Return to the Home Disasters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cracking Rafters

Posted by lovetogarden (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 14, 04 at 18:38

This winter and last winter we've gone through a very cold period. Artic cold weather to be exact. Maybe you're feeling it also. We've reached -20 below without wind chill already.
The problem I'm having is that the rafters are making cracking noises. This happened last year also. The sound is terrifying. It sounds like a small explosion. Last spring I had it checked out and the contractor and I inspected the rafters. What we found were lateral cracks in the 2 X 8 rafters but there had been obvious repairs by the past owner with wood t-bar supports and other pieces of 2 X 8s attached to some of the previously cracked 2 X 8s. This fall I purchased more 2 X 8s and 2 X 4s (to make more T-bar supports) but the contractor I use was too busy to do the work then. We decided to put off the work until the spring. My question is will my roof collapse? I took a ladder and looked up into the attic and everything looked the same as it always does. It is really a crawlspace type attic - no storage up there. Even though we had a lot of snow already I never let it accumulate and always promptly remove it. Is the sound more terrifying then the damage that's being done? Will I eventually have to get all the rafters replaced? That's a big expense I can't afford right now. Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Mandy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cracking Rafters

My rafters creak a lot, especially at night, and I always thought it was poltergeists. I have virtually no temperature change from summer to winter, and so I know it isn't temperature that does it. If yours are cracked, I would try to put some heavy metal bracings in place - no reason to take a chance. Someone at the hardware store should be able to help you with that. Draw a diagram of what the problem is before you go and take measurements. I have metal reinforcements in my garage because of splitting rafters, and they seem to work fine.

Lars

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here