Return to the Home Disasters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Found wood damage in attic joist

Posted by jhome2007 (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 5, 08 at 15:13

I just found there is an about 10 inch long wood damage in one of the joists at my attic. Not sure if it is termite or other woodworms. Here are two pictures:

You can see there are two 'pupa' like white stuffs...

How can I treat them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Found wood damage in attic joist

Is that an added on piece on the bottom of the joist? The damage may not be damage at all but sap wood. the browm is dried out sap. The white spots could be spider egg sacks. Are they fuzzy? If they are fuzzy they are most likely spider egg sacks. If it sap wood as I suspect then its nothing to worry about.

o

That looks like sap to me. Nothing to worry about if it is.

Matt

o

Doesn't look like damage to me. Looks like normal edge of tree bark or sap pocket.

o

Thanks for the replies. First of all, there is no addition to the joist. The 'damaged' part is the lower end of the wood. Yes, the 'white' stuffs are fuzzy. I guess they might be spider eggs. I sprayed 'insect killer' on the surface. Should I remove bad portion? If I did, do I need add something in to fill the space?

o

no, it is fine. it is nothing more than this board was cut from a section close to a split or a brnach and you get that. if you cut a board thru a knot you see the same thing, though it does not always fall off.

all it means is the builder used a lower grade of wood, but then again most of the grading is for looks not strength. if you cut that section out, you WILL lose strength.

o

Just leave it alone. nothing really to worry about. BTW there probably is a lot more spider nests in your attic that you haven't seen. plus they won't hurt anything. Always had plenty in my old house in the crawlspace.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here