SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
buglady_de

Dieting newbie--my story

Buglady_DE
19 years ago

Hello all! I'm not new to THS. I spend loads of time on the Kitchen forum because I am in the midst of a remodel. It is a slow process. I was in the planning stage for 18 months! But demo has begun now and things are moving along.

I turned 42 this week. Of course, DH and I went out to dinner for my birthday. And then we went shopping in a local dept store. At my age, I don't need more "stuff", but it has been awhile since I bought new underwear. So I went off to the Lingerie section, and we agreed to meet up later. After I got home with my favorite brand of undies, I was looking at the package, and I wondered if I really didn't need the next size up from the ones I bought. See, I was just at the Dr.'s recently and I weighed in at 170. Hmmm. Got the tape measure out and sure enough I need the next size up. As a matter of fact, I am only one inch shy of the top of the range for these panties. After that, I gotta go find another brand! And that was my "OK, this has got to change" moment!

I've spent the last couple of days gathering info. I am 5'7" and small boned. On my own scale, I weighed 166 that night. According to the weight charts I found online, I am ta-da officially overweight! I quit weighing myself years ago. I know my weight has been creeping up. My waistbands feel tight. In the spring, I bought jeans in a larger size. And I've been doing that over the years, but I thought that it would level off somewhere--no big deal. Now, I'm afraid it will just keeping going and going.

Almost all of the women in my family are overweight. And there is a lot of diabetes in my family. I was skinny all through my 20s. I used to wish I could gain weight. I always knew that it would catch up with me someday.

I have no experience with trying to lose weight by dieting. Several years ago tried to lose weight by exercising more. I like step aerobics and walking and hiking. Well, I never lost any weight. And I thought that I was eating sensibly then.

Over the last couple of years, I know my eating habits have deteriorated. So I need to figure something out. The Weight Watchers point system looks interesting. I read some previous posts here on it, and I went to the WW website. So I know I could join online.

I guess the first thing I need to do is to set a goal. The charts say that I need to get down to 150 to be a healthy weight (and out of the overweight category). So I could just aim for that. Ten years ago, I weighed 140. I thought that was a good weight, but maybe that is unreasonable now.

The main obstacles that I see for myself is that I have no concept of what it's like to lose weight. I've only seen the scale go up. Never down.

Also, the prospect of recording everything that I eat sounds tough. I wrote it down yesterday and today. And looked up the WW points on another poster's website linked in another thread. It was interesting to see the points. But it will get old real fast!

This morning I took a 40 min. walk. I'm going to have to clear out some space to do my step aerobics. There are boxes everywhere due to the remodel!

Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself. All advice is welcome!

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer