Return to the Home Disasters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
yellow jackets/wasps in the attic.....

Posted by powiebaby (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 22, 07 at 12:51

I moved into a new home last November. The house was constructed during the fall of 2005. It wasn't until this past November 2006 that I got the builder to close up a gap in the attic along the eave. I just noticed this weekend lots of dead yellow jackets or wasps or whatever on the attic floor. Probably died from the freezing weather that finally arrived. Assuming that they got in the attic thru that gap, or some other tiny openings alongs the eaves. My question is, if I happen to notice them alive and in the attic in the spring/summer, is there any kind of gadget or chemical or whatever that I can put out in the attic that will kill them, short of locating a nest and spraying it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: yellow jackets/wasps in the attic.....

Only the queen will survive the winter in cold climates and she may find a nest elsewhere in the Spring. So having closed the entry gap may prevent this from recurring.

If you do notice wasps in the attic next year, it is a far better option to quickly treat the nest directly than poison your home with chemicals that'll blanket the entire attic. There are sprays that look like silly string that you can aim at a nest from a considerable distance (night time is the best time to do this). Also, it is not terribly expensive to get an exterminator to do this, if you are squeamish.

I had someone blast away a nest a few years ago. Took him about 30 seconds and he didn't even bother with safety gear. But since it was up a ladder and I'm terrified of stinging insects, it was worth the $50 to have him do it. Another nest I found attached to the shed I did myself. Results within seconds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here