Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jimcvik

problems with concrete driveway

JIM CVIK
22 years ago

I HAD A NEW DRIVEWAY PORED IN JUNE OF LAST YEAR- RECENTLY I NOTICED SIGNIFICANT SPALLING( TOP LAYER OF THE CONCRETE COMING OFF). WHAT CAUSED THIS AND MORE IMPORTANT, WHAT CAN I DO TO RECTIFY THE PROBLEM. ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE APPRECIATED. JIM CVIK

Comments (7)

• blhvn_nomlpls_com
    22 years ago

Was it raining when the driveway was installed? We poured ours in a drizzle (were doing it ourselves, were young, poor and couldn't afford to cancel and re-rent the equipment, re-hire the fellows we were paying, etc) and it also lost a bit of surface over the years. My dad was a concrete contractor and said it was the rain that caused the problem. The good news is that 29 years later, the driveway is otherwise still in great condition.

However, assuming you had this professionally done, I'd still call the contractor and mention it. I doubt they'll give you a new driveway, but maybe you could talk them into repairing a bit of broken curb or replacing a cracked sidewalk square to compensate you. Good luck.

• adams188
    21 years ago

spalled concrete can happen for a number of reasons, the concrete mixture could have been bad, no way of knowing that unless you had it tested during the pour, when it was finished, the finishers may not have done a good enough job "muddling" the crete, which moves the rocks down into the middle, also, did you have expansion joints cut? and if so, when and how deep? I am a concrete cutter, and two general rules to follow, always cut your green joints within 24 hrs of pouring, and always go 1/2 the thickness, minus 1/2" deep, example, a 4" thick driveway would have a minimum of 1 1/2" deep joints, these joints give the concrete a place to crack...underneath where it is not visible, without these you get surface cracks, shifting and spawling.... not much you can do to repair, other than grinding the surface with a diamond bit, or hire a Concrete cutting company to do it, about $300 or so, depending on how extensive the damage, the cutter will be able to tell you if he can make the surface appealing to look at or not, and estimates are always free....ask for an experienced cutter as well, I see too many hack jobs on daily basis.

• jasonoski
    21 years ago

adams188, Could you explain how to test if the concrete is good when you pour it?

Thanks,
    Jason

• bulldinkie
    21 years ago

You dont use salt to melt ice do you?

• blincoln
    21 years ago

jasonoski, usually there is a slump test, whereby a sample of the concrete is poured into a mold off to the side to test its consistency and see how it hardens. A small sample hardens in time before use of a foundation or driveway.

• sandbur
    21 years ago

Concrete that has been on the truck too long and poured in hot weather will spall almost every time. Too much jitterbuging will also cause spalling sometimes. You may be able to cap this rough surface with an epoxy grout. Check with your concrete company.

• nonakado_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I had concrete poured at my house last week by a contractor, the finish was good, the next two days was still fine. Five days later I noticed there are area in the concrete that are weaved and uneven.
    What is the cause of it and what can be done to fix it
    Thanks