Return to the Diet Club Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Low Carb

Posted by Panzees36 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 26, 04 at 22:06

What is your opinion of this new diet craze?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Low Carb

If combined with reasonable fat I think it is fine. Some people use it as an excuse to overindulge in fats (especially meats) and rewrite published diets to suit their own taste.
One good thing though is people with diabetes have a lot more choices at the stores since they must follow a low-carb diet anyway.
(Any diet should be supervised by a doctor to keep an eye on your blood counts.)
Kathy

o

The Atkins Diet has been around for a long time now. The Protein Power Plan is the one DH and I are doing; it is a modified version of Atkins. We can have up to 10 carbs a meal along with our minimum protein requirements which you figure from a equation chart the book has. We stay away from flour (white especially), potatoes (I bake potatoes, take out the pulp except for about 1/4 along the sides, butter and call them potato skins. Use butter and some non transfat margarines.

We eat green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini as our other vegetables along with lots of salads which I love. I love cheesecake so make these using several varietions I have picked up on the LowCarb Friends site. I use Splenda, 1/3 less fat cream cheese, sour cream and for cream I use Hood's Carb Countdown milk which is really rich tasting. I love the Chocolate flavor. DH has cereal most mornings using Special K low carb variety with the Hood's milk. Atkins has a cereal I like Morning Start Crunchy Almond Crisp. I buy the Special K at Wal-Mart but most of the Atkin's stuff I can find at Big Lot's, etc for lot's less money!! Found a Total Protein Low Carb cereal when I was at Big Lot's Tuesday along with Atkins corn muffin mix which I will need as it is getting cooler weather and soup time. I am waiting for someone to come along with a good low carb cracker!!!

We eat pork cutlets, talapia fish, tuna, salmon or beef and chicken in some form most midday and evening meals along with a vegetable and salad. No bread except for some low carb I keep for french toast, regular toast and a sandwich now and then. If we can't have the real thing we can do with out bread easily.

I have done Weight Watcher's, TOPS, Protein Power Plan in the past and the programs are as good as the person using them. If you stick with the guidelines they are all going to work. Doing PP/low carb is sure easier now that it was 5 years ago when we were on it due to all the low carb options now when you go to the grocery store-- but not all of the low carb options are that great-- taste wise. We are better off sticking to the basics but if you can't have the "real deal" the low carb items out there help.

I switched from WW to PP because DH is diabetic and wanted to try to get his blood levels back in line--it really helped when we were on it 5 years ago but we slowly drifted off and his sugar levels drifted back up along with both of our cholesterol and trigliceride levels. He is on Lipitor which I sure hope he can get off of--don't like the side effects of most meds.

Exercise, Water and Portion Control are stressed on PP as well as most other programs I have been on and is a real Key to success!

Susy/Missouri

o

Yes, the Atkins diet has been around for quite some time. Dr. Atkins was my physician in NYC in the 1960s.

As I say so often, diet is an individual thing. If I had continued eating those Atkins-recommended saturated fats all these years, I probably wouldn't be around today. On the other hand, I gained weight and dangerously increased my triglycerides on the largely vegetarian, high complex-carb diet I fed to my family (and they thrived on).

So nine years ago, when I made a last-ditch effort to lose weight and get healthy, I greatly reduced the carbs and the saturated fats. For me, this was the best way to go.

I think most people would benefit by eliminating sugar and white flour, but some people seem to be able to tolerate anything.

Susan

o

No matter what "system" you use, it MUST be something you can do every day for the rest of your life. So many people go on these fad diets and lose a lot of weight, but they cannot stick with it. I personally had no success with Low Carb because I hated what I was eating. I hated knowing I couldn't eat certain things. For me, it's all about exercise and portion control. That's it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Diet Club Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here