Return to the Diet Club Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Suggestions Needed fro Wedding Shopping???

Posted by lunchlady1948 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 16, 06 at 21:47

My friends son is getting married in October and she has not even started looking for a dress yet:( She is only 4'10" and about 30-40 pounds overweight and does not know where to look for a dress. Do any of you have any suggestions of stores that maybe here in Southern Cali???

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Suggestions Needed fro Wedding Shopping???

I don't know what size that translates to, but I think Lane Bryant now carries Petite Plus sizes and that might work.

o

I did not know that, I wonder if they carry formal wear~~~I am off to the mal today and will check. If not maybe they know of other shops ThanXs.

I do not know her size either, the problem is she is so short. She is very depressed by having to get a dress and wanting to lose a few pounds, which I think would be very stressful to do right now with the wedding so close. We are a little dinner group of four and we have told her would go shopping with her and help, that is why I wanted to know of some places to go ahead of time, hoping it maybe less stressful for her.

o

I agree that dieting at this time is not good...just get the dress and worry about dieting later...I bought fat clothes to go on a cruise in May but kept right on dieting while I was gone and wouldn't be able to wear some of it now...I don't know how formal it has to be but I bought two dresses for formal stuff from J. C. Penney's...I love their clothes...good quality and no outrageous prices...

o

I was at the mall today and went to Lane Bryant~~they have no formal wear in the shop, but have a catalog she could order from. I stopped by a formal/bridal shop at the mall and they have no petites but you can tailor them. Nordstroms has plus sizes but nothing formal at all, but our Nordies is not a high end one.

I am thinking she waited to long~~~I asked her months ago why she did not go to a tailor and have one made??? LOL! I found a cute dress for me is I get invited LOL!!

o

Hi,

My son is getting married next month and I started looking for my dress in April, which was almost too late. I didn't think that was possible but fortunately I was able to order one from a Bridal Shop, however the alterations won't be finished until 3 days before the wedding.

What I did do when I wasn't having any luck with the bridal salons is ordered on line from Bloomingdales.com; Nordstroms.com; and Lew Magram.com. I ended up returning them all, but it saved a lot of time finding out what I did and didn't like on me. I also found out that many of the bridal shops have a room with dresses that you buy right off of the rack. A good seamstress can do any alterations and she should have it in plenty of time for the wedding.

Good luck.

Besh

o

Besh, I am afraid she has waited way too long and she knows it:( Her problem was she kept saying I am going to lose weight, she even says it now:( I think she has seen a few on-line that she liked, but I think she should have ordered them by now right??? I feel bad for her since I know she is feeling very stressed about it all:(

o

Finding the right dress is more stressful than I imagined it would be and believe me, I am not one to obsess over clothing. But your childs wedding is a big day. She can still order online, but I would pay the extra for rush delivery. The only problem she may have is if something is backordered. I'm sure she will find something, she just doesn't have the luxury of being picky.

o

David's Bridal is a chain store that also has an online ordering function. They do carry petite gowns. Here's a link to one that,in its petite sizing, goes up to size 16. Women's sizes to 26.

I'm not sure how petite their petites are. They say the bodice is 1" shorter and skirt 3" shorter than a standard gown. She might still need to have it shortened more, but if she could start with a petite gown, the alterations would be fewer.

I've known many brides who got their gowns from David's Bridal, and I've never heard one say they were disappointed with it. They are rather pricey, in my opinion, but I suppose everywhere is when it comes to your wedding gown. I paid less than $200 for mine 15 years ago, so seeing price tags in the $500 and up range just blows me away.

I hope she finds just what she needs. I know that must be stressful for her.

Here is a link that might be useful: David's Bridal petite wedding gown

o

Try macys-dot-com as well. They have a large selection and you can get a tailor to shorten the length.

As an aside, have her order a SPANX slip from Macys at the same time. The SPANX line has GREAT body shapers, so you can "feel" firm and look smooth underneath it all. I swear by them!

But above all, relax and ENJOY the moment of marital bliss! Stay away from the food table, drink LOTS of water, and stand sideways and behind someone in pictures---lol.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Diet Club Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here