Return to the Diet Club Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I need some support!!!

Posted by nurse1187 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 21, 08 at 9:44

Hello everyone,
My name is Sara. I am a single mom that is always on the go. I work with a Community Support agency where I take mentally challenged or lower functioning individuals into the community to become more involved. My little girl will be 2 in January. Also, I am in the pre-practical nursing program at our local college. Stress, stress, and more stress. In high school I was very big. I got up to about 240 lbs. I grew up in a meat and potatoes kind of family.
My junior year of HS I moved with my sister to a town nearby. I decided that if I was going to move and make that big of a change then I was going to change everything. So, I started working out everyday and eating nothing but...fish, chicken or turkey, brown rice, whole wheat or multi-grain bread, lots of fruits and veggies, and tons of water. My goal weight was 150, I got down to 137. I loved the way I felt and looked for the first time in my life. But, then I found out I was pregnant...long story short I now weigh 120. The weight I gained from my pregnancy isn't the problem. It's the junk I eat to keep up with my life. Fast food is not my friend but I like the way it makes me feel. Also, slim jims, any convenient store grab-n-go kind of food, and RANCH DRESSING. I put ranch on everything. I joke about my weight, but honestly I am very self conscience. I don't really have the support team I need. I love to work out once I get started, but that is the problem getting started and having the time. So, if anyone can offer me any advice (besides "Just stop eating that junk.") it would be great. What I need more than anything is support and understanding that it is not easy to quit eating the things I have been. I also want to set a good example for my daughter. I dread the day she realizes her momma is fat. I know this has been a really long post but I wanted my situation to be understood. Thank you so much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I need some support!!!

Hi Sara,

I don't have any advice besides changing your diet and getting more exercise. Your daughter is a good incentive to losing some of the weight. I do know what you mean about loving certain foods. I have my favorites that I've just had to cut out. It took me a year to gain this weight and nearly a year to make the decision that I was willing to not eat what I wanted to get rid of the weight.

Start by drinking a lot of water. I fill 2 (1 liter) bottles in the morning and take them with me to work. That way I know I'm at least getting my 8 glasses a day. Then I cut out coffee and started drinking green tea instead. That gets you more fluids.

If you need to eat out a lot, start making bigger meals at home and reserving some for during the day. I make a big pot of brown rice 1-2 times a week and then use it in to-go meals during the week. Cut up a bunch of carrots and celery (takes more calories to chew than you are actually eating!) so you have snack food on the go. Make up little portion sized baggies of almonds, walnuts, dried cranberries or raisins. Planning ahead will help the impulse stops at fast food restaurants. If you stopped at a park instead, took one lap around and then drank some water and then ate one of your healthy snacks I'll bet it would take the same amount of time as the drive thru.

I wish I had a magic wand. Best of luck to you.

o

I definitely understand. I was 244 last October & have lost 60 pounds in the last year. I've been up & down the scale since the birth of my DSs. My oldest was 30 in June. I have CFIDS & Fibromyalgia & have a hard time exercising. I take meds that have side effects of weight gain. My DH does the cooking & rarely fixes veggies. I don't have a lot of control. About the only thing I can control is portion size. Really, I think you just need someone to listen to you. Someone who has/is been there. You don't need a speech. The weight loss will happen & a lifestyle change will happen when you are ready for it. Let me just say that you have made a giant step in asking for someone to listen. I'm around & am willing to listen if you want. All you have to do is let me know. Patti :-)

o

Thank you so much for your insight. I have been trying this last week but it isn't easy. I keep telling myself that after the holidays are over I am going to start over. We'll see what happens. But, your words of encouragement and support are exactly what I need. Thanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Diet Club Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here