SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardengrl_gw

Anyone with Thyroid issues?

gardengrl
19 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I've been a lurker on the Garden Forums for years, but haven't ventured over here.

I'm 34 and I have had weight issues all my life. I'm 5'6" and have been anywhere from size 5 (when I was in the military) to a size 24 (when I was in an unhealthy marriage). In the last 3 years, I've managed to struggle very hard down to a size 12/14. I've also found out last year that I have Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism (very slow thyroid) and I take medications for this "disease." One of the notorious and sinister effects of this disease is unatural weight gain and an increased difficulty to keep it off, even under normal situations.

It all makes sense to me why losing this weight has been soooo darn hard. Basically, I have less than 50% of the metabolism than a normal person. Sticking to a diet religiously and exercising religiously gives me very little result. It's just the nature of my thyroid problem. A normal person can lose 5-10 pounds doing what I do, where I am lucky to lose 2 or 3, or worse GAIN! I've read all the books and been to the websites on hypothyroidism. I have an endocrinologist that basically tells me "that's the way it is." I take Synthroid. I diet and exercise. I DON'T eat junk food and in fact, eat very little compared to normal people who eat several meals or little meals.

I just feel like no matter what I do...I could starve myself, take pills, throw up (which I've done and then some), this weight won't come off and I will never be able to enjoy a "normal" quality of living. If I even eat what the strictest health guruhus (sp?) said I should, I will gain weight. I'm even terrified to have kids for the thought of gaining an ungodly amount of weight that won't come off.

I'm sorry to dump on all of you, but I feel cursed and hopeless. One of the hypothyroidism websites I go to tells us "hypos" to scream "IT'S NOT FAIR!" and it's not. Anyone else fighting this terrible condition? What are you doing?

Thanks for listening.

Comments (8)

Sponsored