Return to the Home Disasters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garbage disposal

Posted by jmr2mtt (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 20, 02 at 1:20

I have a dishrag stuck in my disposal and cannot get it unlodged. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garbage disposal

We used to have a disposal. I would cut as much away as you can and see what happens.
Ours had a thing on the bottom that you could use an allen wrench and open to get things out of...check that, your dishrag may be able to pull out.
Lots of luck and let us know.
Karen

o

We were able to dislodge the dishrag and all is well again. Thanks for the help.

o

For what it's worth...I bet this may seem strange but a long time ago I was told to put the top end of your wooden broom handle down into the disposal and push (force)the jammed disposal open, and ..., believe it or not I have had to resort to this "old wives tale" a couple times in the past...it worked.

o

Glad you got the rag out!

There is an allen wrench provided by the manufacturer. It is a much better alternative to the broom handle idea. You can usually find it buried in your junk drawer or under the sink. Using it will avoid damaging the bearings or putting the rotating head out of allignment.

There is proper tool for a job and an improper tool. In this case the broom handle is the improper tool.

Always make sure the breaker is turned off when you stick your hand in the business end of the disposer.

I have heard ice cubes in your disposer will sharpen it. Thoughts?

Jason

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here