Return to the Diet Club Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vegies Frozen or Canned

Posted by kraftdee (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 23, 08 at 23:47

I just started a diet to take off about 5 lbs+ lbs.
It primarily consists of lots of vegies and protein.
I do fine making fresh vegies a couple times a week but I need to have something easy on hand at those times that I can't get to the store but need the vegie as part of my meal.
Does anyone know of frozen vegies or cans that you would recommend I try? I'm eating broccoli, cauli, zucchini, asparagus and green beans only. I can snack on celery and cucumbers but not alone as part of a meal. I've tried a few frozen vegies and they were rubbery or had texture problems. Maybe I'm cooking them wrong. If anyone has had any success, let me know how you did it. thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vegies Frozen or Canned

Kraftdee~The problem with canned veggies is that they use so much salt. Would you be willing to cook extra veggies when you are doing fresh & freeze part of those so that you will have your own frozen? That way they wouldn't be rubbery & you know they would be the way you like them. Perhaps take them out & freeze them a couple of minutes or so before they are as done as you like them. I wouldn't cook them 100% if I was going to freeze them but just blanche them. Hope this helps. :-)

o

Have you tried the Glad Steamer Bags? You could have your fresh veggies all chopped in the steamer bags and then just pop them in them in the micro. The times for each veggie is listed right on the bag. They come out perfect everytime. I love them!

Besh

o

thanks, yankandtex and besh. I will try what you suggest. I've never tried the glad steamer bags, will def try.
Still have to come up with something when I'm in a pinch.
What are your favorite frozen vegetable brands?

o

We so rarely buy frozen but I'd say that probably it is Green Giant. I think my Mom uses the steamer bags. They are really quick. We just never think to buy any when we are at the store. :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Diet Club Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here