Return to the Home Disasters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
crying over spilled paint

Posted by foggyJ (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 9, 05 at 16:31

An open can of exterior paint was knocked over on our garage floor, we tried to cover it with newspaper (which was the closest thing available) It did absorb a little. Before we could get to cleaning it up further, it has dried and of course the newspaper is stuck to the floor. We've scraped some of the newspaper up, but of course the dark brown paint remains. About a 2ft by 3ft space. Any suggestions how to remove the paint and stuck on newspaper?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: crying over spilled paint

call a paint store-bet they can sell you a solvent that will take most of it up and then you may need to sand the rest.

o

Good idea...............Thanks

o

Let it SOAK WITH WATER and if it is latex it will come up with some scraping. If it is Oil then good luck probably there to stay. OOPs might work you cn get that in the paint section at Wal-Mart. We use tons of paint in our childrens furniture business and spill all the time. Water and a wire brush usually gets it all or nearly all up.

Good Luck

o

Thanks. I'm ready to try to solve the problem, trouble is my DH has covered a lot of the area with junk/stuff for a garage sale in a few months. So now it won't get fixed until that is over. Maybe somebody will buy our garage!

o

You're lucky. Our last spilled can was on the carpet. Got most of it up with sponges, paper towels, etc. We still have a stain - mostly covered by a bed. Garage floor should be no problem to scrape and clean with soap and water (if it's water based). Otherwise, scraping and solvent - paint thinner (?) should do it.

o

This happened to my mother just after she sold her house. I ended up taking an electric sander to it with progressively finer sandpaper. Got it all up.

o

Heat gun....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here