm not rich and paying each time won't solve the problem. My lot is also on the corner. I will have signs posted but either they will be ignored or maybe they can't read. Not being negative but we will see. I'm hoping it works and it won't happen again. Wish me luck and better neighbors.

• SaltiDawg
    6 years ago

"I've had the opportunity on 3 occasions to tell my neighbor's tree/lawn guys..."

Glad you were able to catch them at it.

• toxcrusadr
    6 years ago

For the dog poopers, people walking their dogs who let them poop on people's lawns, I suggest a very small discreet sign visible from the sidewalk that says something cheerful like "Please don't leave poop, it makes our face droop! PS this area is under video surveillance. Have a great day!" Then put up a camera in a tree. They make nifty ones now that are wireless and/or you can look at them on your phone. I got a set of 4 with a DVR capable of recording for 2 weeks all for a couple hundred bucks.

As for the wooded back yard along the street, fences and signs, and cameras...

When you see who the regular offenders are, either say something to them or print out a pic of them/their dog/their car and post it on a stake. "Do You Know This Person? If so, please tell them to stop dumping their grass clippings in my woods!" :-D

• gnewgie
    6 years ago

I have a tree in my back yard and the limbs had grown over the fence line, my neighbor said she was going to cut her side which was Ok with me....what I want to know leagally I'm I responsible for the tree waste be cause she had her men throw the limbs & shub over the fence into my yard, I'm really hurt by this we have been friends for years I would not have done this to her because we are both in our 70's, I'm going to talk with her about this issue but I wanted to know if she had the right to do this dumping in my yard, I was told by a city worker that when plants grow past the property line and your neighbor wants to trim it they have to dispose of the waste themselves, but this was many years ago & I know laws change

• Julie Musante
    6 years ago
    I think the reason they are allowed to cut part of your tree away is because that part of it becomes their problem once it encroaches on their property, which should also make it their responsibility to dispose of.
  • SaltiDawg
    6 years ago

Of course your neighbor is/was responsible for the trimmings.

My neighbor had what appeared to be a healthy tree fall across my fence and much of it ended up in my yard. It was my responsibility to cut up and haul away everything on my side of the fence/property line.

(My insurance covered part of it, but my rates went up so much I regret submitting a claim. !@#$% USAA.)

• gnewgie
    6 years ago

Yes & Thank you....I did not mind that she cut it, what bothered me is that she felt I was responsible for all the trimmings, so I believe she had no common sense in her thoughts. I trim her plants off my fence & never thought to throw the waste in her yard... I'm going to rethink our friendship sorry to say.

• toxcrusadr
    6 years ago

Some people just have funny ideas. If you have a polite and reasonable talk with her and she still doesn't get it, not much you can do. I'm not sure I'd let it ruin the relationship with a neighbor, because you may regret that later. Forgive and move on.

• Julie Musante
    6 years ago
    How do you think she would feel if you put the trimmings from her plants that you cut off of the fence, in her yard? I am not saying go "tit for tat", but that could open the door to a discussion about the tree parts that she had cut. It's really the exact same thing, after all, right? I bet she wouldn't appreciate it, and you could tell her that you felt the same way when that tree was pruned and the waste thrown over the fence
  • Milly Rey
    6 years ago

I'd start dumping ALL my trash onto their properties. Lol. Except anything with an address.

• Milly Rey
    6 years ago

Gregnewgie--it's "her" tree on her side of the lot. That means it's hers to maintain and to dispose of. I would be highly annoyed.

• Milly Rey
    6 years ago

Julie--time to report them for illegal dumping. The fine will remind them.

• Milly Rey
    6 years ago

Saltidawg--I'd build a fence.

• PRO
    San diego carpet repair and carpet dying
    6 years ago

It's jealousy. They just do it just to spite you

• summersrhythm_z6a
    6 years ago

Put up some trail cameras there......or electric fence? The cheapest idea is to grow something over there....... :-) One of my friends has a plant in her yard looks like a ground cover that has pretty yellow flowers, this plant has thousands of tiny thorns/hairs ( hard to see), if you walk on it, you'd be itching all over for a long time. I can find out the name of the plant for you.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    6 years ago

Sorry, it's not a ground cover, it's called prickly pear I think (my friend doesn't know), it's very hardy here (zone 6a): https://www.etsy.com/listing/451155778/cold-hardy-prickly-pear-opuntia-cactus?ref=pla_similar_listing_top-2