Return to the Home Disasters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help help help

Posted by lcbear (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 14, 03 at 12:17

I need to remove old living room furniture from my home, but can't. My security door needs to be removed, and I don't know how to get it off, seems there are tamper proof screws on the door....I know they have bits for these screws but what size and kind do I buy. I'm a single mom and need advice fast, since my new furniture is waiting in the store to be delivered. Am I reduced to sawing the old set in half, can't remember whether I had the new door when I got the old set or not, seems to me the security door was there when they got the furniture there...any advice

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help help help

Describe the heads of the tamper-proof screws.

If they're the kind that use a flat screwdriver and the grooves curve on the side the counter-clockwise side, then you'll have to drill them to get them out. Almost anything else could be unscrewqed with a special bit, which for the most part can be found at Home Depot or similar stores.

If they have two tiny holes, there's a tool that looks like a pair of pliers with two tiny points sticking out that fit into the screw head. That tool is also available at Home Depot.

As an entrance door, at 30" or wider, you almost always can maneuver standard furniture through it. Sometimes you need to stand it on end and rotate through the doorway; sometimes you might need to do things like remove legs. It's not always a one-person job. :)

I presume you have no other passageway to the outside, like a sliding door elsewhere, or garage entrance, or big removable picture window?

o

Try and drive out the hinge pins.

o

The screwheads on the hinges might have an "odd" look to them because they are probably designed for a "no slip" quick installation rather than security. Take a look at the link and maybe you can find the type of head....

Here is a link that might be useful: rack and shelf

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here