Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jonnyp_gw

Boarders in single families

jonnyp
9 years ago

Like to have input how different cities and towns handle room rentals or boarders in "single family districts". It is a problem not only in my neighborhood , but city wide. This is a touchy subject, what or who legally is considered a boarder.

Comments (6)

• josephene_gw
    9 years ago

I read someplace realtors.com, zillow maybe. That some/most
    Cities have an organization for landlords.
    That each city may have different rules and laws governing this
    Subject.
    Jo

• sunnyca_gw
    9 years ago

Laws if any not enforced in CA. They all claim to be relatives too. Census taker told us that some homes in area of small homes, had up to 30 people living in them, they were working 3 shifts & when you went to bed you slept on 1st empty mattress you came to. Wall to wall sleeping quarters. Folks from other countries don't live like we do.

• violetwest
    9 years ago

I assume you are talking about unrelated people living in a regularly zoned residential neighborhood, and not a properly located and licensed boarding house, assisted living facility, or the like.

The number of people in any given areas is regulated by density, as in single family dwelling, multiples, etc. In my area, a "family" is defined as . . . not more than five unrelated persons living as a single housekeeping unit or home.

Look up your zoning regulations in your municipal code.

Now, as to how my city deals with unwanted density -- not much clue, except I gather they will go after the landlord.

• Andrew atKERR
    8 years ago

I live in Vancouver, Canada. We have different rules and regulations governing legal and illegal suites. As far as I know, there is no regulation limiting house guests or boarders. We do have severe regulations on garbage removal and recycling. This can have an impact on home many people live in the house because the City will not pick up the extra trash created by too many people living in the house. In some areas, we have parking restrictions for street parking. this also serves to limit the number of people living in the area. For the most part, this issue is unregulated.

• sunnyca_gw
    8 years ago

I'm in San Fernando Valley outside of L.A. Every few weeks there is a "garage fire" that means it's illegal residence & they were trying to stay warm by whatever means they could afford, BBQ in the closed garage(often results in deaths) sometimes unvented wall heater, gas stove or something else. You would think that there would be an uproar but city says they have to live someplace so nothing is done. If kids on drugs move back home they usually live in motorhome out back & use house electricity. They go in the house for showers& maybe to use toilet. I see lot of that. A family moved in about 15 yrs ago next to my folks & man went back to South Am. wife & 2 kids stayed but didn't pay the mortgage because she had cancer(throat I think, looked awful close to death for about a yr but got great care & recovered medi-Cal taxpayers paid her bills, food stamps etc. Law says you can't kick someone

with serious illness out. So when they finally wanted the mortgage being paid on she & kids moved into garage & rented out 4 bedrooms to 4 families. Dad did go over & show them how to at least make it safe with a wall vented heater, shower, toilet & apt sized stove. He told them they needed a window facing the back yard so they could get out if the house was on fire. They did that. Most of renters were using drugs & police showed up several times. Still going on, glad folks house sold quickly. Average house sells for about $405,000 so not a bad neighborhood either but there are"extra" people in a lot of houses made to serve family of not more than 6.