Return to the Home Disasters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gasoline on my wood floor!!!

Posted by stir_fryi (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 31, 09 at 10:27

I know people sometimes do dumb things but...

Dh brought the snow bloyer into the kitchen to "fix" because he says it is too cold and not enough light in the garage. He had a cloth painting tarp under it but a while later some gasoline spilled onto our Brazilian Cherry hardwood floors.

He cleaned it up and wiped up the floor with dishsoap and water but I am sure it went in between the wood slats.

Anyhow, I am airing out the kitchen now (brrr!!!) and he says the smell will evaporate. It does not appear that it harmed the floor at all.

Anything to worry about?? Thank God we don't smoke!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gasoline on my wood floor!!!

nothign to worry abot if it did not stain the floor. open a box of baking soda and sit it in the room for a few days, it should absorb most of the smell.

o

Smell is gone already. he is lucky...

o

Wow I never dreamed of doing such a thing.. or anyone else, what else have you rebuilt in your home? I am glad you got it goin and didn't cause an explosion or burn the house down.

o

Hey, when you have no basement shop or heated garage, there's nowhere to go. Way too many slab houses being build for this ol' fixerupper. I have a basement shop with a concrete floor and a vent fan. Your husband is a good guy trying to fix things, but his efforts are impaired by his house.

I've heard of motorcycle engines rebuilt on the dining room table, but have not witnessed it...

o

Years ago, my brother-in-law dismantled an entire Volvo engine in his mother's living room while she was at work. I was not part of the family at the time, so I don't know all the details. I'm told she was furious, but by the time I was part of the family it was all a big joke. Oh, the things impulsive teenagers will do!

o

stir_fryi, in the future tell your husband that a new Snow Blower costs thousands less than a new floor. LOL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here