Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scooper25

Help my grout turned blue in spots from Comet

scooper25
9 years ago

Hi Unfortunately I was trying to clean my new Bathroom tiled shower floor(small hexagon). It seemed to be dirty in spots from the workmen. I used some kitchen type sprays with no luck then tried Comet (I know I should of researched this first) but must not rinsed throughly I think. So now I have a few areas that blue ugh.
Not knowing anything about tiling I was thinking maybe they could just go over whole area with new thin layer of grout? Would that work?
Any other suggestions appreciated!
thanks

Comments (12)

• toxcrusadr
    9 years ago

Was the Comet blue or do you think it turned the grout blue with some kind of reaction? I thought Comet was green but what do I know. I have not heard of this happening but I'm not a grout expert.

If it's a pigment (dye) you could try cleaning it with something that will destroy it, like Soft Scrub Cleanser with Bleach or another product with bleach, or Oxy Clean, etc.

• scooper25
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi thanks for the reply the comet was green? I was also confused also why it looks blue? IâÂÂll try another cleaner like you mentioned. Thx

• toxcrusadr
    9 years ago

I searched for 'cleanser turns grout blue' and found some interesting form postings and other links. You might try that. Also, I learned they sell Grout Whitening cleaner. :-]

• sunnyca_gw
    9 years ago

I've used Comet for years & At times it does turn grout or other things an aqua blue color. It is hard to remove, it is the dye in the Comet as it happened on several different occasions. I put it on a sink that was from the 1930's & had lost any protective finish. I used Clorox & it helped but didn't get it all off. I have to watch what I put it on. I like it because it gets stains out of my kitchen sink much better than other cleaners but sink is less than 10 yrs old. I think I got a little on my mom's grout & I used a lot of liquid cleaners trying to get rid of the color. Lucky for me a relative did some retouch grouting around sink & it looked like new when the house was sold, he did a great job. I think twice before I use Comet now & also often put it on rag that is wet so it doesn't get dumped right on a surface.

• christinaschiro
    9 years ago

I recently purchased a new home and in both showers (one a standard shower/tub and the other a full tiled shower) they seem to have put comet on all over (even the shower head so now I have blue hair) both of them and I am not sure how to get it off....any advice helps!

• southerncanuck
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Make a solution of 1/2 white vinegar and water. Sponge it on and wait 10 minutes. Then wash it off with water. It might have to sit for longer if stain is stubborn.

• christinaschiro
    9 years ago

thank you!

• sunnyca_gw
    9 years ago

I doubt Comet would stay on a showerhead. Sounds like it's chemicals in the water & you can take the showerhead off & use vinegar & water & soak for 20 minutes & use toothbrush to get it off ,that might not even do it. Some water is so hard it really takes some doing to get the deposits off. If you see like a drizzle of bluish going into the shower drain than chemicals in the water are the problem. Out here some buildings that are old have stains in bathroom sinks & kitchen sinks. If you have a janitorial business they could help you out with a product. Place I've gotten products from is local & they make their own. Look for product that gets rid of deposits. Can't think of what else it might be called. Mineral deposits maybe!

• Andrew atKERR
    8 years ago

Scooper25: Re-grouting is a relatively ease project if you even a little bit handy. You can buy grout at any building store or tile store; It's cheap, about $10 (stay away from epoxy grout). You will need a grout scraper and a grout trowel, another $15. The v shaped grout scraper is used to remove the old grout. This will take a bit of time. Clean up all the dust. Mix the grout according the instructions on the bag. It's not unlike icing a cake. You spread it on the tiles with the intention of pushing it into the gaps between the tiles. Be sparing. After you've done an area of about 4'X4' wipe off the drying excess with a big damp sponge. Once your done, go over it again with a barely damp sponge. You should be able to do the whole bathroom in one day. It could be a super fun "Do-it-yourself" day.

• Joellen Bostelaar
    8 years ago

The same thing happened to me. I cleaned my bathroom counter top with Comet cleanser and all my white grout turned a bluish green. I tried Bleach, Softscrub, amonnia, clay based cleaner,s and nothing has worked to take the blue out of the grout. HELP

• junebugmama12
    6 years ago

Did anyone have any luck getting the blue out??