SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marci_pa

SS Daily - Mon. 11/7 thru Sun. 11/13

marci_pa
18 years ago

Hope everyone had a good weekend and is ready to start a healthy week!!

Comments (39)

• nhsuzanne
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Good Morning All,

Thanks for the early birthday wishes!! I was confused when I saw that. Thought I might have forgotten my birthday. Then I realized it's not likely that I will forget my 50th birthday!

DH came home on Saturday afternoon. He was happy to be out. AND, before he left, he got the best news that the cancer has not spread to the lymph nodes. BIG SIGH OF RELIEF............ Now, he just has to get through the next six weeks without shredding his skin graft. He is supposed to be confined to bed with the exception of a 1/2 hour a day for dinner. You can imagine what this is going to be like in a week or so. He's already restless.

I don't have any news, I have neglected my animals by not spending any time with them. I hope to get out today to see them for a while. They are so dirty and muddy. Last night we had some pretty intense thunder storms which made nice mud for them to roll in!

I have not had time to read posts but will try to get up to speed today. I hope everyone is well.

• aka_raeanne
    18 years ago

I had to head back down to Staten Island, as my dad passed away on Saturday night. He can finally be at peace and I am thankful for that. Living 10 years with alzheimers is more than anyone should endure and he didn't deserve it. My sister was a total wreck, so I went down to make all the arrangements. We are keeping everything private and for family only (my mother's wishes). He will be creamated and we will go to Syracuse for a service. I am handling this very well as I feel like I have mourned for 10 years already and at the risk of sounding cold, I am feeling more relieved than sad.

BJ - I have to give you a lot of credit for what you do. This funeral director was so comforting and made everything quite effortless for us. I made my intentions clear to him on Saturday night, he set up an appointment to meet on Sunday and he never once pressured me into taking advantage of any of their other services, etc. I went 30 years ago with my dad to make arrangements for my grandmother and we were pressured to purchase a more elaborate coffin, etc. So I was pleasantly surprised by the entire process.

NH Suzanne - I am so thrilled for DH's good news. I hope he doesn't drive you totally crazy for the next 6 weeks. I would have to put restraints on my DH.

KY Susie - I don't know if you read anymore, but I wanted to wish you a great birthday and let you know that the ladybugs miss you.

Saturday Menu:
    B - Smoothy and fruit
    L - 1/2 Tuna sandwich on pumpernickel
    D (restaurant) - Tossed salad, prime rib and grilled shrimp
    No starches, no dessert 2 glasses of Pinot Noir

Sunday Menu:
    B - on the road at a very limited rest stop - 1/2 bagel
    L - Turkey sandwich and deli pickles
    D - Nothing - no appetite
    S - Cheese & 2 glasses of Red Zinfandel - (do you see a trend here - do I have a problem LOL?) actually these 2 glasses were purely medicinal after the day I had.

I do have cocktail napkins that say "Wine - A serving of fruit".

DeeMarie - I think you should be back by now - let us know.

Make the best of today.

• Related Discussions

SS Daily Support - Mon. 3/7 thru Sun. 3/13

Q

Comments (28)
    A heartwarming story...thanks for the link. It always amazes me that people can get in - with their kids! -a barely seaworthy vessel and set out on a journey to who-know-where. Courage and bravery come to mind---but also the chance of sacrificing your family. It takes a wild thought process to come to the decision to risk it all and take off. The whole experience for the students must have been mind blowing. It changes one's outlook on life and what's really important. On Saturday, I hope to spend most of the day outside, connecting with nature in the garden. If I get it pruned, weeded, and swept, I may reward myself in the next couple of weeks by buying a cool plant or two at the nursery. Sunday, I'm going to help a teacher build a set for the kindergarten St. Pat's Day play. That should take but a couple of hours, so maybe I'll take the kids to the beach! It's lovely weather here. I decided I'm not freaking out about the chores this weekend...can you tell it's the end of the end of the quarter for me? One more paper due and I'm off for a week on the COLD east coast! *********What's important to YOU this weekend?********** Check in before you check out for the weekend!
    ...See More

SS Daily Support Mon 9/11- Sun 9/17

Q

Comments (10)
    Well why didn't you say there was a party going on here?? LOL Seriously, I can't believe how long I have been MIA. I am okay just busy. I had a wonderful camping trip; in fact, it was enchanting. The field was covered with second cut red clover and the Monarch and some other small yellow butterfly were just everywhere in the field. It was truly beautiful to watch them dance in the sun. The moon was full and rose in a big orange ball each evening and then gave way to soft light through the light. The kind of light I could look out of my trailer and see the girls sleeping in the grass...........wonderful. The true topper this year was the performance of bluebirds who visited our camp in masses of 12-20 at a time. No kidding, I have never seen anything like it. They would come and sit on the horse fencing and sing and flirt. It was truly amazing........if only I could have gotten a photograph. They must be gathering for migration as the butterflies are. The horses were energetic as it was cool and we had some wonderful miles long cantors and trots! It was so nice and I had so much fun. The weekend almost ended in disaster as we were walking the horses down to the sandy brook for a cooling off Sweet Pea fell down and landed on her side. She was really struggling and I did not know what had happened or how to help her. Suddenly, she laid still and righted herself and got herself up. When she was safe investigated and she had fallen into a bottomless hole which was no doubt a woodchuck's hole. These are the holes that snap horses legs in two. I was almost nauseaous when I looked down into that hole. She had some swelling her fetlock but she was fine the next day. I shudder to think of what had happened if I had been riding her when that happened. Ugh, perish the thought! Anyway, she was fine and the weekend was wonderful. You all are right, it's very quiet here!! SO, where is everyone???? Not much else new here - just work, work, work. DeeMarie, I am SO DISAPPOINTED that you don't have a photo of you on or at least NEAR a horse. You didn't even touch one????? Glad you had fun.
    ...See More

SS Daily- Mon. Oct. 5th thru Sun. Oct. 11th

Q

Comments (22)
    Hi all! Thanks for all of the bday/anniversary wishes--I had a great week, and we had a really nice anniversary! :) Rog got me tickets to see A.J. Jacobs (the author--he writes for Esquire, and is like Bill Bryson--really hysterical!), and tickets for Anthony Bourdain the next night. Now, he's yummy! :) Then, this past Friday night, I went to see a live showing of Rocky Horror--gad, that was f*u*n! No props, but it was still fun yelling out the lines to the actors! :) We're going to Chattanooga, TN next weekend to look at fall foliage, and just have fun and relax. So, it's been a lovely couple of weeks! School is going well, too. I just took another algebra test, and did suprising well on it. I am one point away from an A average, so hopefully, I can get it. Even though I've worked in corporate accounting/finance for decades, I still am not a math person. Go figure. LOL! I'm enjoying it, though, and it's good to get the ol' gray matter up and working again. I did get a very nice complement from a friend. We were discussing my going back to school at my age, and she said that I was her hero for doing it, and that she'd like to be a nurse too, but that she didn't think she could do it. I told her that I thought that if *I* can do it, anyone can and that she'd be a wonderful nurse (and she would). I just thought that was nice as I've never been anyone's 'hero' before. :) Milkdud--liver! Urk! :) I like the taste, but can not get past the texture. Congrats on good numbers! :) I started eating better, and walking 3 miles a day, and I feel so much better. I think that mess I went through in July was a real b*tt-kicker for me to take better care of myself. Speaking of that........ (drumroll, please!) I am down almost 50 pounds from my top weight!!!! And I have bought a pair of 7 for All Mankind jeans, and got in Âem, and they are comfortable. I am thrilled, to say the least! I want to lose another 20 pounds to get to a healthy BMI, and then maintain this. I canÂt believe thatÂs itÂs this close to Halloween already. Gad, what a year. Does anyone what to do a Christmas exchange this year? (I know that I missed last years, so IÂm hoping that we will do it this year!) Anyhoo, gotta goÂhope all is well with everyone! Love and hugs, Maddie
    ...See More

SS Support - Mon. 10/29 thru Sun. 11/4

Q

Comments (49)
    Good Friday morning! Raeanne, bon voyage. I am so glad you got that package in time LOL! Have fun. John, see the effect you have on women! Sounds like you were the perfect gentleman. Good luck sleuthing, I mean babysitting! Hopefully they pay more for babysitting than .50 an hour that I was paid years ago. LOL Maddie, I am still trying to figure out how I can pull NYC off in December. I am in on the exchange too. Besh, have you given any thought to NYC? Good job on Dee's package BJ! Have fun at your planning party tonight. Planning is the key. Dee, enjoy all those lovely gifts! What a fun package to receive. Speaking of planning I have my carriage club's planning meeting tomorrow night. This is where we plan all the events for 2008. It's a pot luck (ugh) but I plan on being prepared for good eating with what I bring. I have to get a photo of this but will share so you can imagine what I am seeing: About 2 miles from my house is a lovely farm with big fields on both sides of the road and a lovely antique colonial home. The fields host flocks of sheep all summer and fall. On my way home Halloween evening someone had delivered to both fields huge piles of pumpkins for the sheep to eat. So I am driving along taking this all in. The sheep, some with black faces, eating from these huge piles of pumpkin, the setting sun filtering through the trees giving off this warm cast of oranges and golds through the leaves and a old man (presumably grandfather) standing next to this tow headed boy who is petting one of the sheep through the fence. It was all too beautiful. I will try to get a photo of the sheep and pumpkins but I doubt I the camera will ever be able to capture what is in my mind's eye. I hope you can imagine it.
    ...See More
  • aka_raeanne
    18 years ago

Maddie/Jen/KY Susie - please check in and let us know you are okay. I'm not sure if any of you are located in proximity to the tornado - but I'm thinking of you.

• besh
    18 years ago

Raeanne, I am so sorry about your Dad and so sorry about what he has been through in the past 10 years. And no you don't sound cold. You are a loving and caring daughter that did not want to see her Dad suffer any longer. God Bless you and God Bless your Dad. (((((HUGS))))

Suzanne, what wonderful news. I hope that the next week is not too painful, (for you!)

Happy Birthday KY Suzie. I miss your "Hello Ladybugs" too.

Love, Besh

• yankandtex
    18 years ago

NH Suzanne~Happy Belated Birthday! Good news too, to beat. That is great.

Raeanne~So sorry. xoxoxo

KY Susie~If you are reading this then Happy Belated Birthday to you too.

I didn't read anymore than this. I have printed everything out & will come back here later. ta-ta Patti :)

• yankandtex
    18 years ago

Marci~No, Dave wasn't close to this Uncle. The family had disowned him a long time ago due to him being a big alcoholic & drug addict. (I know that that is probably the time that he needed them most.) Supposedly he had been clean for 10 months. No one knows if they live in TX or NY.

Marci & Raeanne~Thanks for the hugs & all. It really was a hard week. Then DS#1 got angry with me last night & I just lost it. I had to put Dave on the phone.

Raeanne~My Mom said the same thing about my Grandmother's passing. She had Alzheimers for quite some time & she said she felt like she had grieved all of those years. I'm wondering the same thing about Maddie/Jen/KYSusie--please check in with us to let us know that you are doing all right.

NH Suzanne~All right so we jumped the gun on your birthday. You can have 2 this month. LOL NOT! (I mean that I don't think that you would like that.)

DeeMarie~Where in the world are you?

Besh~I'm so glad that you are posting again.

ta-ta Patti :)

• marci_pa
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Patti - I am so glad that YOU are posting too! There are more hugs where those came from if you need them.

BJ - I eat those All-Bran bars all the time. I like both flavors. Glad you found bagels that are similar to the Thomas' ones. Only one store in our area carries them, and I stock up when I find them and freeze them.

NHSuzanne - Now that I have everyone thinking about your birthday, and now that I know it will be your 50th, we can throw you a "proper" party on the right date.
    That is such good news about DH. Be patient with him and find things for him to do while he is sitting there and hopefully he will behave himself and heal properly.

(((Raeanne))) - I am so sorry about your Dad. Even though his death was "welcome" so to speak and expected, it is still a loss. My grandmother died 12 months after having a stroke and she suffered greatly. I was relieved for her, but still cried for my loss.

We started out the day without electricity at work. It came on 1 minute before I let the kids in. After that, it just seemed like everyone had gotten off on the wrong foot today. We made vegetable soup and almost half the kids forgot their veggies. Co-worker's alarm didn't go off and she was rushed this morning. I didn't get to relax until 3:30, after waiting a 1/2 hour for a Dad that didn't show up at 3:00 like he was supposed to. Hope tomorrow is better.

Don't forget to vote tomorrow!

Marci

• Wild_Chicken
    18 years ago

Patti, NHSuzanne: Ditto to everything Marci said!

Marci! That's funny...I, too, bought a bunch of Sara Lee bagels and froze them! What squirrels we are!

Raeanne~ Sorry to hear about your dear ole dad. I know how you feel, as my grandma lived for too long with a faulty memory chip. She was a sharp old gal but something short-circuited one day and that's all she wrote! She was cute, but couldn't keep track of --- or remember us ---when we came to visit. She lived in a nursing home while we waited and some prayed, for her to take her journey. We were sad to see her pass on, but also relieved because that was not a great way to exist.

(((((((HUGS to you, my friend)))))))

Thanks for the kind words regarding the funeral industry. Now nearly everyone is paid by the hour, not by commission on what they sell. It's so much nicer all the way around. No pressure on either side. I could not work if I had to be a saleperson in this business. Comfort and closure for the family, and the celebration of the deceased's life is the reason I'm doing it. And I love going to work...and I love coming home after the day is done. I'm lucky.

Okay, menu time:

Brekky:
    2 egg whites plus 1 egg
    1 strip of bacon

Rocket fuel on the way to work:
    1-16 oz. n/f, s/f vanilla triple shot latte
    (I don't know what got into me!)

Lunch:
    110 cals worth of checkerbox pretzels
    2 T. hummus dip
    (my girlfriend makes this; it's SO addicting)
    Cucumber salad
    1/2 cup baked fruit I made last night-
    (in a glass casserole: baked a combo of raspberries, strawberries, rhubarb, and apples plus Splenda and a little cornstarch at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes last night - pretty yummy)

Snack:
    16 oz Celestial Seasonings tea with honey

Dinner:
    Medium-rare steak (about the size of a deck of cards)
    Raw spinach, grape tomatoes, and feta salad topped with 50 cals of Balsamic dressing

Dessert:
    1/2 cup baked fruit

Late night snack:
    Sleepy Time tea with honey

HEY! I took the kids to Chicken Little movie last night! SO CUTE and great 80's music track throughout the whole movie. Worth seeing either in the theater or renting later.

Okay, KENTUCKY girls-----

Y'ALL CHECK IN NOW, YA HEAR? THAT'S AN ORDER!

• marci_pa
    Original Author
    18 years ago

B - Thomas' Carb COnsider Whole Wheat Bagel with 1 T Natural Peanut Butter and 1/2 a banana
    Herbal tea

L - Wrap made with whole grain tortilla, 2 oz. roast beef, 1/2 oz. Swiss cheese, horseradish sauce and spinach

S - Mott's SF applesauce

D - Triscuits and string cheese (Came home late and was more tired than hungry)

S - WW Pumpkin Angel Food Cake (173 cal and NO fat) with Splenda sweetened whipped cream

I have Stitch 'N B*tch tonight, so I hope to just nibble and not overeat. We are making our Thanksgiving crafts at school and it just seems weird when it is still 65 degrees out and I have summer flowers still blooming in my garden. Not much else new here.

Go out and vote today!!

Marci

• jprakia
    18 years ago

HI folks,

No news on the job yet, im playing the waiting game, oh joy.

B - 1/2 a dozen eggs, 3 sausage patties and 1/2 a slab of bacon, 3 jelly donughnuts, large coolata.

S - celery stick.

L - 2 big macs a super size fry and jumbo chocolate shake, 2 apple pies.

S - carrot stick

D - 16 oz ribeye, loaded baked potatoe, side salad with ranch dressing, cheesecake with strawberry topping.

S - pint of cookie dough icecream with a tub of cool whip.

I hope everyone has a great day!

John

• nhsuzanne
    18 years ago

Good Morning,

Raeanne, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I understand your feelings of relief for your father. He is surely in a much better place and not suffering. I am glad that you are handling this well and able to take charge. Sending positive thoughts and light your way. Hugs...........

• aka_raeanne
    18 years ago

Thank you for all the hugs - they felt good.

I left work early yesterday, just couldn't concentrate well enough to be of any use.

I came home starving and that was a HUGE mistake, as you will see in my menu.

B - Fruit salad
    L - 1/2 bag of Cracked Pepper Cape Cod potato chips, 2 pieces of chocolate, handful of nuts - I am not very happy with myself right now
    D - Pot Roast with onions, carrots and potatoes - why not after the lunch I had
    1 glass of red zin - I am getting better

No exercise!

John - I have had your menu many times - it tastes real good, we have to do something about the celery and carrots though.

Marci - DD was in Pittsburgh visiting a college friend last weekend and loved it - she thought it was a pretty neat city.

BJ - I heard that Chicken Little was great - did you ever see the March of the Penguins? I haven't, but really would love to see both.

Well today is a new day and I am going to make the most of it.

• Tikanas2
    18 years ago

((((Hugs))) Raeanne! Sending prayers your way.

Patti, I got your message and will catch up with you soon! I am sorry to hear about Dave's uncle. Give Dave a hug from me!

NH Suzanne, that is GREAT news about your DH! But that bed rest is gonna kill YOU!! Lol!

Happy belated birthday, KY Susie!

Bj, You are doing a wonderful job posting your menus. In fact, all of you are!

Marci, I voted yesterday. Never missed an election since my 18th birthday!

John, I read this thread upon waking and had to read thru your post twice before I realized that you were joking. I only wish that my menus looked less like yours and more like some of the others! : )

Another busy work week. Learning to chart on the PDA is challenging. My paycheck will be short this week as my time sheets don't match my nurses notes and the whole mess will take another pay period to unravel.I am REALLY enjoying the work though. Got up early to pack a decent lunch. It is WAY too easy to grab fast food when you are in a hurry!

Anybody heard from Amy? If you are out there, Amy, I have been thinking about you and hope that you have gotten your medical situation in hand.

I am waiting to vacation vicariously through DeeMarie so I hope she checks in with details soon.

Stay strong and stay well!

Tikanas

• aka_raeanne
    18 years ago

Yesterday was a tougher day for me than the previous. I had to write my dad's obituary and that really stirred up a lot. But I was thankful that I could do things like that from a distance and take pressure off of other family members. We are having a memorial service for him on Sunday, by my mother.

Menu:
    B - Don't laugh - leftover pot roast - I said don't laugh!
    L - At a friends house - a Thanksgiving feast - turkey and all the fixin's (I drew the line at dessert and was able to resist homemade pies of every variety)
    D - Leftover pot roast - not very hungry after the big lunch I had

Exercise - Me and 2 girlfriends went for a short walk after lunch, it wasn't long but it did include a couple very steep hills and we picked up our pace when a couple big dogs came charging at us and barking (not in a friendly manner). That really irked me, because the owner must've heard the commotion or at least me screaming at them to "GO HOME". I feel like calling the animal control officer on them.

It was a day filled with comfort foods and only a half of glass of wine - I had to finish the bottle before it went bad.

Tikanis - thank you for your prayers.

It is very comforting to know that you can come here and get the support you need - all of you are wonderful friends.

Marci - were you able to only nibble last night? I hope so.

I have to go as I am trying to coordinate schedules and reserve hotel rooms for my family.

• nhsuzanne
    18 years ago

Good Morning,

Raeanne, (((((BIG HUGS)))))). Wow, I never even thought of what it would be like to write a parents obituary. I think I will write my own to save everyone the trouble! LOL I am sure that this is taking a bigger toll on you than you are really aware of. I hope you will allow yourself the time you need to grieve (more) and finalize. You probably feel as though you are being pulled through a vaccumn. It's something I feel during these times. Take care of yourself and remember that zin and zen is good for you!!

Tikanas, I am glad things are going well for you albiet busy, busy, busy. It's better than being bored.

I have a busy day getting ready for snow. I really procrastinate those chores and it's been easy to do because it's been so warm. It's supposed to be a nice weekend after some rain tonight where we are expected to break the record for rainfall of over 48" this year so far. We had some terrific thunder storms last Sunday night! That was strange.

I hope everyone has a great day.

• Wild_Chicken
    18 years ago

Brekky:
    1 egg/2 egg whites
    Sara Lee WW bagel w/ a little butter

Snack:
    GeniSoy salt-n-vinegar crisps
    (25 crisps=100 cals, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein)

Lunch:
    Butternut squash w/ rosemary, steamed in microwave
    Tomato and shredded Moz cheese salad
    Coffee w/cream

Snack:
    GeniSoy crisps again

Dinner:
    1 cup and a half of sauteed carrots, onions, parsley
    Piece of bread
    (quickie dinner as I was out the door to a Creative memories/Body Shop neighborhood party)
    Coffee w/cream

And no, Raeanne, I won't make a pact that if I stop drinking coffee, you'll stop sipping wine. I'd never make it!

I'm going to Weight Watchers tomorrow morning with a friend of mine. I have been weighing in there for a few weeks while she tries the program. I am a lifetime member, so I can go any time and weigh in. We'll see what posting my menus has done for me this week! My goal is to at least maintain my weight throughout the holidays. My chick friend wants me to join her gym (Bally's) and I am considering it- just to MAKE ME exercise through the winter. Summer biking was easy, but now it's
    c-c-c-c-cold outside! BRRRRR!

Raeanne~ It's a difficult exercise to write a family obituary, to enclose the lifetime of a person in a column or a service folder. It's tough to distill it down. I feel for you. On the bright side, it helps begin the process of closure and makes you proud of your dad. ((((HUGS)))
    I've enclosed a link in case anyone wants to start planning ahead.
    PS: I haven't seen March of the Penguins yet. No one wanted to see it with me. ü

Maddie~ Did you get the casino job? Has Rog come out of his bad mood yet? Did the tornadoes bypass your place?-I know you're right on the border of the 2 states...

NHSuzanne~ If you think you were getting less time with the animals while DH was in the hospital, just wait till he's home for a while! ESCAPE TO THE BARN!!!!!

Marci~ Question- Do you make the WW pumpkin Angel food cake yourself?--- or does it come prepackaged? SOUNDS YUMMY!

John~ Great menu! It's a wonder youfre still losing! It's a miracle! And your meds are down too! WOW! You really should write a book. (lol)

Tikanas~ Good to hear youfre BUSY! Best way to be!

See you guys tomorrow!

Here is a link that might be useful: Preplan Form

• Wild_Chicken
    18 years ago

I don't know why all those strange symbols popped into my post. It's otherworldly, I swear..................

• marci_pa
    Original Author
    18 years ago

BJ - I thought it was a new way of swearing!!!
    And I do make the WW Pumpkin Angel Cake. I will post the site with lots of WW Cakes. To me, it is more the consistency of a P. Pie, but that is okay with me, as that is what I was in the mood for.

I did nibble last night, and nibble, and nibble and nibble some more. I also had a glass of wine and got an instant headache. Then I only slept 4 1/2 hours last night, so I hope I get a good night's sleep tonight. The nice thing is that tomorrow is my Friday, since I have Veteran's Day off. It is my DD's 22nd birthday and she can't come home. She did tell me that after her big 21st birthday last year, the rest are all downhill. LOL

Raeanne - You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. Hope the service goes as planned.

I broke down and bought a flat screen Enhanced Definition TV this weekend. At least we will have one modern TV in the house. Now we can start saving for a bigger one for the family room. Maybe they will be more affordable in a few years.

Yesterday's menu:
    B - Yogurt parfait made with 4 oz. blueberry yogurt, 1/2 C Kashi Go Lean Crunch, 1 T sliced almonds and 1/4 C blueberries.

L - SBD Whole wheat crackers, string cheese and apples slices.

S - 2 fun size Hershey's with almond bars

D - SBD Four Cheese pizza

S - Nibbles, nibbles and more nibbles + a glass of wine + an apple dumpling with vanilla ice cream! (Wish mine were a joke like John's! lol)

Am doing better today with my menu, but have gotten off track with my exercise. Need to get my energy back first and for that, I need to get a good night's sleep.

Later,
    Marci

Here is a link that might be useful: WW Cake Recipes

• maddie_in_ky
    18 years ago

Hi all!

(((((((((big, sloppy, loving hugs)))))))) Raeanne. I am so very sorry. And my friend, you are not 'cold'. I firmly believe that passing can be a great blessing to all involved. As much as it tears our hearts to lose them, they are in a better place. You're in my prayers--

BJ--I did get that job, but before I accepted it, thye upped the postion to a supervisor and offered me $8k more. Well. First time ever that I got a promotion and a raise *before* I even started! LOL! I went through orientation yesterday and today, and I saw $83 million in chips---scheech! We'll see how this goes--I will work on Thanksgiving and Christmas, which is a first, so, we'll see. This doesn't mean that I'll stop looking, or that I've given up on my auction barn. I will say that these are the nicest bunch of folks that I've met in a loooong time.

We had someting scary last night. We were sitting on the couch in the LR when someopne knocked on the door. We weren't expecting anyone, but BIL works about 5 minutes from us, and Rog thought it was him. It was 9:20pm, and very dark outside, and when Rog looked through the peephole, he could tell it was a guy, so thinking it was his brother, he opened the door. WRONG! It was one of our customer's who tracked us down (we don't have our address on our cards for this very reason), and wanted to exchange soemthing. Did I mention that it was 9:20 PM??? Rog told him he had the wrong address, and today, we got a PO Box. Scheech!!! Can you believe that? To show up, unannounced, at 9:20PM, to an obviously residentail address, and then knock on the door. O.M.G.

No, the storms were about 3 hours east of me, about an hour or so east of KYSusie, and probabaly hour and a half west of Jen. A girlfriend's DSis and her family lives in one of the towns that was hit, so I am praying that they're OK. I'll know tommrrow night, since we are having dinner together along with other peeps we worked with.

OK--the Christmas Exchange: so far, I've got:
    Patti
    Tikanas
    Marci
    NHSuzanne
    Raeanne
    BJ
    me

Anyone else? Rog will draw this weekend, so I'll post the matches this coming Monday afternoon. NHSuzanne mentioned a Feng Shui themed exchange, and i think that would be great--what does everyone think, or are there any other suggestions?

Gotta go--got a grouchy cat to irritate! heehee! :)

Hugs,

Maddie

• marci_pa
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Maddie - You might want to wait until DeeMarie gets back from her cruise. I know she always participates in the exchanges.

I like the Feng Shui idea, but I might need some coaching as to what kinds of things we should look for.

Gotta get off the computer, storms are getting too close for comfort. Who ever heard of thunder and lightening in November!?

Marci

• aka_raeanne
    18 years ago

Maddie - thanks for your kind words and hugs. I am thrilled for you and your job - this may be the one. I would think that it would be an exciting industry to be involved with, and congrats on the raise and promotion LOL.

I'm not sure I have Joanne's e-mail, but she may want to participate in the exchange too and I'm certain we can count on DeeMarie.

Marci - let's see how everyone else feels about the feng shui, but there are a lot of little feng shui type things - like candles, crystals, mirrors, etc.

I don't know if I mentioned that I will be in the audience of Martha Stewart next Thursday for a taping, I got 4 tickets and my 2 DDs and my best friend will be going with me. I don't know when it will be aired or who will be her guests, but I am sure we will have a good time.

Menu:
    B - Smoothy
    L - cup of vegetable soup and 2 appetizer sized crab cakes
    D - We finished off the pot roast - it was the best I have ever made and served it with a horseradish sauce
    NO WINE

Make today a good one.

• jen823
    18 years ago

Good Morning,

I have been out of town this week, so haven't got caught up.

I am still trying weight watchers, lost two pounds, 28 to go.

Maddie, count me in on the Christmas gift exchange.

Raeanne, I am sorry to hear about your dad. (((HUGS)))!!!

Better run.

Jen

• aka_raeanne
    18 years ago

Maddie - Joanne wants to be included in the exchange too. I forgot to say that I agree that was very strange that the guy showed up at your door. Did you see him? I was wondering if he was someone that you would've remembered from a flea market, etc. Tell Rog to not answer the door anymore at night.

• Wild_Chicken
    18 years ago

Yesterday (Wednesday) is my day off, so it was a microwave day for me.

Brekky:
    Microwaved a diet frozen broccoli and cheese stuffed potato
    (210 cals, 6 g fiber, 10 g protein)
    COFFEE

Snack:
    24 cheese pretzels (110 cals)
    COFFEE

Lunch:
    Microwaved diet Enchilada w/ Spanish rice
    (260 cals, 4 g fiber, 17 g protein)
    COFFEE

Snack:
    Pretzels (110 cals)
    COFFEE

To last a few days, I made a pan of lasagna and a pan of baked fruit (Add Splenda and a bit of cornstarch to apples, raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, peaches @ 350 for 40 minutes)to last a few days. I'm working solid through the weekend and need to have food!

Dinner:
    Lasagna (about 330 cals)
    1 cup of baked fruit

(While watching a TiVo'd Boston Legal-does anyone watch this show?---hilarious-IMO...
    Dessert:
    Clementine fruit juice and sparkling water - 100 cals.

I drank too much coffee, I know, but it was my day off!

Marci! Thanks for the cake link! :)

Maddie! HOORAY! for you!!!!!!! Sounds like a great place and LOTS of FUN for you! Maybe you'll hit the JACKPOT and win enough for your auction house! That casino sounds right up your alley - and you can actually say that you're rolling in the dough! LOL!
    Your story about the customer freaked me out. How strange. It's amazing how anyone can find anyone on the internet - too easy--so many maps, info, etc. And tell you BIL to CALL BEFORE HE VISITS so you'll know it's him! EEEEEEEEEEEEEK! Can you say alarm system and panic button. heyyyyyy....maybe I've lived in the city too long! :)

Raeanne~ Your choices look mighty good! You go, girlfriend! When does your family arrive? And congrats on scoring Martha tix! I love her. But I especially love when she does a show with her mom. Hilarious! Her mom is bossier than Martha is!

Jen! SO GLAD YOUR'RE back! Congrats on the weight loss! 2 pounds is terrific! My hat is off to you. I could never lose weight very well when my kids were tikes, but you are doing it, doing it!

Well, I'm off! My DD turned 15 yesterday, but chose to spend her bday with her boyfriend, but WE get her tonight! So, I'm shopping, and getting a hair dye today (for pics, so vain), and I have a conference with my 4th grader's teacher - no worries. Tomorrow is a LONG day, lots of flag folding ceremonies, no doubt. We've been having them all week. My fingers hurt-in a good way.

Buh-bye!

DeeMarie! Where are you?????????????????????????????????

And Gretchen, I totally miss you to the limit. Come back. :( Please.

• deemarie5500
    18 years ago

OK, I'm back! We arrived early this morning, and I've been busy with dry cleaners, laundry (8 loads!), banking, mail, and grocery shopping....oh yes, and I'm trying to catch up with all of you for the last 13 days....it's making me dizzy!

Maddie, please count me in on Christmas anything! lol Good luck with that new job, little lady!

[[[[Raeanne]]]]], my deepest condolences to you and your family on your loss. I lost my mom after a long illness, so I totally understand.

Suzanne, I'm happy that you got good news. Please take good care of him and don't forget to pamper yourself once in a while. That bottle of wine with your DFIL is a prime example of kicking back!

John, hope all is well with you and your potential job (and cold).

Amy, please take the good advice you got here. Hope this finds you a bit better.

Joanne, Jen, and Patti, it was good to see you all here while I was away. Patti, I hope life is improving a bit each day.

Marci, you willpower continues to astound me!

BJ, you are as energenic as ever!

Now, I need to get back to laundry.

Promise to check in often.

Take care, eat healthy, and NEVER, NEVER GIVE UP!
    DeeMarie (who will NOT be posting what she consumed on a 13-day cruise....Raeanne, I made your Fritos look like sugar-free jello! LMAO!!!)

• aka_raeanne
    18 years ago

DeeMarie - at first I was worried that it was your ship that the pirates were attacking, but then I started to think that you may actually be a pirate and were in hiding(that would explain all those cruises hmmmmm). It is great to have you back, I didn't realize you were going for that long. Thanks for your kind words.

BJ - we are going to Syracuse on Saturday and having the memorial on Sunday - my mom lives out there and we just thought it would be a lot easier on her.

I stopped at a store today and tried on a top, while looking in the mirror, I noticed how badly I needed a dye job. I immediately called the hairdresser (Dee & NH Suzanne met her) and she told me to come right in, I think she sensed the urgency in my voice LOL. The last thing I have thought about this past week was my hair - and it showed.

I got home late, so I went out to dinner with DH - glad I didn't have to cook.

• Tikanas2
    18 years ago

Hi!

Maddie, Congrats on the job! I hope that it turns out to be everything youve been hoping for. How scary to have a customer just show up like that! It takes a lot of nerve ( or a real kook) to do something like that!

Raeanne, you are on my mind. This is a very difficult time and my heart goes out to you. (((hugs!)))
    I am a big fan of leftover pot roast... : )

No fair, DeeMarie! I have been waiting to hear about your cruise! Hurry and get settled and tell us all about it! Welcome home.

Marci, I am passing on your cake recipe to a friend who is trying to diet and LOVES anything pumpkin! Thank you.

Welcome back, Jen.

BJ, You are really on track with your menus! My best friend swears by WW. Does it work for you?

Well, I have been so bad that I am ashamed to show my face here. I was so ravenous by the time I finally got lunch (2:45 pm!) that I totally blew it! I went with a friend to a Greek restaurant and wolfed down appetizers with too much pita bread etc. I have resolved to start fresh on Monday ( Iknow, I know! but I have 2 big dinner events over the weekend and my willpower is in the toilet right now!)

I don't know much about feng shui, but I am game!

Tikanas

• Joanne13
    18 years ago

Hi Everyone:
    Raeanne: Hugs to you girl - I too had to write my Dad's obituary 4 years ago. He had come with me to plan all the funeral arrangements (the best gift he could ever have given me). We were sitting at breakfast one morning after one of his treatments and he asked if I would write and say his obituary at the funeral. I found it the hardest task I had ever undertaken. But after many tears, many rehersals I got through it and closure for me was much quicker than others. My thoughts, and prayers are with you.

NHSuzanne - Your package is out in the posttoday for that upcoming "50th"!!!!!!!!! About time you joined the "50 decade" club!!!!

Golf course is closing next Tuesday (very sad) and we have been curling now for about 5 weeks.

Raeanne - thanks so much for emailing me about the Christmas exchange - appreciate that.

John - What can I say - I know I don't check in as often as I should, but what a way to mess a girl up. Thought we were on a new diet plan and I wanted to sign up in a hurry.
    Your too funny my pal! Keeping my fingers crossed about the job!

That's all for now - next weekend I'm off for the 3 day Michigan shopping excursion with my Sorority Sisters. Golfing today and tomorrow and doing my outside Xmas urns today.

Take care
    Joanne

• Joanne13
    18 years ago

Hi Guys - I know, twice in one day - it's a miracle!!!!

Here is a poem that is quite beautiful and always makes me sit back and reasses my priorities.

The Dash

I read of a reverend
    who stood to speak
    at the funeral
    of a friend.
    He referred to the dates
    on her tombstone
    from the beginning...
    to the end.

He noted that first
    came the date of her birth
    and spoke of the following date
    with tears.
    But he said what mattered
    most of all
    was the dash between those years.

For that dash represents
    all the time
    that she spent alive on earth.
    And now only those who loved her
    know what that little line
    is worth.

For it matters not
    how much we own;
    the cars...the house...
    the cash.
    What matters is
    how we live and love
    and how we spend our dash.

So think about this long and hard.
    Are there things
    you'd like to change?
    For you never know
    how much time is left.
    You could be at dash mid-range.

If we could just slow down enough
    to consider what's true and real
    and always try
    to understand
    the way other people feel.

And be less quick to anger
    and show appreciation more
    and love the people in our lives
    like we've never loved before.

If we treat each other with respect
    and more often wear a smile...
    remembering that
    this special dash
    might only last a little while.
    So when your eulogy is being read
    with your life's actions to rehash,
    would you be proud
    of the things they say
    about how you spent
    your dash?

Have a great day.
    Joanne

• besh
    18 years ago

Hello,

Well I got the most wonderful surprise in the mail from Patty. She sent me and beatiful chest (it reminds me of a treasure chest, feng-shui appropriate) it is in reds and greens, which is the color of my dining room and my bedroom and my guest room. How did you know? I also received a gift card to Bath and Body Works as well as a beautiful magnet with an "M" scrolled on it and a cute little angel magnet. Patty thanks so much for surprising me and making my day. It was perfect! (((HUGS)))

Joanne, I really like that poem. It makes you stop and think. Nice to see you posting.

John, when is the diet book coming out? It is sad, but some people would buy into your menu thinking it was the lastest fad. (I used to be one of them!)

Maddie, I am so happy for you about your new job. How is your kitty doing?

Tikanis, I am also a lifetime member of WW. I have been back and forth for years. I am on again and after 15 years of trying other diet programs I am finally convinced that this is the only plan for me. I am down 20#! I will tell you that the plan does not work well without exercise (as with any plan, I guess).

Count me in on the exchange. I love the feng-shui idea! For anyone that is a little skeptical about F.S., I am a true believer. I spent the summer feng-shuing (word?) my house and I know that I have already shared this with you, but boy did it make a difference. Lately things have gone a little "south" and I realized that my house was out of order since going back to school, so today I spending the day correcting that. I will keep you posted.

Raeanne, how are you doing? I am thinking of you.

Dee, welcome back. I thought of you also when I heard about the pirates.

Jen, it is great to hear from you! Give those angels a squeeze for me.

Marci, are you off from school today?

BJ, I love your menu's. Who makes cheese pretzels? They sound wonderful. I am a big pretzel fan.

I am off school today because of the holiday and we had yesterday off as well. :-) Yesterday I did errands and today I am cleaning. My Mom is coming for the weekend to attend my FIL 88th birthday. He is getting a little sickly and DH wanted to do something special for him. I need to make 4# of corton. All the relatives are French Canadian and love that stuff. Personally, I think it is something that you have to be raised on! One of my boys love it and the other is totally grossed out by it.

Enjoy the day. It is so cold here today, but promises to be a warmer weekend.

Love, Besh

• aka_raeanne
    18 years ago

Besh - What is Corton and 4lbs sounds like an awful lot LOL?

Tikanis - DH asked when I was making another pot roast - it really was very comforting and the weather turned cold, so it was perfect.

Joanne - I have read that poem before and it is beautiful and it is something everyone should think about it - wouldn't the world be a much better place!

Menu:
    B - Fresh pineapple and an apple
    S - handful of nuts
    L - 1/2 tuna on pumpernickel
    S - NONE
    D - Garden salad with balsamic dressing, 8oz sirloin steak, a small baked potato and I did eat it.
    1 glass of Pinot Noir and I did drink it

A short but brisk walk - no extra time in my day.

I know I should be SSing, as that works best for me, but I just can't get into it right now, so I will try to monitor my caloric intake a bit and exercise more.

• aka_raeanne
    18 years ago

According to Maddies website there are only 44 days until Christmas -can that be right?

Maddie - I was looking for some nice charms, but didn't see any, do you sell them?

• maddie_in_ky
    18 years ago

Hi all!

Besh--thank you for asking--we had more blood drawn on Weds, and when I spoke to the vet yesterday, he was very happy to see the white blood cell go DOWN. So, it's a bad infection, and not luekemia. Thank heavens--he's purring like mad, and playing some, and trying to bite me every now and then, so I am just thrilled beyond words!

Raeanne, no we don't. I wish we did b/c I need a tiny silver spider, and have not had any luck. I've even tried Ebay, but they're all too big.

Well, the new job is great--I mean, if i hafta work, this is a fun place. They have an employee dining room that has free food, 24/7. Breakfast, lunch, dinner--anythme. A huge salad bar, soups, breads, tuna/ham/chicy salads, chips, cookies, any drink you can think of, fresh fruit, cereals, fruit juices, and an ice cream machine. AND they are health conscious too--they always offer low fat alternatives to every thing, including baked chips, and WOW! Today was a special celebration, and they fed us grilled steaks (strips), fried shrimp, baked taties withall the toppings, fresh aspargus, steamed veggies, cake, and salad. All you kin eat, too. Unreal. And it's just down the hall form me, so I can eat when I get the urge. Oh, and they have a free gym fot the ees, too. It's not anything huge, but it is sufficent for my needs, and there are showers, and a 1.8 mile outdoor walking track, too. The people are very nice, too. It's a 20 person dept, and they cuss, and cut up, and have a good time. Oh, and you can come in anytime before 8:30, and leave when the dept is finished--We left at 3:30 today--pinch me--I think I'm dreaming! :):):)

Gotta go--

Any more for the exchange???

Hugs,

Maddie

• besh
    18 years ago

Corton (cor' tone) n. - A grey pate type subtance made from ground pork and seasoned with cinnamon and cloves. Resembles cat food.

• Wild_Chicken
    18 years ago

Hi guys,

Had a weird start to my day at work. A guy in his 20's got in a fight with his wife this morning at 6:30am, went down to the lake, wrote a suicide letter, then killed himself with a shotgun. First thing this morning, I retrieved his body. It was sad to think that he felt this was the answer this problems. He had a wife and a new baby. The rest of the day (3 services) was better.

I'm short on emotion right now, I'll post tomorrow, but wanted to get my menus on, so I stay on track. It helps to have to post what I eat, especially after a "DAY."

THURSDAY:
    Brekky:
    1 egg/ 2 egg whites cooked with
    a handful of spinach,
    4 slices Canadian bacon (60 cals)

Snack:
    Pretzels (110 cals) and a 1" cube of Brie cheese

Lunch:
    6 oz of 4-mushroom soup
    (from a soup bar at my local grocery store)
    A sliced apple and a handful of red grapes
    2 T of yogurt (to dip apple in)
    ...coffee...

Dinner:
    Lasagna (330 cals)
    Marinated veggies (cauliflower, carrots, artichokes, red peppers, green peppers, celery, tomato, broccoli, radish, pepper, and a little salt--chopped TINY and marinated in vinegar and light dressing)

Dessert:
    2" sq. piece of DD's bday cake
    (gave me a stomachache and turned me off to cake for a while, I guess)

FRIDAY:
    Brekky:
    1 egg/2 egg whites
    4 slices Canadian bacon (60 cals)
    Triple n/f s/f latte

(got the call, went to work)

Lunch:
    (late, at 5:30, wasn't hungry till then and actually MADE myself eat)
    Leftover lasana
    small fruit cup

Dinner:
    (restaurant with DH)
    Steamed clams
    1/4 of a fire grilled pita
    2 very mild coffee drinks

See you tomorrow.

My email is down for a couple of days, since we're changing ISPs, so if you email me, I'll be tardy in my response. ((((Sorrys ahead of time, okay?))))

Sometimes this is the only place I can come and spill. Thanks for that---means a lot, really.

• besh
    18 years ago

BJ, I am stunned. I know things like that happen and people don't see any other solution to their problems, but I can't believe that you had to come face to face with it. I am sorry that your day started that way. Today will be better. (((HUGS)))

Love, Besh

• marci_pa
    Original Author
    18 years ago

You mean a lot to us BJ, so spill away. That is so sad about the 20 year old. My former neighbor, 22 years old, killed herself a few years ago after a breakup with her boyfriend. If only she would have realized that life does go and that one day that ex-boyfriend would have been a mere memory. Now her family is left with painful memories. Her sister is getting married today and I know it is going to be hard without Jamie there. They were a close group of (3) sisters growing up.

Raeanne - I hope the service goes well. I have been thinking about you. And I wanted to ask, what part of Pittsburgh did DD get to see? Where does her friend live?
    Is she downtown or in the suburbs?

Besh - I did have yesterday off and I spent it shopping and relaxing. DD's birthday was yesterday (she couldn't come home) and DS's birhtday is 12/5, so we will celebrate them both at Thanksgiving and I wanted to get their shopping done. It was a beautiful day and I was just happy to be out and about.

NHSuzanne - How is DH doing? Is he behaving himself?

DeeMarie - Did I welcome you back? If not, welcome home. I too immediately checked out the story about the "pirates" to see if it could have been your ship. Aren't we all mother hens! LOL

Gretchen - I miss you too and wish you would post and let us know how you are doing.

Magic Kitty - Are you there? How's the weather in Florida? DS has been in Iowa the last 3 weeks, so he hasn't been able to enjoy the nice weather.

Joanne - Good to see 2 posts from you! It is so nice to have some of our MIA's back on the boards. That was a nice poem, thanks for sharing. Oprah's show on Thursday closed with her asking, "What have you done lately to make yourself proud." She challenged her audience to make every moment count and make themselves proud. Made me stop and think about the little things that can mean a lot.

Patti - So glad you are posting again too! What are you reading lately? I went to the half price book store yesterday and added 6 more books to my TBR pile. Like I needed 6 more books, but those bargain prices drew me like a magnet! LOL Give Dave a hug for me.

Tikanas - Sounds like you have such a busy schedule lately. Are you taking time for yourself?

Jen - I need to shop for a 2 year old for Christmas. What is Tara into these days. My Little Pony? Hello Kitty? What size does she wear?

Maddie - Sounds like your long wait for a great job has paid off. Congratulations! Having nice people to work with is a great perk. Our new teaching assistant is working out great and I am so glad we waited for that "one last interview" and hired her. And thanks for organizing the Christmas exchange again.

Thursday's menu:
    B - 2 pieces 100% whole wheat toast with 1 T natural peanut butter and 1/2 banana

L - Wrap made with whole grain tortilla, 2 oz. lean turkey, 1/2 oz. Swiss cheese, spinach and cranberry mustard. Mott's SF applesauce

S - Last 2 pieces of Halloween candy (DH wouldn't take it into work! Grrr...........)

D - Chili with grated cheddar cheese and 1 slice fresh Italian bread

Friday's menu:
    B - 4 oz. yogurt with 1/3 C Kashi Go Lean Crunch, 2 T sliced almonds and 1/2 a banana

L - Wrape made with whole grain tortilla, 2 oz. turkey, 1/2 oz. Swiss cheese, spinach and cranberry mustard

S - Skinny Cow peanut butter ice cream sandwich

D - Barilla whole grain spaghetti with my home made sauce

S - Amaretto Sour (It was Friday, what more can I say! lol)

Make today count!
    Marci

• aka_raeanne
    18 years ago

BJ - (((((HUGS)))) WOW, I feel so badly that you had to be up close to that situation. It is terrible when people feel or think that suicide is the only answer to their problem - very sad for everyone involved. Spill away - we all do. Please do something good for yourself and FUN.

Maddie - It sounds like the right job found you - finally. Even if it's not exactly what you were looking for - it sounds like you will be happy there in the meantime. What great percs. Glad to hear about the furbaby.

Marci - I'm not sure where in Pittsburgh she was, it must've been just outside of it, as she mentioned the pretty skyline view. I will ask her when I see her tonight. Amaretto sour sounds good - I never had one, but I love Amaretto and I love sours LOL - big surprise!

Menu:
    B - Peanut butter on toast - couldn't resist after reading Marci's menus
    L - Fresh Pineapple and tuna salad
    D - Broccoli and chicken stir fry with a little penne pasta
    S - Fresh Pineapple
    No wine, but I did have a couple small pieces of chocolate.

I have some work to do, before we head off to Syracuse. Have a healthy and safe weekend!

• deemarie5500
    18 years ago

Hi again!

I like the idea for the Christmas exchange, but I will need a good website at a beginner level to figure it all out!

The cruise was wonderful, Tikanas! It was not about the destinations, but the journey this time. The ship (Celebrity's Constellation) was one of the nicest I've sailed on. The food and the entertainment was the best I've experience in over 30 cruises. Each and every show was wonderful--some better than I've seen on Broadway; complete with Las Vegas style costumes. Amazing....12 nights of food, wine, shows, and casinos! We took home a bit more $$ than we brought, so we had fun and were lucky! We visited Charleston, SC and took a carriage ride, Grand BAhamas and Nassau (paradise island) which we've seen many times, St. Marteen, St. Thomas, and San Juan, PR. With the exception of Charleston, I've been to the ports several times, so I was content to sit on my balcony and read. I was invited to a wine/food pairing and a cabernet blending event--both fun times. Also went to a martini-tasting event (I truly missed you at that one, Raeanne!!!) I feel refreshed and relaxed.

John, if I wasn't married, I'd beat down your door and take you away from New England. Your sense of humor just floors me!! Don't ever lose it because it gets you through the tough times. My mom always told me I was one of the silliest girls she knew...I took it as a compliment! lol

Wishing you all a pleasant weekend. I just finished making some pumpkin/nut/coconut squares to take to our Department 56 Snow Village club tomorrow. The house smells so wonderful that I feel like sneaking a bite, but I will not.

Monday night, I go to a nutritionist. She wrote a famous book on carbs, and visited our corporation a few times. My health insurance is paying for it, so I thought I'd show her my food plan on WW and we can go from there. It's worth a shot at $15 co-pay, right?

BJ, stay on course and come here whenever. If you want to vent louder, feel free to send me a private e:mail and yell and scream all you want. I've got big shoulders!

[[[[[[[[HUGS]]]]]]]]]] for all who need them.
    Take care, eat healthy, and NEVER NEVER GIVE UP!
    DeeMarie

Sponsored