Return to the Diet Club Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stuck!

Posted by BarnMom (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 7, 04 at 12:36

What do you all do when your weight plateaus? That dang scale won't budge!

BarnMom

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stuck!

-
-Try changing food varieties, combinations.
- Eat smaller, more frequent meals.
-Take a 2 or 3 day diet break (don't go overboard!) to trick your body's metabolism.
-Add 15 minutes onto your exercise time.
-Increase the # of days which you exercise.
-Vary your exercise routine: add walking to your usual gym workout or swimming to a usual walking routine, add weights etc.(remember, the more muscle tissue, the greater your metabolism rate and thus your ability to burn fat faster.)
-check/cut down on your sodium intake.
-Increase your water intake.
-Review your eating program... you may have outgrown it.

What program are you following? What exercise do you do and how often? I hope these suggestions help!

Tikanas

o

I'm not followiing any special program. I just eat a variety of low fat protein like low fat cottage cheese, yogurt, lean meats along with salads and fruit. A little bread, no butter. No red meat. I drink a lot of green tea. But I think I need to increase the plain water.

I exercise at least 4 times a week with an hour walk. I recently added a hill 3 times a week instead of a flat walk. This has also added about 20 minutes to my usual hour walk. I also do a light weight workout after the walk. Crunches and squats (with weights) included.

Lots of good advice. I'm going to go back to the smaller, more frequent meals which I got out of the habit of. Sodium is not much of a problem, I am very aware there.

I'll check in next week and let you know if there is any change.

Thanks!

o

It seems like you are doing just about EVERYTHING!! Try the "diet break" and add more water.

Since you have already increased/varied your exercise consider that you may have ALREADY gained muscle mass. Remember, muscle weighs more than fat!! Sometimes your scale won't fluctuate for just that reason!! : )

How do the clothes fit? How much did you have to lose to begin with and how much do you have left to lose? Are you being realistic about your goal weight? I have a problem with THAT ONE myself...

Tikanas (who will NEVER be 115 lbs AGAIN and just got off of prednisone which KILLS your metabolic rate and made me crankier than HE!! )

o

I lost 30kg initially, then the scales stuck still for 6 months I nearly went mad. I followed a plan from a book called CSIRO well being book (Australian) which increases protien and reduces carbs. I don't follow it strickly as the lunch has way too much meat for me and takes too long to make- I just have a salad and deli meat roll. This finally made the scales move downwards-dropping all carbs from the evening meal and making sure I did a 45-60 minute walk each (and every! rain hail or shine) day. Lost another 12kg in the last 14 weeks. (If I know I want carbs with dinner I skip carbs with lunch instead.)
Good luck, stick with it.
Koala_Em

o

When the scale stops moving for me I make a new plan and give it a try. Sounds like you're doing that.

Sometimes just to see some action I'll go on a 1 - 2 day faddy crash diet and continue onto something more sensible.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Diet Club Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here