Return to the Home Disasters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
water under floorboards

Posted by bmh4796 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 16, 07 at 17:34

our Armstrong "wood" laminate floorboards are swelling in a 6x5 ft area of our home. it is near a window and it only happens when it rains. Any ideas of how this water is getting beneath the floorboards. Is there a crack in our slab? Could they have cracked our slab when they dug trenches for termite treatment?

We have to sell this house in two weeks in order for us to buy the home we are building. I can't sell my house with water beneath the floorboards!!!!!
HELP!
bmh4796

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: water under floorboards

Water could be coming up through the slab, but it could also be entering around the window, if the window frame is not completely sealed from the weather.

It could be from a leaking gutter, or a defective roof.

I don't know where you live, but if the weather is mild enough, you might be able to check this out with a garden hose. Does the water come in when only the soil is soaked? Does it come in when a spray is directed at the window? Does it come in when water is run on the roof?

It is not necessarily coming in near where you see it, although this is the most likely scenario.

o
RE: water under floorboards

If your gutters are frozen (ice dams) water can spill over and go down the side of your house too. One reason to keep ice dams from forming if at all possible in winter...

Jay

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here