SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deemarie5500

ss support - dec 20 - dec 26 merry christmas!

deemarie5500
19 years ago

Last chance for those who have not finished guessing to do so.

I think this is the day to open gifts! (Let us know if you did not receive...I'm still waiting, but will 'OK" the rest of you opening!)

LET'S CELEBRATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments (69)

• aka_raeanne
    19 years ago

Maddie - I meant to mention to you that my sister went to her 2nd annual regifting party. They pick a partner's name and then have to give them a regift. She had a fun time and for some reason I thought of you LOL.

DeeMarie - Trust Joanne on this one, my ornament is pretty tacky and handmade too LOL.

• Joanne13
    19 years ago

I was just going to say my tackiest of the tackiest ELVIS was made by Raeanne's loving hands - but she beat me to it.
    Raeanne, didn't need the "nice" ornament - this will forever adorn my tree.

When I met Patti she had a gift for me as well, the one thing I wanted to share with you all was the lovely little stone angel with "friends" written across the front. Sorry Patti, but I put a string around her wings and hung her beside Elvis, it just makes me laugh everytime I walk by that tree.

Joanne

• Related Discussions

SS Support Mon. January 26th thru Sun. February 1st

Q

Comments (46)
    Okay, I got THAT done. I really did read up on the stuff and visited the appliance forum AND took suggestions. So here's what I came up with: Frigidaire Freezer for the pantry (White)- Manual defrost. I'm either going to go with a 20 cu.ft or a 17. I have to measure the space I have. Right now, I have a small chest (freezer that is!) that I am also going to move into my garage in the new place. We have to buy meat and frozen stuff from the mainland and freeze it to cope with prices here! Washer and Dryer: Miele with stands (White). The guy sold me on these. They use very little water and soap and they have a honeycomb interior too, which will really save on the wear and tear of clothes. And they have a pretty huge rebate and energy cash back deal going right now on these. Refrigerator: GE Profile French Door w/ icemaker. (S-Steel) Really nice if you have lots of refer traffic (kids!) like we do. And it's got a nice freezer bottom drawer like my old SubZero, which I loved. (but...I HATE SUBZERO!--arm and a leg to repair! And a ROYAL pain to replace!) I'm also not buying ANYTHING built-in ever again! I got the one with the ice maker in the freezer. They have one with an icemaker and water deal on teh door, but that, for me, is a pain in the neck. The little ones think the water and ice maker are a TOY and I end up cleaning up the mess! No thanks! Microwave: GE Profile Spacemaker (Blk and Stainless): This is such a honey of a microwave!!! You can stop the turntable on it and it fits a 9X11 casserole dish in it or a 20 oz. cuppa coffee! And takes SO little space! I got 2 of these because we are microwave crazy in our house. I'm putting them on a shelf, side by side. Range and Oven (S-Steel) Dacor 38" 6-burner propane and electric: This thing really COOKS! And has convection too. I've had JennAir, Hotpoint, Thermador, etc and this tops them all and is SO easy to clean! Thermador and JennAir are the ones I would NEVER buy again---way too many drawbacks and the downdraft system just drives me NUTS--I will never do downdraft again! Range Hood: 42" Vent-A-Hood (S-Steel): Really SUCKY (and I mean that in a GOOD way!) and QUIET too! Nice design. I got it a little bigger than the stove because that's supposed to keep food smells, etc from wandering out of the kitchen area. Miele Dishwasher (S-Steel): Very cool. Love that the flatware rack is on the top and has its own spray thingy on top and has the ability to wash at 170 degrees. I got the one with the hidden control panel because the babies LOVE to tap, tap, tap on and buttons within their reach! So, anyway, that's what I chose. I'm so glad to be done with that part-my most unfavorite so far. Thanks for the help! It made a difference!
    ...See More

SS Daily Support, Dec Rabbit Rabbit until Dec 7th

Q

Comments (27)
    QOD: Friday: A date with DH! We haven't had a date in 10 months, but finally found a lady who is fingerprinted and back-ground checked who can watch Baby V once a month. Besh, maybe we'll light a fire later...right. One DD has a slumber party and one DD has a dance, so we are going to dinner on the waterfront! Saturday: Book fair at 9. Pick up pre-ordered tree at 10. Community Santa party at 4 to get Baby's pic with Santa,-if he will tolerate it! (Baby, not Santa...) Maybe a visit with prospective adoptive parents. Sunday: Off the rock to choose light fixtures for the new place. Maybe another visit with adoptive parents. Then DH leaves to go to the city for 2 nights and I have big plans to organize THE WORLD--(insert evil laugh here.) Donna- Hugs for your mom. Wow! That sounds painful! I slammed my right-hand pointer finger in my glovebox last Friday and took off the top of it. It's been pretty enlightening, learning how much I use that pointer! It's getting better after getting worse! Patti-Enjoy the scrapbooking. Dave has the right idea, for sure. Have fun with water! Peg: Your aunt is trying to keep you busy so you don't get into trouble! Everything happens for a reason! She sounded like she loved life and has everything planned out for leaving it. I love pre-plans in the funeral biz. It makes decision making much easier. I saw so many families aginize over the deceased and their funerals. PLAN AHEAD! Besh: I never miss "The Year There Was No Santa Claus" Heat Miser and Cold Miser are the bomb! Milkdud: The Friends of the Library here does SO MUCH! They also have a book sale in teh spring at the elementary school that earns a ton of money. People donate books all year and the "Friends" organize them on the risers at the school and sell them for a dollar an inch. NHSuzanne: you and your "Where did the year go?" lol. It was you who, a few months ago, couldn't wait to get through 2008! I remember because I felt SO STRONGLY the same way! Now we have almost made it. Raeanne and Milkdud: I still take the ferry and drive to my old town for dentist--an 8 hour drive plus the time in the chair. I take my kids there too. I can't bear to part with my dentist. I have found a new hairdresser but it's a ferry ride away and a short drive. I sent my kids as guinea pigs for the first visit, but I will go myself this month! Raeanne- PROMOTE YOURSELF. Your work is amazing. But the "shy" you would be fascinating to witness, I'm sure....lol. Have a geat weekend, everyone!
    ...See More

Daily Support, Monday 15Dec to Sunday 21 Dec

Q

Comments (50)
    Good morning everyone! Almost done my cookies - one more batch to go. I do clean as I go - otherwise I'd be working on the floor! Going to start putting away my baking stuff in a couple of minutes once the last recipe is 'in the bowl' and clear off my dining table. Need the space to pile bags of stuff to go down to the in-laws for xmas and to clear out the living room floor so I can start vacuuming today. I want to have my housework done today so when we return from xmas I come back to a clean house and can relax. We are joining all of you getting inundated with snow - it's our turn big time today with a forecast of well over a foot - with blowing snow more like 2 feet already in some spots. Deja vu from this time last year, eh? Some young lad put a flyer in our mailbox for snowshoveling - by hand - I already called him since we want our house clear when we return from traveling too. I'm going to call him today in a bit to ask him to come by when the snow stops, once the plough goes by. I will do some shoveling myself. My neighbors offer to blow us out for free but I don't feel at all right about that - they won't take any money so I have declined. It sounds like a young couple on the phone doing the shoveling and they live around the corner from us - I am quite happy to hire someone needing a few dollars. We have no where to put a snow blower otherwise we'd have one right now. My back is still recovering from the manual labour and I know I have to drop some weight because it spasms when I carry a few extra pounds - doesn't take much these days. Okay, I'm stopping my whining now. I saw the weather in the bad areas on the news last night in the US. My heart goes out to everyone concerned. Not funny at all. Hard to enjoy xmas when you have no heat, running low on supplies and all you can see is more snow falling. Once I get on with my housework I'm going to work on a few craft projects so I don't keep looking out the window. Have some computer work to do too for my website/business I'm trying to prepare for the new year so that's fun too. Hugs to everyone, I will probably check in later! Peggy
    ...See More

Daily Support Dec 13 to Dec 19

Q

Comments (16)
    Good Saturday morning from chilly north Texas! It's windy, sunny, and not supposed to get above 45 again today. Brrr! BJ, I am so sorry for your loss. You dad always sounded like such a good man. He's leaving a legacy of love for all his family. (((((BJ and family)))) (((Suzanne))) Losing fur/feather babies is always hard on the heart. They were blessed animals to have been loved and cared for by you. (((Besh))) Thinking of you and wishing you a much better 2011! Jan, what a lovely gift your mom gave you. Christmas at your house will be even more blessed this year because of it. Prayers for your dh and you. Marci, want to come wrap the gifts I have for my grandson? I walked out of the house in Crosby and left all my gift bags, etc. in the closet, so I'll have to start fresh here. Those are the only gifts I have left to wrap. Raeanne, I enjoyed peeking at your FB pictures of your Chamber Christmas party. You and your hubby are looking good! Dee, I hope your results were good. I've been thinking of you! Tikanis, it's good to see you posting again! I'm one to talk as I've been mostly MIA this last week or so. My apartment is looking pretty good today. Of course, I know that things are stashed everywhere with no logic involved, but it looked decent when my sister came yesterday. She was able to hang 3 pictures for me before she had to go, and the rest is up to me. Once I find the stand for my little Christmas tree, I hope to get in the decorating spirit again. Hard to believe that Christmas is a week from today, and I don't have anything festive out yet. Oh, well. There's always next year, right? Life is good otherwise. Good health, good friends and family, and enough money in the bank to pay the bills - so far! Wishing everyone a productive or restful day - whichever you need most!
    ...See More
  • marci_pa
    19 years ago

My truth was #2. I have never (and never want to) watched any Star Wars movie.

I once ate an entire jar of olives in one evening, not pickles. And I never shaved my head, but my niece did, as a form of rebellion.

I havent opened my gift from Besh yet. I just got home from a very hectic day at school. We had a snow/cold weather delay, which threw our parties and programs off schedule. The programs went fine, but the parties had to be cut short for lack of time. I have 2 boxes of gifts from the kids to open. The morning class made a donation in our names to The Watson Institute, which is where our special needs kids come from. We were so touched. But on top of this, they also gave us a gift certificate to a nice restaurant and lots of individual gifts. The afternoon class gave us a gift certificate to The Mall and lots of individual gifts too! I am overwhelmed at everyone's generosity. I have to go back out again, but I will open everything (including Besh's gift) when I get home.

Gotta run,
    Marci

PS - Gretchen - let me know when your package arrives.

• magickitty
    19 years ago

My packaged arrived from BJ. I opened it when I came home from work. The gifts were wrapped beautifully. I got several pics of BJ and family and a couple of BJ and you gals here on the thread. Very nice. BJ you have a very attractive family. She sent Smoked Salmon Pate, crackers,Seattle Chocolates which I ate 2 of already, Remlinger Farms Clover honey, yummy, a DVD of TVLAND Moguls, Seattle Space Needle noodles, say that three times fast, Aplets & cotlets which sound delicious, a keychain which is a rubber chicken. LOL, and finally my tacky ornament was.....the incredible hulk with a santa hat on climbing into a chimney. Seriously, unless you are a five year old boy, this is TACKY! I love everything BJ, thank you so much. This has been a riot. I am so glad to have joined you ladies.

DeeMarie - still hoping you got yours today.

Magickitty. Oh, the x-mas card BJ sent had a kitten in a mailbox which looks like one of my cats.

• nhsuzanne
    19 years ago

When the smoke of the holidays clear we should all vote on the tackiest ornament! Sounds like there were some real winners with more to come!!

It was zero when I got home at 4:30 today with wind God only knows how cold it really is! I have my barn buttoned up tight and Fred's heater on so hopefully he will be comfortable. Usually, when the barn is full of animals it's a little warmer. Poor old Fred. He is feeling better but I am still not sure he will make the winter. I will cross that bridge later. For now, at least, he is feeling better.

I have to go wrap some presents and I have to tell you ladies that not having to do a lot of useless shopping this year has been wonderful. I have been enjoying picking a variety of charities and it has been feeling good to know that our money is going someplace where it's really needed. I know this is the start of a great family tradition. I hope my in-laws are having the same good feelings I am.

• Wild_Chicken
    19 years ago

I just went out for a doctor-ordered run of hill sprints for 15-20 minutes. ARG! My heart was POUNDING after that! But, it felt good! I'm cleaning my garage today so I needed a little break!

So glad you got the package, MagicKitty! I wanted to give you a taste of the Northwest. All the products you received are made right in my corner of the world! And glad you thought the ornament was tacky!!!!! I couldn't believe anyone would make an ornament like that and actually sell it! lol!

So, I opened my box from Maddie:

And, gad!, I wish I could link a pic of the tacky ornament! It's an upside-down light bulb balanced on a milk jug lid. There is a snowman face painted on the top of the ornament. The screw-in part of the light bulb is painted green and serves as a hat to the snowman. There is even a tassle glued on. Then, there are 2 half popsicle stick arms painted green jutting out of the sides. A string of plastic miniature glitter-y snow flakes serves as a shawl as well as a hanger for the little guy. I'd say, "Maddie! TACKY!" lol!

She also sent:

---wrapped in tissue: a little tiny Raggedy Ann doll dressed in crocheted bloomers and a flowered hanky dress that someone (I venture to guess Maddie) had bejeweled with rhinestones, beads, and crystals. My 16 y.o. DD tried to swipe it the minute I unwrapped it, but I am putting this cutie in my office on the shelf behind my desk. She'll charm anyone who walks in.

---SNOWMEN MARSHMALLOW PEEPS - 2 packages! Okay, my will power is currently FAILING me! :)

---a beautiful hand-painted wooden pin from an artist in her area. It's so COOL!

---and, lastly, a beautiful copper wire and beaded mermaid necklace with a wonderful 2-page hand-written letter/story enclosed with it, explaining each feature of the necklace. It was a very personal gift- one of the most personal gifts I've ever received in my life; extremely touching to me, made even more special because Maddie made the necklace herself at a beading seminar last month. I'm going to photograph it and send it to Marci for the album. Maddie, you have so many talents; you amaze me. My DH loved it too because when I met him, I wore purple contacts and he asked if they were my real eye color and I told him, "As a matter of fact, yes, it is my real eye color. I just happen to be a mermaid." So the mermaid necklace brought forth a flood of memories for us. Thank you so, so much, sis!

Thank you so much for all the wonderful things. What a way to start off the holiday season, sharing an early celebration online with all my cyber gal-pals. This just puts me in the best mood!

Yay for girlfriends! And yay for endless diets! :)

• marci_pa
    19 years ago

Everyone's packages sound great, and mine from Besh was no exception. She sent me some beautiful note cards with 4 different botanical designs. Her package also included a "witchy" ornament that I just loved! It is from the Christmas Krinkles collection by Pat Brewster and my ornament is called Star Woman. She is wearing a witch hat, has long, long legs and witchy boots. Her hat is the top point of the star, her arms the sides and her legs, the bottom two points. I will take a picture later and post it since I don't think my explanation is doing the ornament justice. My tacky ornaments were two styrofoam snowmen with very tall blue hats. My DS suggested making earrings out of them, since I have a matching set! LOL

Besh - Thank you for your great Christmas surprises! I love the witch ornament. It is so unique and is the perfect ornament to remind me of my friend from Salem! It has a place of honor beside Maddie's, DeeMarie's and KYSusie's ornaments from previous years. And a teacher can never have too many notecards. We are always writing little notes and thank you cards. Now we need to find out from Maddie what we are supposed to do with our "tacky" ornaments.

I had fun opening all my presents from the kids too. Lots of candles this year, so my house will smell good! Now I only have to get through one more day and my Christmas break can start, not a moment too soon!

Goodnight,
    Marci

• Gret1
    19 years ago

Marci your present arrived safely!

Thank you for your extremely generousity.

Here is what was in Marci's package. By the way Marci, the box that everything is in is great. It is like a present box.

There are FIRST and FOREMOST some wonderful chocolate bars by Scharffen Berger. Next there are two taper candles that are Bayberry scented. The enclosed card says that if you burn them during the Yuletide Season, they will bring you good luck through out the New Year. I am all over that! There is also a cross-stitched Santa square that is adoble. Did you make that Marci?

There are a couple notepads and one says " I'd stop eating chocolate but I am no quitter" and the other note pad is of a snowman with a snowman ornament. VERY CUTE.

There is a pickle ornament and I know there is a signifigance to it but I cannot remember for the life of me! Also in the box was a pewter ornament that has two angels that says "Friends" under them. It is truely special. I love the pointsettia paper plates and napkins. Perfect for holding cookies. There are two postcards of Pittsburgh and Pennsylvania.

Now for the tacky ornament- HAHAHA It is really not an ornament but a Poo Pooing Reindeer that leaves little "droppings" of candy behind.

Marci- you are too generous. What a wonderful group we are!

Jen: I hope that all of you like your gifts. Felicia Bond is one of my favorite childrens authors. Check out her book " If you give a mouse a cookie". I also picked out the Eloise because of her little pug! Love those dogs.

Wow...I am amazed at Maridc's gifts...

Thank you so very much.

• Tikanas2
    19 years ago

Well, I am fit to be tied! Raeanne, I am SO SORRY that you did not receive your package yet! My neighbor offered to post it for me when she sent her own off. (I mailed all hers last year). She saw me receive my package from DeeMarie and said "oops! I forgot to mail your parcel!" Furthermore, she had put it on her back seat and her kids spilled grape juice all over it obliterating the label! I had to re wrap it and will send it out tomorrow. I feel terrible! Raeanne, if you wouldn't mind, send me your addy again...

I almost feel guilty telling you that I opened my gift from DeeMarie!! Her ornament is SO TACKY!! Our DeeMarie cut out a piece of cardboard, threaded 2 very nice ribbons through it and proceeded to glue photos of the Sopranos on either side with the following headings: " Wishin' yous a Merry Christmas. You gotta problem with dat? Fugget abou dit!" Braeden got home and said "where did you get that TACKY Sopranos ornament?" LOL!! Very tacky!! It proudly graces our tree.

Also included were a nice ornament of Santa ( my favorite guy!)some Greek seasoning so that I might enjoy some of my ethnic traditions, a Nora Jones CD ( I love it!) and a wonderful Good Carb Cookbook that I can't wait to get into. Thank you, DeeMarie! You are the best! It was obvious that you took the time to get to "know me".

My truth was # 2. Does anyone REALLY think I would reference Elvis when naming my kids?!! Ha HA! What fun!

This has been an exhausting day. First, my fridge broke down, then my washer decided to join it! So off DS and I went shopping for new appliances. Between emptying the old fridge, shopping for the new appliances , restocking new fridge and all the kitchen clean up, it was an all day project! I am pooped! It's almost midnight....

On the bright side, I LOVE the new stuff and have so much more room in both of these new appliances. Next, I am down 5 lbs now that I am not on prednisone! I have so much energy too. Suzanne, did you have this reaction when you stopped prednisone?

Well, off to bed. Ive been up since 5:00 am and need some sleep.

Raeanne, I hope that you will think the gift was worth the wait. I had a blast shopping for you!

Tikanas

• yankandtex
    19 years ago

We were gone all day yesterday at doctor appts.

Tikanis~We were over in Sebastian & Vero Beach. I cannot believe the devastation that they still have. It is very sad.

Maddie~I'm glad that you came to the decision to spend time watching the old movies. That is what I would have voted for too. The saying is something like this, "I have never heard anyone say that they wish they hadn't spent as much time with someone when they go. It is always that they wished they had spent more time." No one here would ever judge you though. We all know how wonderful that you are.

I've done pretty good on my guessing, I think. I didn't vote on NH Suzanne's & Raeanne's new ones. My real answer was #3. Dave's real answer was #1.

The gift that I got from Joanne was wonderful. And, her ornament wasn't tacky, I didn't think.

Besh~I'm sorry, I didn't realize that we were supposed to get two ornaments. I, too, was caught up in the tacky ornament.

Joanne gave me some maple syrup but Dave thinks that is his. LOL I got a beautiful Santa mug with some hot chocolate, some Christmas tea, some Christmas napkins, maple leaf pasta, a lady bug pin, some maple fudge, some mint candy, some peach amaretto jelly, cranberry-raspberry merlot jelly, & some maple butter. Everything is wonderful & sounds delicious.

The liver enzymes are coming down. Not as fast as I would like but they are going the right direction. And, my blood sugar was better. It could be even better but I'll take better. So, all in all, I was pleased with the doctor appt. She is putting me on Topomax for my migraine headaches. She is starting me on a low doseage & will go up if necessary.

Besh~I hope that you have your gift by now.

This was SO much fun. Thanks everyone & thanks Joanne. Patti :)

• deemarie5500
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Tikanas, if you look closely at the "santa" (or is it a bear?) ornament, you will notice that he's doing something you like to do!!!!! Look at what he's carrying!

• deemarie5500
    Original Author
    19 years ago

First, the ANSWERS:

DEE MARIE
    1) I wanted to become a nun when I was in 7th grade
    2) I changed my first name when I turned 18
    3) I used to sing with a rock band TRUE

BJ
    1. I auditioned for lead part in "Assassins" starring Sylvester Stallone.
    2. I met my second husband on the Dating Game while working as a Technical Assistant. He was the bachelor.
    TRUE
    3. I have been selected as a finalist in Food TV's "Be the Next Food Network's Star" contest.

MAGICKITTY
    1. Had a photograph published.
    2. Spring breaked with Jack Nicklas for a week. TRUE
    3. Went on tour w/ Ted Nugent for 3 mo. Selling T-shirts

MADDIE
    1) I had dinner with a Congresswoman/General Franks
    2) I was a morning DJ on a local radio station that is now owned by Clear Channel TRUE
    3) I skydived

TIKANIS
    1) Jerry Garcia once threw up on to my shoe
    2) I did a back pack survival trip for 3 weeks in Colorado TRUE
    3) both of my children have references to Elvis in their names

BESH
    1. Ran in the Boston Marathon
    2. Competed in a wet tee shirt contest
    3. Worked as a mall Easter Bunny TRUE

MARCI
    1 - I once shaved my head as a form of rebellion.
    2 - I have never watched a Star Wars movie. TRUE
    3 - I once ate a whole jar of pickles in one sitting

PATTI
    1. Won backstage pass to a Kenny G concert & got his autograph.
    2. Did barrel racing in rodeos in TX.
    3. Attended a barbeque on the set of Dallas. TRUE

SUZANNE
    1. I have had a breast reduction
    2. I drive a motorcycle TRUE
    3. I was born in a 1955 T-Bird

RAEANNE
    1. I wear contacts
    2. I auditioned for Wheel of Fortune
    3. I took a 5-week camping trip across country TRUE

GRETCHEN
    1. I once worked for Regis Philbin
    2. I was arrested for Nude Sunbathing TRUE
    3. Rode a horse along the Pacific Trail from Mexico to Oregon

JEN
    1. I was high school homecoming queen.
    2. I make and drink my own wine.
    3. I ran away and got married. TRUE

DAVE:
    1. Dated a mafia "princess" TRUE
    2. Tried out for the 1980 Olympic shooting team
    3. Delivered Express Mail for President Bush while he was visiting his DMIL in Midland, TX.

now the SCORES (out of 12, excluding yourself!)

Besh 5
    Raeanne 7
    Suzanne 4
    BJ 4
    Patti 4
    Dave 6
    MagicKitty 5
    DeeMarie 4
    Gretchen 5
    Marci 4
    Maddie 3
    Tikanas 4
    Jen 5

CONGRATULATIONS to RAEANNE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (with Dave a close second!)

I'll act as your manager and start to arrange all those book-signings at B&N and Borders! LOL

• aka_raeanne
    19 years ago

Thank you, thank you, thank you very much...

I will get started on that book right away and I will take Dee up on her offer to manage me - someone has to.

Tikanis - I sent you an e-mail and don't worry at all about it - something to look forward to.

Dave - I wanted to say that the only reason I didn't pick the Mafia Princess answer is because I don't want to think of any other Princess than Patti in your life LOL.

Okay Dee, you may have outdone me in the TACKY department - but I did have faith in you (I thought it would have a South Park or Ozzy reference to it, fugget bout da sopranos.

I love how this game became a distraction for all of us and got us all to post over the last 2 days WTG, lots of fun.

Great idea BJ and thanks Dee for taking charge.

gotta run and get some housework done. I hate my house being dirty/messy for the Holidays and that is what it's become. I still haven't completely unpacked from my trip.

• Wild_Chicken
    19 years ago

Hi Guys!

CONGRATS, Raeanne!

I'm cleaning too. In-laws arrive on Christmas day. Still have a TON to do! Clean my oven, laudry, bed-making, etc, arggggggggggg!

Loved the game; it was so much fun!

So, Maddie, you mentioned a 2nd portion to the ornament exchange ---what is it???

Gotta fly! I'll check in later and see what everyone's up to!

• deemarie5500
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Magickitty, no package yesterday. I'm in the office today, so maybe I'll find it when I get home!

Raeanne, the South Park and Ozzy thing was too obvious for me this year! I was going for a New Jersey theme, so The Sopranos was "THE THING"!!! LOL

• Tikanas2
    19 years ago

Hi all! I woke up refreshed and raring to go this am after 6 hours of sleeping like a rock.
    DeeMarie, it IS a bear ornament! (yesterday was very stressful) and he has a pair of binoculars around his neck and is carrying a flower pot. He's a gardening bear! : ) Also, he's got a green jug on one hip. Must be wine ... he'll need to relax after all of that strenuous gardening!

What a pleasure to wake up to a spotless kitchen and new appliances! I have errands to run this AM then it's home to mess up the kitchen again with some baking. LOL! I have to soak the garden as we are experiencing a heatwave here ( 80 degrees for a few days) and my peas are just sprouting...

Looks like Raeanne has to write that book! Dave can co author it. I want an autographed copy!!

Everybody have a great day.

Tikanas

• deemarie5500
    Original Author
    19 years ago

OK Tikanas, he is a bear, but he's going CAMPING!!!! Sorry that it didn't come with a description; I got it online and he's called "gone campin'"!

• maddie_in_ky
    19 years ago

Welll... I need to get an award for being dead last--I've been here since '98, and all I got was *3*??? Scheech!!! LOL!! Bad girl, bad girl!!

OK--part 2--(and yes, there is a part 3 that I'll mention on Jan 1)--will each of you take either a real pic or a digital pic of you with your tacky ornament, and send it to me? (I realize that we're all so busy right now, but I swear this part is a lot less painful than actually opening them!) I'd like a pic of you holding the ornie up next to your face, and in front of your tree, **if possible**. heehee--I love this! :):)

The weather is nuts--we're in the upper 40s/lower 50s today, and then we're under a winter storm warning for tomorrow with up to 8' of snow. And highs on Fri are supposed to be in the single didgets. Sigh... Pattii--scootch over--I'm moving in with ya! :)

Hope al is well! Has anyone heard form Amy?

Hugs,

Maddie

• yankandtex
    19 years ago

Well, Maddie~I didn't get but one more than you so I guess that we are both in the same boat. You are welcome here anytime, as are any of you. Maddie~Do I need to get Besh a nice ornament too? I just missed that part somehow.

I didn't tell about the ornament that Joanne gave me b/c it is kind of hard to describe. Dave describes it as a kind of court jester doll with a S@t@nic look on his face. Now, Joanne, I did not say that. I thought that it was stunning.

Besh~We haven't heard from you so that must mean that my package is late again. I'm going to look after I post.

Raeanne~Congratulations! And, Dave says, "Thank-you for letting him play."

Shout out to all! Patti :)

• aka_raeanne
    19 years ago

Patti - Dave knows us girls pretty well, hehehe. No one ever said you have to get a nice ornament too. I just thought it would be a way of redeeming myself - you haven't seen Joanne's ELVIS.

Maddie - I am a bit nervous as to what is up your sleeve - but bring it on...

• besh
    19 years ago

Hello,

Raeanne, congratulations on the win!

Patti your gift arrived today. First of all I was wowed by the size of the box!!! You totally outdid yourself.

Patti sent to me an adorable tea for one set complete with tea and honey! She also sent Jimmy Buffett's latest novel, "A Salty Piece of Land", perfect for summer boat reading next year! Also included was a Monet calendar (I love Monet) and a coffee mug with the Florida State Bird on it, The Mosquito! LOL I believe it! Now for my tacky ornament, which I really like, it is a Mermaid/Octopus type woman. She reminds me of Ursula in the Little Mermaid. She is proudly hanging in my tree. She looks like she will be hitting on Santa before the end of the night!! Thanks so much Patti, and Dave too. Very thoughtful gifts from very thoughtful people!

Have a great night.

Love, Besh

• magickitty
    19 years ago

DeeMarie - I am really getting mad that you have not received your package yet. I really think a full week and two days is too long for a first class package to arrive at its final destination on the same coast. Holiday season or not. I apologize for our postal service.

Magickitty

• deemarie5500
    Original Author
    19 years ago

That's OK, MagicKitty....I looked again this morning on my back deck (where they sometimes deliver) but it was a no-show. As soon as I get it, I will open it and run here to let everyone know! This is wierd because we could not exchange e:mails either! LOL

Cannot wait for Tikanas to show off that lovely ornament made with love!!!

• aka_raeanne
    19 years ago

Looks like enough fun and games for this board and time to get down to some serious work today. I am off from work now until Monday YIPPPPEEEEE.

I just came back from a stalking expedition. I wanted to give my UPS man a gift and saw his truck go by, but he kept eluding me. His truck was parked in front of a store, so I strategically parked where I had a clear view of him, but this lady distracted me and the next thing I know, he was passing me by. I finally was face to face with him - he gave me a quick wave as he was turning up the street, by the time I turned around he was gone. How can you miss that huge brown truck? I will try to catch him tomorrow - but he may have a police escort with him.

I was going to do food shopping this afternoon, but we got a light rain that quickly turned everything into a sheet of ice, so I shopped locally and got most of what I needed, now I will start to bake and cook and will have to deal with the supermarket tomorrow.

Hope everyone is having a good day and staying out of the hustle and bustle of this season.

• nhsuzanne
    19 years ago

Good Morning All,

I am off from work until Monday too! YIPEEE is right. It's raining here and just at the freezing point so negotiating the roads today should be interesting.

I have an appointment with my optometrist and I can't wait. It's been three years since I had my eyes checked and it's at least two years late! My fault. I can't see very well right now and this will be a relief except I will have to wait for the glasses. The only bummer is that I have to drive east an hour into the worst traffic in the state. UGH I am hoping that I will be able to stop by Home Goods but the parking lot may change my mind! Fortunately, I don't need anything I just wanted to see what they have for the season.

When I get home I will start some cooking. I only have to make a green vegetable and I am going to carmelize some shallots, yum. My SIL and I are in charge of breakfast on Christmas morning and I will make an overnight french toast and scramble eggs, bacon and sausage Christmas morn. Piece of cake.

Hope everyone has a chance to stop in one last time before Christmas.

• maddie_in_ky
    19 years ago

Good morning all!

Well, Louisville is snowed in, and there are no flights in or out, and Grayhound is shut down, too. We got 14" of snow, but several hours of sleet on top of that, and then it snowed some more, and we're looking at record cold over the next several days. Just 15 minutes to the north of us, they got 30", and have declared a state of emergency. (We're **really* hilly around here). Since we never get anything like this, we're really unprepared, although, we're better than we were in '94 (the last time we had something like this come through).

So, Rog is home with me until Monday, I am making fruit-cake cookies as I write, I have the ham staring at me, and all is well.

I tell ya--there's nothing prettier at night than seeing Christmas lights on newly fallen snow....

Love and hugs,

Maddie

• Wild_Chicken
    19 years ago

Hi!

Checkin' in.

My DH has been home and boy, is he keeping this place hopping. Had me clean out the whole garage - that was a huge job, really, I ended up having Salvation Army pick up a bunch of stuff and then I took 2 truck loads of stuff to the dump. There was an amzing amount of unused junk! One bay of our garage seems to be a black hole, with everyone stashing their stuff there!

Next, DH called the carpet cleaners and so we had to move ALL the furniture out of all the carpeted areas for 2 days while the carpets were cleaned and dried. We're moving it all back today.

Then day before yesterday, while I was gone shopping, he called and got furnace estimates and ordered a new furnace. It's being installed today, and they're supposed to arrive at 7am. Mind you, the furnace is working fine, but DH's family is coming for Christmas and he's worried the furnace will go out while they're here, so .... new furnace and I'm stuck here all day.

We have to put together sleeping arrangements for 6 extra people and get the house put back together in the next 2 days.

Someday, I am going to go on a vacation at Christmas time and leave the cookin' and cleanin' to someone else!

Sorry to vent, but Yowsa, I'm stressed today!

Maddie and Suzanne~ Reading your posts makes me calmer. It's nice to know there's a beautiful blankie of snow somewhere and that a family Christmas is in order.

Well, gotta fly! After the furnace is installed, I gotta go grocery shopping! I have to make a dish for a hoilday party we're going to tonight. And we still haven't brought the tree in or done any decorating......!

• aka_raeanne
    19 years ago

BJ - (((((HUGS))))) if I were closer I would do some of that running around for you or housesit while the furnace was being installed - I know how precious our time is right now. I am going to try to recreate that mussel dish we had when you and DH visited - if it is a success I will share the recipe.

Considering I didn't have any shopping done 2 weeks ago, I am amazingly in very good shape (unless I forgot something major).

No snow here, just a bunch of slush that was frozen this AM and is quickly melting now, we are in for high winds and a lot of rain later.

Maddie - snuggle in for the day and be thankful you didn't have to fly or drive any distance today.

NH Suzanne - we had that weather yesterday, but it's warming up right now. I hope you aren't stuck in much traffic or bad roads.

On the diet front - things aren't pretty. I am good for a couple of days and then go back to my bad habits. I really haven't been eating junk. But I have been overdoing the nuts and allowing myself funky bread and pasta. I asked my DH to promise to go to the gym with me after the holidays at least 3 times a week and I will go swimming a few times. I have to buckle down - this is getting ridiculous.

Make the best of your day and do something nice for yourself.

• deemarie5500
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Good THURSDAY Morning!

We had a great time at my Director's home last night; her annual holiday party. Huge platters of shrimp and raw veggies with low-fat dip. She's a doll for thinking about most of us on a forever-diet. She made filet mignon for dinner with low-fat creamed spinach/broccoli that was delish. She had plenty of high-fat stuff too, but it was nice that she took the time... Then we had a wild gift exchange that brings our whole group together. About 20 of us attended.

Lynn, I still see no package. You may want to ask them to trace it if you feel it should have been here by now, but DH said every company was experiencing delays. Did you send it to the WEST side of the lake?

Took the day off and got all the food shopping completed. Also bought a box of fancy chocolates to take to my physician's office tomorrow. His nurses can all use a little weight on them; misery loves company! LOL Just call me QT junior, Maddie.

Maddie, I heard about all that snow. We have temperatures in the high 50's today with lots of rain and high winds coming. No white Christmas for us, but the cold weather will follow. Hunker down with that man of yours and stay warm! Please (both of you!), be careful shoveling that white stuff; really dangerous.

BJ, I would have helped you too. Don't know why the guys feel the need to run around so much so close to the actual holidays. I get nervous with DH around now, because I know he'll come up with stuff right in the middle of my efforts to get everything done and still have an hour or two to put my feet up and enjoy the season! LOL

Speaking of DH, we go this afternoon to another specialist to see if he can help us get rid of all those kidney stones rattling around in DH. Wish us luck; DH is getting a bit frustrated, and I'm praying this guy won't have to get too invasive in removing these stones.

Great big holiday hellos to Jen, Amy, Joanne, Gretchen, Marci, Suzanne, Patti, Dave, Tikanas, John, Besh, and everyone I've forgotten. Come out and say give us an update!

Take care, eat healthy, and NEVER NEVER GIVE UP!
    DeeMarie

"Put the cookies d-o-w-n"

• deemarie5500
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Forgot you Raeanne! Things are not pretty here diet-wise, so I thought I might start walking or running up the thruway and meet you halfway. I"ll only take some water and some celery sticks! Wadda ya say?!!

OK, January 2nd we start all over again...posting our food and our exercise!!

• marci_pa
    19 years ago

{{gwi:1505705}}

As I sit here licking icing off my fingers and dusting the powdered sugar off my nose, it occurs to me that I ate too many cookies while baking!! LOL I made more cookies than usual since I had an extra day off. And what better time to bake than the holidays, when I can give lots of them away. I will make up plates for neighbors, friends and take the rest to our family gathering. The only kind I will leave here are the Pizzelles, DH's favorite.

Well, I think I am ready. We will be going to my parent's house tomorrow night, my MIL's for lunch Saturday and then back to my parent's house for the rest of Christmas day. I love this time of the year even though it is hectic. I realize that I am lucky to have family close by and I treasure every holiday that we can spend together.

Merry Christmas to everyone!! May you all have a wonderful holiday spent with family and/or friends.

Love,
    Marci

• maddie_in_ky
    19 years ago

ARGH! Marci's gif is actaully me and these d@nmed cookies--

Well, I opened my big yap and told my mom that I would just loooooove made my fruit cake cookies for Friday's dinner. I haven't made these suckers in several years (and now I remember *why*), and dad really likes 'em, so what the heck. Right? Wrong!!

Since I'm out of work at the current, buying the ingredients was expensive enough, even catching somethings on sale. The cookies call for 3 cups of pecans, butter, dates, candied cherries/pineapple, etc...

So, I laid out the butter early this morning, soaked the nuts and raisens in bourbon last night--all ready to go--mix mix mix stir stir stir dump dump dump---ahhh...it's beginning to look a lot like cookies! Hmmm... why is the oven at 375 when i have it on 350??? Adjust. Readjust. Adjust again. Close enough. Put cookie dough on sheet, pop it in, Wait. Check. Wait a bit more. Check. Start to worry b/c the edges are getting brown, middles are still rawish. Hmmmm...ok, they look done. Cool. Try to slide on a spactula. Watch as cookie crumples into semi-cooked ball. Try again. Maybe cool longer? Stick them suckers out side in 12 degree temp. Wait 10 minutes and try again. Now cookies are stuck to no-stick sheet. Manage to get them off of sheet, and break them ALL during this process.

Repeat above steps (with modifications that did not work), until you have produced 17 cookies out of a 7 dozen recipe.

Sigh.

Take remaing bourbon and make a highball.

Anyone else having a cooking disaster today, or am I the only sufferin' fool???

And D@mnit, Raeanne--Rog hid the stapler on me, or I would have stapled those &^@^!! cookies together! LMAO!!!

Laughing now--

Maddie

• Wild_Chicken
    19 years ago

Maddie:

Crumble the cookies into large pieces - oh, yeah, you already did that!

Get out your trifle dish - I KNOW you have one.

Layer cookies, vanilla pudding, freshly whipped cream, layer, layer, layer, top with whipped cream. Sprinkle the pieces of nuts left over from kitchen disaster on top of trifle.

Chill. Serve with your knock-out, gorgeous smile and say,

"Dad, I made this especially for YOU!"

• aka_raeanne
    19 years ago

Maddie - only you can turn cooking into an epic production ROFLMAO. I do like your idea about making yourself a highball with the bourbon - I may just do that myself.

I also had a cooking disaster - I was home most of the day, so I decided to make bread. I have attempted to make bread in the past and always failed, I don't know why I thought this time would be any different. Sparing you the gorey details, ut was a total loss. My DH just said he was going to dump it into the garbage and this is from a guy that eats practically anything. Guess he didn't feel like going to the dentist tomorrow.

Marci - thank you for the adorable gif and the beautiful sentiments. Have a wonderful time with your family.

Dee - let me know when you are on your way up, I'll put on my running shoes and meet you.

BJ - you always come up with the most creative suggestions - love ya.

I am putting my feet up for a few minutes.

• nhsuzanne
    19 years ago

OMG, Raeanne and Maddie you guys really made me laugh after a harrowing day!!

Maddie, why do you do it mate? Why do you torture yourself with fruitcake cookies!!!! Your story is so funny and I am glad that it had a happy ending with a bourbon cocktail! What the he!!? LOL

Raeanne, I know what you mean about "why did I think this time would be any different?" You made me laugh. Christmas is like that!!

BJ, I don't know how you survived the day. Good Lord, what was DH thinking?? I don't think I would have been quite as good a sport as you. HUGS SIS.

I got to the optometrist but didn't get anything else done! I left at 11:15 for a 1:15 appt. thinking I could actually sneak into HomeGoods and got to my appointment that was literally three lights away! WRONG. I got to my appointment with about 10 minutes to spare which doesn't sound bad but the whole trip should have taken me just under an hour! Anyway, it was worth it. I came out of there wearing my first pair ever of contact lenses and these are bi-focal! I am totally feeling liberated from glasses, for the time being! I just took them out and I guess the real test will be getting them back in! Anyway, I am very excited.

Got home and finished wrapping and cooking. Have just one thing to make in the morning before I depart for the inlaws.

I am having a nice glass of wine and going to bed soon.

Today is my dear sisters birthday and I did get up to visit her after I got back.

Maddie, you are so right about the Christmas lights on newly fallen snow. Everything looks divine under newly fallen snow. I am glad that you were able to take the time to enjoy that!

Nighty, night.

• deemarie5500
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Happy Christmas Eve!!!

Hope everyone gets those last-minute chores completed.

Suzanne, how wonderful that you got to see your sister! Are you going to get those sexy purple, etc contacts? Looks like you and Raeanne have some cold weather up there

I'm sitting here in my nightgown shivering. Cannot get back to sleep, and I've got a ton of stuff to do today. Tomorrow's dinner count here is 18, so not as bad as it could have been. No one is taking "dates", so it will just be inlaws for me. No one from my family this year; we'll see my sister and her gang for the New Years celebrations.

Got a doctor appointment today....I'm sure that I'm a few pounds heavier than my last successful appointment, but there was a 2-week cruise and about 12 holiday parties in between!!! LOL He's gonna need to give me a break. I'm looking at it this way: my appointment could have been January 3, right? Think of all that damage!

Check in if you can!
    Love
    Donna

• besh
    19 years ago

Merry Christmas to all of my sisters!

Love, Besh
    oxoxoxoxox

• nhsuzanne
    19 years ago

Good Morning Everyone,

I hope you are all got a good night sleep, sans DeeMarie that is! Sorry you couldn't get back to sleep this morning.
    I woke up at my usual time and was in the barn while you were writing! LOL

I sat down after last nights chores with a nice glass of red wine and within two minutes the lights flickered and went out for the night!! I lit a few candles and sat with the siamese boys to finish my wine. The sky was light up with the nearly full moon. It was nice in a way. It's so quiet when the power is out. Except for Blue singing his little heart out!

I am officially all done with everything I have to do for tonights big dinner! I just have to transport everything 2 hours south in one piece!

The weather was like spring last night, pouring rain and balmy! This morning it's cold and windy and ice covered! Ah, New England. I won't complain compared to the weather the poor people in the midwest are getting. WOW.

If I don't get a chance to check in again before Christmas I want to wish each and everyone of you a wonderful and safe day.

Love, Cresca

• aka_raeanne
    19 years ago

Merry Christmas to all of my SS family.

Suzanne - Have a wonderful time with the in-laws and a safe journey.

Dee - why can't we stay asleep when we need it the most? Hope the Dr. appt goes well. That is so nice of you to have everyone to your house - it's a lot of work.

DH is going to go pick up DD's at train station this afternoon, then we go to a Christmas Eve party and then meet friends at a bar (proceeds go to charity) and then home to a nice prime rib dinner. Tomorrow will be quiet, but I like it that way LOL.

Have a healthy, happy and peace filled Holiday.

I love all of you, aka Raeanne

• magickitty
    19 years ago

DeeMarie - I will literally start crying if you do not receive the package today. I am dumbfounded as to why we are having this problem. I will check w/DH to get tracking info as he took it to the post office. I am so terribly sorry.

We made it to Ohio and flew through a nasty storm. Needless to say it was extremely bumpy and everyone broke into applause as the plane touched ground with a beautiful landing into 8 inches of snow and ice. We were told that we were one of the last flights coming into town because of the weather. WHEW!!!!! now we are here to freeze and enjoy the beautiful snow. I can say that cause we will be leaving it soon. Trading it back in for sun, sand and palm trees.

I had an unfortunate event happen at work and will be looking for a new job as of the first of the year. Nothing to bad, just very unfair practices and I have had enough. Life is too short to work with miserable company.

I am wishing everyone a wonderful and safe and happy Christmas.

I will check back later today to see if DeeMarie received her tragically late present.

Take care -
    Magickitty

• yankandtex
    19 years ago

Lynn~I'm glad that you are going to be able to do something about putting yourself in a better job situation. You are right about life being too short to be miserable. Enjoy the snow. Then you can come back to the great weather here.

Raeanne~I am glad that you get to have your DD's with you for the holiday season. My family--including DSs--believe that I was the one to move so if I want to spend any time with them for the holidays then I must come to them. My Dad refuses to even come here to visit. I think that they must be very disappointed that we chose to move to a place where the rent was cheaper & I know that they all hate us being so far away. I think that my sister blames Dave but I know that the rest of the family blames me.

NH Suzanne~Were you able to stay warm? See, I only know what Dave has told me of the North. I've been a Southern belle all of my life. The lights & moon sound pretty & I hope that your goat makes it all right.

Besh~Glad that you liked your gifts. There is a bookmark in the book too. It is pretty neat b/c it has magnets & clips on from those.

DeeMarie~I hate to tell you what I sitting in. LOL I am sorry that it is so cold. I don't like it when it is cold. They are having a dinner here tomorrow where everyone brings something. Dave is making a macaroni salad as we speak. There are over 300 people expected--supposedly the most that they have ever had. I guess that there are a bunch of here this year that didn't have family to share the holidays with.

Maddie~Those are my Dad's favorite cookies too. If you work out the recipe would you share it with me? My Mom just buys sugar cookie mix & puts the candied fruit in it & cooks it. I'm sure that your recipe would be much, much better.

Marci~You are the best. Thanks for taking time out of your busy schedule to share the gif & wish us all a Merry Christmas.

BJ~If I lived closer, I would be in a position to help you when you needed someone at the house so that you could go ahead & get the rest of the things that you need to do off of your list. I guess that you now have a new governor?

We hope to go to a candlelight service at a church tonight & drive around & look at Christmas lights. I want to wish everyone on this board, including lurkers, a Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! Shout out to everyone! Patti :)

• maddie_in_ky
    19 years ago

Hi all!

Raeanne--Oy vey. I gave up on bread along time ago when I screwed up a frozen loaf. (Yep. It was pitiful. Even embarrassed my mom.)

Shoot! There goes the door--be back--

Maddie

• marci_pa
    19 years ago

Merry Christmas Eve!!

Maddie - You are too funny!! I don't think any of us can top your cooking stories. LOL

I only messed up on one kind of cookie this year. It was a Pecan Caramel Brownie. You were supposed to fill the mini muffin liners with brownie mix and then press half a caramel and a pecan half on top. I didn't read the recipe right and I put the caramel half on the bottom of the liner and then the brownie mix and the pecan. No problem, I thought. WRONG. The caramel stuck (like glue) to all the muffing liners and nothing would make them budge. So you had to eat the brownie from around the caramel and throw the caramel away. What a waste of good caramels!! LOL To make matters worse, I paid a lot for those caramels. I went into a candy store in the mall where they sell candy by the pound. I counted out the number of caramels I needed and it was $4 worth! That was when I started thinking that I should have just bought the Kraft caramels for $1.50 a bag, but I reasoned it would be worth it since they were for Christmas cookies. I guess the joke was on me! LOL I did end up making a second batch the right way and they turned out fine.

I am just waiting for everyone in my family to finish getting ready and then we are headed out for the day. Have a safe and happy holiday!!! Drive carefully if you are in the snow belt!! Right now we don't have snow, just temperatures in the teens. But it is supposed to warm up by mid week, so I guess we can't complain.

Marci

• Tikanas2
    19 years ago

Merry Christmas Everyone!!

Suzanne, I am glad that you got a chance to spend some time with your sister on her birthday. I love sitting in the quiet by candlelight too. something almost magical.. I just got contacts too!

Maddie, I laughed so hard re those cookies. Sounds like something that would happen to me! I like Bj's suggestion about making a layered dish with them and vanilla pudding. What a clever idea! Relax and enjoy the bourbon.LOL

Bj, I am not sure that I would have had as much patience if I had all that extra work sprung on me at what is always a very busy time. I would have helped you too, if I were there. In fact we could all have had a party!

DeeMarie, the Good Carb Cookbook you sent is WONDERFUL!! I will be using it to plan my meals starting Monday. Thank you so much!
    Your Christmas party sounds like a lot of fun. I am making a large seafood platter for tomorrow as well: Jumbo shrimp, King Crab legs, scallops, crab salad served in a huge clam shell with bruschetta on baguette.
    I hope all is well with your DH and his kidney stones. No counting calories till Monday so don't worry about your MD appointment.

Marci, I have been licking my fingers for 2 days! LOL How many cookies do you think we consume just licking those fingers, hmm?

Raeanne, I am making bread today too. My kids got me a bread maker for my birthday and I am eager to try it out. I'll be thinking about you. I hope your package comes today... Enjoy the time with your DDs.

Lynn, I like your positive attitude about that job! Life IS too short to be miserable. Better things are ahead for you I am sure (especially w/ such a great attitude)

Patti, I can't believe that family won't climb over hill and dale to spend the holidays with you and Dave! I wish you were here to spend the day with us. We are going to church this evening as well and then on to look at some lights. Big hugs to Dave!

Well, I am finishing the baking ( bread and cheesecake )and the wrapping. Almost done! I got DS tickets to see a concert up in San Francisco this March. He's never been there and I look forward to showing him around.These were very hard to get tix and he has no idea! I told his friend and he said "You are the COOLEST Mom!" Ha HA! I feel vindicated!
    After 2 weeks w/ no prednisone and a 5 day juice fast, I checked in at the Doc and am down 7 lbs!! I feel better than I have in a year.

Wishing all of you, my friends, a wonderful and memorable Christmas !

Tikanas

• maddie_in_ky
    19 years ago

Me, again--

What I started earlier--BJ--great idea, but I wadded 'em up like used Christmas paper, and stuffed 'em down my disposal (George). From the way he grumbled, at least *he* enjoyed 'em!!! LOL!!

Lynn--(((hugs!!))) I am sure that you will find your perfect job soon!! :)

Well, I'm a bit put out--not really, but kinda, semi, sorta. Our Church's Christmas Eve service has been cancelled due to the weather. Drat it! While I love my church, this one service is magic, and for a moment, a beautiful, wonderful, spectaclar moment in time, when I sit in our old, familiar, worn pew, I can see my mom and dad and Aunt Jo and Uncle Louis, and see the candle's gentle glow on the soaring altar, and smell the tree, and I remember all of the wonder and magic of the season when I was a kid, and sat in the very same spot. I wait all year for that one fleeting moment, and tonight was it. And I am sad. For, to me, this service *is* Christmas, and I look forward to it with all of the excitement and hopefulness of a small child on this most special of nights.

Oh well. Such is life, and life goes on. I will remember the ones gone on, and enjoy the ones I can still hug.

Merry Christmas, my incredible friends--

I love you all--

Maddie

• nhsuzanne
    19 years ago

Hello Everyone,

Merry Christmas Eve to all. Glad I was able to log on here and catch up with what is happening today! Right now, I am at my DSIL's house hiding from the hubbub or my MIL's! I think I will just show up in time for dinner like the princess that I am!! LOL That should go over big!

Speaking of baking disaters, my friend who is horse sitting for me told me that she was making cranberry nut bread for her dmil and it came out like bricks and threw it away so she tried pumpkin bread and burned it!!! Some days you wonder why you bother, right Raeanne? LOL

Well, I am thinking of you all while I am here in this Norewllian world..........I will be home tomorrow and will check in.

Merry Christmas

• Joanne13
    19 years ago

Merry Christmas to all my SS Sisters
    We have more snow here in South Western Ontario than Santa has at the North Pole. I have never shovelled so much in my life (well, that's a lie, I shovelled a lot in Montreal).

Anyway, this is the most organized I have ever been. I literally have had nothing to do for the past two days and I am off work until Jan. 4th.
    Going DD for Christmas Eve and meeting the future son in law's mother, then going to Midnight Mass.

Off to Port Dover, on Lake Erie tomorrow to DH sisters, so keep your fingers crossed for decent weather for travelling.

Wishing you all a safe, happy and loving Christmas.
    Joanne

• maddie_in_ky
    19 years ago

Hi everyone!

I hope everyone had a very Merry Christmas! It's still cold her, but it's warming up! :)

Well, I made out like a fat rat. We got a DVD player, and a Bradley Smoker, and he gave me a great necklace--I'll have it with me in French Lick. Inlaws got me a bottle of Creed Spring Flower, cash, sil pjs, and some other great stuff. :):) We had a good day yesterday (and Friday as well, at mom and dads (and no--no video)), and it's hard to believe that we're looking at 2005.

Hope this finds everyone happy and well--

Hugs,

Maddie

• yankandtex
    19 years ago

Maddie~[ [ [ [ H U G S ] ] ] ] I'm sorry that the service was cancelled. It is a special, wonderous time to have the time to sit & reflect on how we felt as children.

NH Suzanne~I had to read your post 3 times b/c I kept reading that your friend was a horse that had a baking disaster. LOL

Joanne~I'm so glad that you were able to post.

Tikanis~I'd take you up on being family! We'd have a real good time. I know that you are a COOL mom!

Amy~If you are reading, I'm supposed to be taking the one stroke class in January so Dave bought me a bunch of paint brushes so that I would have something to start out with.

Raeanne, Marci, BJ, Besh, & Maddie~Dave bought me some books that I probably wouldn't have bought for myself but they are pretty cool. He had heard me say that I was interested in forensic science so he bought me a book that tells about it. (How's that for a husband that pays attention?)

Shout out to everyone! I hope that everyone is enjoying time with their families. Patti :)

• Tikanas2
    19 years ago

I hope that everyone had a wonderful holiday. I know we sure did!

Wow Maddie! You sure made out like a bandit!

Patti, Dave sure is an attentive hubby. : )

I have now read the "Good Carb" Cookbook (from DeeMarie)
    from cover to cover. What a great resource this book is. I thought I knew everything about the glycemic index and good carb menu planning but this book has been very informative. Back on the diet wagon tomorrow and I am armed and dangerous! LOL!

Thanks again DeeMarie! That Nora Jones CD is terrific. I waited till yesterday to open it My son promised to teach me how to post photos tomorrow so I will make my first post that tacky ornament. My daughter came over for Christmas dinner and said "I want one!!" That thing is quite the conversation piece. I almost dread Raeanne opening hers (when she FINALLY gets her package). I certainly hopped the fence of good taste with that one... Asking forgiveness in advance : )

Tikanas

Sponsored