SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elphaba_gw

Think I finally have this weight loss stuff figured out

elphaba_gw
14 years ago

I have lost 46 pounds on Medifast. Started July 1. Pretty good. I have had some breaks. Which I could write a book about - all the things that came together to help me lose the weight. I have 54 pounds to go. My goal is 149.

I'm fairly sure I could finish this diet without needing the medifast people but using Ebay as my source for buying the Medifast products but oh well, still nice to go in and weigh and especially find out how muscle mass has changed (on a monthly basis).

I have learned finally at age 63 that we all REALLY are different, i.e. we must find what works for us which may not be a plan which works for someone else.

For those not aware, on the Medifast plan, you basically eat one meal of a measured portion of protein and low carb vegetable a day with remaining meals/snacks being their brand of shakes and/or bars. Plus some options like pickles and I can't remember what else, I usually take the pickles (dill).

But the really big eye opener for me is to finally recognize that that part of my brain (I think is it hypothalmus) which controls appetite doesn't work for me. To lose weight (and probably not to gain weight), I must lay out ahead of time precisely what I'm allowed to eat that day. Otherwise, I will keep on eating and eating until the refrigerator is empty just about.

I cook my meat portions ahead of time, weigh and containerize and if I cook enough freeze some of them. The fresh veggies, I allow myself to cook shortly before eating. No butter or oil but I do sprinkle with a little vinegar and I am very generous with salt. Luckily, I have no blood pressure problems, in fact mine is a little on the low side and always has been.

I fix my shakes ahead of time (better when they are ice cold) and put a Medifast bar with vitamins in a little ziplock bag.

What seems to work out of all this is that I know exactly what I'm allowed to eat or supposed to eat or can eat (not sure how to word this), but it makes it seem less of a deprivation if I know the WHOLE days worth of food and I allow myself to eat it all at once if I need to. Never have but there has been days when I have drank two shakes together but seems to work out over the day.

I definitely have a plan when I get off this diet in 5 months and that is to plan, plan, plan. What I can't freeze or measure in advance as far as the higher calorie stuff (veggies don't count) will not be allowed on my diet.

There's some other stuff I've learned this time around but too much to go into at this point. Guess I should wait to do that when I lose ALL the weight.

I really am very hopeful that I'm going to be able to keep the weight off (this time). My plan really makes me feel like this will be a lifestyle change and not just a diet. Thanks for providing a place for me to post.

Comment (1)

Sponsored